Always the same end: Cabin fever

Started by TheFluffyDuck, September 04, 2014, 05:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFluffyDuck

Every game I play ends the same way.  People get hungry I put them in the brig.  People get hurt I put them in the brig. People lose moral after a fight I put them in the brig. People get psionic blast, I put them in the brig. etc.

And the brig always ends the same way; 90% of my colony in the brig, one person trying to warden them all, who is also on edge, then I get raided.

Some of this is balancing with an Alpha, but brig-end seems to snow ball. What are peoples thoughts on this?

SSS

...Could you stop putting them in the brig? Just spruce up the environment a bit and get a farm large enough to provide a steady stream of simple meals.

As for psionic blasts, there's not much you can do there. I preemptively arrested a hypersensitive colonist when that happened to me recently- she went on a psychotic rampage twice. She was beating the other prisoners. I had to put her down both times. Thankfully she didn't die- and thankfully she wasn't the only doctor anymore. It would have been sad to see one of the original three go that way.

Anyway, in a worst case scenario you could deconstruct one of the prison walls. All of the prisoners will try to escape and will lose the cabin fever after they get outside. Then you just have to rebuild the wall and drag them back.

Xerberus86

Quote from: SSS on September 04, 2014, 06:43:16 AM
...Could you stop putting them in the brig? Just spruce up the environment a bit and get a farm large enough to provide a steady stream of simple meals.

As for psionic blasts, there's not much you can do there. I preemptively arrested a hypersensitive colonist when that happened to me recently- she went on a psychotic rampage twice. She was beating the other prisoners. I had to put her down both times. Thankfully she didn't die- and thankfully she wasn't the only doctor anymore. It would have been sad to see one of the original three go that way.

Anyway, in a worst case scenario you could deconstruct one of the prison walls. All of the prisoners will try to escape and will lose the cabin fever after they get outside. Then you just have to rebuild the wall and drag them back.

well the biggest problem about this event isn't the rampaging, thankfully they drop their weapons and if they are armored to a certain degree (mine had all armor vests) then they beat each other unconscious so that the non-insane can rescue them.

in my current fort i had this once and it almost killed my entire colony, not because of the rampage but because of the healing process, colonists tend to starve while doing their jobs. someone feeding a patient some food and starving in the process is just hilarious, two days ago i had a woman hauling food die in the corridor or starvation....i mean c'mon, just take a bite.

BetaSpectre

Flowers, Daylilies

Outside farm/construction events

That is all
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Xerberus86

Quote from: BetaSpectre on September 04, 2014, 06:28:24 PM
Flowers, Daylilies

Outside farm/construction events

That is all

don't forget big enough bedrooms and a good-sized outer area, my first colonies died within an hour or two because all went on a rampage, since i now know that every colonist needs at least a room with 25 open space (bed deducts 1 point cause walkable but not open space) i use the 5x5 + 3 format (or use 5x6) and i never had a rampage again, only if they are all shot half-dead and aren't fed enough.

Feniks

Also make a brig nicer place. My prison block is large so they can enjoy bonus of specious environment.  I provide them with a table to remove eaten from the floor debuff and with carpets and light to get rid of others. Usually my prison is the best equipped room so if anyone is on a verge if flipping I just draft them and tell them to stand in prison for few min and they are fine.

Also be proactive. The fact they get hungry is your fault make bigger farm with dedicated farmer/cook, choose your colonist wisely I have a roof of not taking anyone psionicaly sensitive they are too much trouble. Make they bedrooms nice rooms so when they recover after fight they get enough buffs to make up for it. Good idea is to have some meat saved and when you have drone situation start serving fine or lavish meals to increase morale and keep them sane.

ChrisW

What helped me is building a hospital.
Check out the link in my signature, the top right building has spaceous environment +5 and beautiful environment +15 buffs. Drafting even a hypersensitive person and letting her stand in there for a time gets me even through high psychic drone attacks with 48 intensity. If in doubt, draft someone else along with that one and let them chat in there.
The town square helped a lot, too. Beautiful place, only tables declared as gathering spots, so people eat and chat there exclusively.
Check out my Shooting Range in my Western Town to catch some ideas ;)

(Pics updated 3rd of Sept. 14)