hotkeys - like "m" for mining

Started by Xerberus86, September 04, 2014, 05:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xerberus86

now yes, "m" is already the hotkey for mining BUT you have to open up the architect menue, then open up the orders menue and then you can use the hotkey "m"....WHY?

if i have to move my cursor down there to open up TWO menues then there is no reason to not use the mouse for the last command, the hotkeys right now are pretty much pontless.

as far as i know there is nothing bound to "m" (for example), why not let us press "m" and then our cursor has the mining symbol?

also adding the options to rebind those hotkeys is pretty much a given since people might adjust them to better suit their playstyle.

Mystic

Quote from: Xerberus86 on September 04, 2014, 05:08:53 PM
now yes, "m" is already the hotkey for mining BUT you have to open up the architect menue, then open up the orders menue and then you can use the hotkey "m"....WHY?

if i have to move my cursor down there to open up TWO menues then there is no reason to not use the mouse for the last command, the hotkeys right now are pretty much pontless.

as far as i know there is nothing bound to "m" (for example), why not let us press "m" and then our cursor has the mining symbol?

also adding the options to rebind those hotkeys is pretty much a given since people might adjust them to better suit their playstyle.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but from the standpoint of the "why?", I think it is probably because at least some of the hot keys are reused for different operations in different menus, so the game needs to have the menu brought up first in order to know the proper context.

It certainly would be nice to have hotkeys that are global ... or failing that, even hotkeys (perhaps the number keys?) to open up the various menus without needing to grab the mouse.  That way, if I want to have some rocks hauled away, I could at least hit "1" to open the Orders menu and then "H" to activate the hauling action cursor, and my hands wouldn't need to leave the keyboard to do it.  As it is now, yes I can hit Tab to bring up the most recent menu, but if that isn't the one I need (and it seldom is) then I must mouse over to the lower left and make a selection to get to the needed menu before using another hotkey.

Xerberus86

Quote from: Mystic on September 04, 2014, 06:08:19 PM
Quote from: Xerberus86 on September 04, 2014, 05:08:53 PM

I don't disagree with anything you said, but from the standpoint of the "why?", I think it is probably because at least some of the hot keys are reused for different operations in different menus, so the game needs to have the menu brought up first in order to know the proper context.

It certainly would be nice to have hotkeys that are global ... or failing that, even hotkeys (perhaps the number keys?) to open up the various menus without needing to grab the mouse.  That way, if I want to have some rocks hauled away, I could at least hit "1" to open the Orders menu and then "H" to activate the hauling action cursor, and my hands wouldn't need to leave the keyboard to do it.  As it is now, yes I can hit Tab to bring up the most recent menu, but if that isn't the one I need (and it seldom is) then I must mouse over to the lower left and make a selection to get to the needed menu before using another hotkey.

ah ok, i wasn't aware of that, so far i only saw "m" used for mining and "h" used for hauling. but the keyboard has enough keys and the only keys currently used frequently are 1-3 for speed adjustment, space for pause, wasd (or arrow keys) for camera movement and q+e for item roation. there is plenty room for unique hotkeys and right now there aren't so many keys used in general.

also this doesn't mean that every order / everything in general has to be bound to a hokey, just things like haul, mine, doors, lamps, chop tress, harvest, etc. should we able to use with one key insted of moving the camera to the bottom left corner and clicking on three subsequent buttons.

also the screen edge movement with the mouse is glitching most of the time sadly so you have to use the wasd / arrow keys. thats why currently its bothering me a bit, you are forced to have your left hand on the keyboard anyway so using it to make orders would come in handy.

Coenmcj

Since I can't actually remember what hotkeys do what, It's just second nature now.. so excuse me if they're in use.
What about Q/E to switch between menus, since mods can add more menus, and you would need 8 hotkeys for the menus in vanilla alone.

Unless of course there is a hotkey for menu's and it's just obscure, like the , & . for colonists
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Mystic

Quote from: Coenmcj on September 04, 2014, 08:33:03 PM
Since I can't actually remember what hotkeys do what, It's just second nature now.. so excuse me if they're in use.
What about Q/E to switch between menus, since mods can add more menus, and you would need 8 hotkeys for the menus in vanilla alone.

Unless of course there is a hotkey for menu's and it's just obscure, like the , & . for colonists

I believe Q and E are used to rotate objects before placing them (very useful, BTW). But it is a point well taken about mods potentially adding additional menus. I wouldn't have known that since I invariably play all games in their vanilla form … I don't think I've ever downloaded a mod for any game in my entire life, in fact.

Coenmcj

I'm pretty much the same way, the majority of the games I play are vanilla, but in cases such as rimworld where it's supported and the community is thriving, you just can't help it or in Minecraft, because there's nothing better to do.

In games that are mod supported, sometimes they need to be supported in the simplest of ways, as overcomplicating things tends to make it harder to mod. For instance, hotkeys need to be somewhat generic, eg. They switch menus, but not specific menus. otherwise some overhaul mod is going to have a hard time when someone presses the hotkey to access a menu that the mod has removed.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

ChrisW

Check out my Shooting Range in my Western Town to catch some ideas ;)

(Pics updated 3rd of Sept. 14)