Power connections stop working after a while

Started by Redrabbitromp, September 03, 2014, 09:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redrabbitromp

I'm running on a Lenovo W500 laptop, Windows 7 x64.  At first everything works, but after a while new electric appliances cannot be connected to the power grid.  The old appliances still function but any new ones act as if they are not connected.  Clicking reconnect does nothing.  Restarting the program or even rebooting doesn't solve the problem.

StorymasterQ

That's weird. Perhaps if you post your save game, people can help?
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Redrabbitromp

Sure Storymaster
Mostly I was reporting a bug without really expecting a fix since it's alpha but I've attached a demonstratory picture and because the save file is to large to attach you can download it from the following link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9e2HNr2FXAiVlNjcFluLVJjR3c/edit?usp=sharing

It's not just light bulbs that don't work though it's everything that requires power that has this problem.  It seems that everything works fine until some corruption occurs then nothing works.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Aporatael

Quick question before anything else.  Do you have enough power for the new things being added?

SubZeroBricks

Quote from: Aporatael on September 06, 2014, 03:01:43 PM
Quick question before anything else.  Do you have enough power for the new things being added?

Was gonna say that :-)

Make sure you have connected the lights correctly to a power source. Check for breaks in the wires.
"The only time you have too much fuel on board is when you are on fire."

Coenmcj

I downloaded the save, went to go check on a clean install of Alpha6, but I can't seem to load the save.
(Rapid flashing, screen going all retro colours)
what mods have you got running?

Without being able to load the save, I would think you're only getting just enough power for the light
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

SubZeroBricks

Quote from: Coenmcj on September 07, 2014, 01:23:22 AM
I downloaded the save, went to go check on a clean install of Alpha6, but I can't seem to load the save.
(Rapid flashing, screen going all retro colours)
what mods have you got running?

Without being able to load the save, I would think you're only getting just enough power for the light

I had the same issue, perhaps the save is corrupt?

Shinzy

Doesn't the save files require the world file now aswell (or atleast world of same seed/name?)
anyhow looking at the image they should all be connected, if reloading the game doesn't fix it
it's very likely you just don't have enough power stored to actually power them all

either that or something has broken the game, in which case I'm of no help! =P

Redrabbitromp

I don't know about the save file but I did figure out the problem; operator error.  It was a simple lack of power, however I did not realize this was the case, because the readouts on my power plant lead me to believe that my power was not being used at capacity.  Thanks for your interest everyone. 

Shinzy

Quote from: Redrabbitromp on September 07, 2014, 06:28:59 AM
I don't know about the save file but I did figure out the problem; operator error.  It was a simple lack of power, however I did not realize this was the case, because the readouts on my power plant lead me to believe that my power was not being used at capacity.  Thanks for your interest everyone.

ooh! keep some batteries around the base! that's easiest way to have some visual cue if you got enough power for your base
since the power stuff isn't shown at the resources panel at the side of the screen like it *should* imo! =P

I'm glad you worked it out!

Coenmcj

Good you got it working. :) Teaches you something for the next time your stuff stops working.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

SubZeroBricks

Quote from: Shinzy on September 07, 2014, 06:57:59 AM
Quote from: Redrabbitromp on September 07, 2014, 06:28:59 AM

ooh! keep some batteries around the base! that's easiest way to have some visual cue if you got enough power for your base
since the power stuff isn't shown at the resources panel at the side of the screen like it *should* imo! =P

I'm glad you worked it out!

Remember not to spam batteries though as they work as 50% efficiency, IMO 9 is a good amount for a long while