Favorite Alcohol

Started by Clayton, September 08, 2014, 06:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vagineer1

Quote from: Clayton on September 16, 2014, 06:58:10 AM
Has anyone ever tried real Absinthe? I'm getting a gift set for my birthday on October 30th, comes with the spoon and a cup and shit like that, along with a bottle.

Any notes on what I should expect? Does it taste horrible but get you pretty toasty?

I've heard of it but never tried it.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

Neurotoxin

Has anyone ever tried real Absinthe? I'm getting a gift set for my birthday on October 30th, comes with the spoon and a cup and shit like that, along with a bottle.

Any notes on what I should expect? Does it taste horrible but get you pretty toasty?

I've had it, although it was a long while ago and I only had one drink. It's kinda bitter if I recall correctly, thus the burning sugar. It definitely didn't have the burn of other strong alcohols. If you're looking for the green fairy drink it slowly. If you get drunk you drank it too fast.

skullywag

Real west country ales (England) or Gin (good gin not bombay saph..blegh)
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Clayton

Quote from: Neurotoxin on September 17, 2014, 05:20:59 AM

I've had it, although it was a long while ago and I only had one drink. It's kinda bitter if I recall correctly, thus the burning sugar. It definitely didn't have the burn of other strong alcohols. If you're looking for the green fairy drink it slowly. If you get drunk you drank it too fast.

Thanks for the advice; I never knew that the ban on real Absinthe was lifted off the US in 2007, so I've been searching pretty hard for a bottle and a set up. Finally found it haha, so excited.

Neurotoxin

Quote from: Clayton on September 17, 2014, 07:22:07 AM
Thanks for the advice; I never knew that the ban on real Absinthe was lifted off the US in 2007, so I've been searching pretty hard for a bottle and a set up. Finally found it haha, so excited.

No problem. I DO recall that with the one time I had it, I sipped it just enough to maintain a minor buzz. I didn't have much but by the end of my drink I was in one of the happiest moods of my life. It was clearly a minor high (from the wormwood) and ofc the minor alcoholic buzz. I wish iut hadn't been such a small bottle spread out among several friends so i could have experienced it more fully but we all had a blast and no single person really had very much. Of course, having some people or even just one other that you feel comfortable with partake with you can really make the experience exponentially better. I believe I had some very minor hallucinations, and by minor I mean just strange visual artifacts, like a few frame glitch in a video game, or similar to when you cast your eyes over a shadow quickly to think you saw something but on second glance there's nothing. :( Now I want a bottle of absinthe.

On a note about the absinthe ban, while it is now legal to produce and sell in the US it's strictly regulated to a maximum concentration of wormwood (the hallucinogenic) in ppm's. You're better off buying it imported if you really want a good "trip" from it. That said, being your first time and having exactly 0 tolerance US made may be perfect for you but I would definitely suggest doing some research on the concentration and effects and try to find a good strong imported bottle for your next purchase but they CAN cost upwards of $100. Enjoy and let me know how it goes for you, I'm always curious to hear other people's experiences with it.