SPACE WAR!!!

Started by BetaSpectre, August 28, 2014, 01:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BetaSpectre

Something for the distant far away future.

Ship Cargobay/Weapons/Shields - Basically more ship upgrades; I'm thinking something that could be viewed in different ways once in space would be nice with an FTL overview or Starbound sideview

Ship to Ship battles because other people might not be undefended or not like you bombarding their people

Using Ships to assualt other colonies/(mine/kill)asteroids/Raiderbases/Your own colony
The ships will either land for a ground team to scavange/attack or will simply fire artillery with Mortar or so Accuracy for a cost of one missle each shot (recharge based on guns)

Tractor Beams for space probing I mean slavery err...Aggressive procurement of human resources.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Timber

I would rather see the ground combat expanded imho.

Maybe get the ship involved somehow? Like instead of loading it with cryo pods equip it with misile launchers and mortars and leave it in orbit. Then call in orbital strikes with a comms console. Something like that.
I ask not for a lighter burden but for broader shoulders. -Atlas

stefanstr

Sorry guys but I do not like the idea. I feel it would detract from the core experience.

Minato

Quote from: stefanstr on August 28, 2014, 10:38:46 AM
I feel it would detract from the core experience.
I don't think so. Just imagine building that massive ship and sacrificing few colonists to pilot/man it. It is pure late-game stuff,so it would be a nice expansion to rather boring (by my opinion) 10+ hours games

Iwillbenicetou

I think it should be in. Because I don't like end game. It's just you're gone. It's over that's it. I like this idea. It's like another stage. Or you could choose to just end it there and end the game.
Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!

BetaSpectre

The core experience isn't hampered greatly by this addition. In fact its expanded by having a mobile base where you can explore OTHER regions of your world without creating a new game.

Exploration games are always something people enjoy no one likes a closed sand box without the ability to move out.

And for the ship limitations should be implemented to not be simply be about keeping that one ship or there can be an event where the ship breaks and you start a new colony again possibly upon the ruins of an old one if your ship is too big (a huge target) or flies too far out of a "safe" zone.

It'd just be fun late game stuff and like all suggestions its simply blasted out into space for people to mull over and if its something people like, The idea will be repeated and expanded upon in the far future IRL.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
                           TO WAR WE GO

StorymasterQ

Having a ship go up and then "moving the game" to follow that ship is akin to playing Sim City 2000 (remember the good old days?), making the Space Arcology, have it launch, and then "move the game" to follow it.
Or Civilization, making the ship to Alpha Centauri, and then "move the game" to follow the ship.

That's a HUGE change. That's effectively a new game. New core mechanics, new UI, new things to do, new materials to gather, new challenges, new experiences, a whole 'nother game.

I don't think you ought to fool yourself into thinking that can still be called "RimWorld". Much like the Arcology is no longer a Sim City game and the space ship no longer a Civilization game, this ship we're talking about is no longer a Rimworld game.

Don't get me wrong, it CAN be made into another game, but it's another game altogether, not a part of Rimworld proper. Rimworld may, for instance, when launching a ship, generate an "end-game file" containing the stats of the ship, e.g. colonists, any included wealth, etc.

Said file can then be fed into another game (that's, ANOTHER game) which can then follow that ship in all its travels. Meet new people, trade, fight, crash into another Rimworld, upon where it generates yet another seed file that Rimworld can use to create a new game.

THIS IS A GAME CYCLE I WANT TO SEE. Not ONE game doing everything, that's terrible design. Instead, have a game cycle spanning MULTIPLE games.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

TheGrover

Why not alloe a constructed ship be allowed to handle trading, depending on its cargo capacity, range (expensive fuel) etc. Obviously, making it fron dirt and rocks means that the ship should be unable to cruise the galaxy, but just the nearby rimworlds, searching for other colonies or settlments to trade with, at the cost of huge initial resource cost, followed by expensive fuel/consumables cost for each sortie, and the loss of colonists to fly the ship, handle the trade and secure it against pirates (a couple of colonists for each role doesnt sound too bad for late game)

BetaSpectre

If I have no control over my ship, then I will not like it that much.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
                           TO WAR WE GO

TankaaKumawani

The ability to do local relocation (on the same planet) might be viable. 

Escape from your lousy neighbors!  Find better weather and fewer mechanoids!  See interesting new wildlife!  Go on a trip with your friends!  Repeat your traumatic initial planetfall!

Necronomocoins

Quote from: StorymasterQ on September 01, 2014, 09:24:21 PM
Having a ship go up and then "moving the game" to follow that ship is akin to playing Sim City 2000 (remember the good old days?), making the Space Arcology, have it launch, and then "move the game" to follow it.
Or Civilization, making the ship to Alpha Centauri, and then "move the game" to follow the ship.

That's a HUGE change. That's effectively a new game. New core mechanics, new UI, new things to do, new materials to gather, new challenges, new experiences, a whole 'nother game.

I don't think you ought to fool yourself into thinking that can still be called "RimWorld". Much like the Arcology is no longer a Sim City game and the space ship no longer a Civilization game, this ship we're talking about is no longer a Rimworld game.

Don't get me wrong, it CAN be made into another game, but it's another game altogether, not a part of Rimworld proper. Rimworld may, for instance, when launching a ship, generate an "end-game file" containing the stats of the ship, e.g. colonists, any included wealth, etc.

Said file can then be fed into another game (that's, ANOTHER game) which can then follow that ship in all its travels. Meet new people, trade, fight, crash into another Rimworld, upon where it generates yet another seed file that Rimworld can use to create a new game.

THIS IS A GAME CYCLE I WANT TO SEE. Not ONE game doing everything, that's terrible design. Instead, have a game cycle spanning MULTIPLE games.
Just adding the ability to switch between the ship you construct and different colonies you may have created using the launched ship and at least 3 colonists, would barely change the game at all. You would be able to go through the game creation phase several times in one game, but start with your favourite colonists from the last launch.

Woolly

At first this idea didn't feel right.. but being able to pack up and move to another location seems very reasonable to me. You could pretty much reclaim all the materials from your base, pack up the food you have and blast off to a new land with your supplies. It would give a colony the longevity it sorely needs at the moment.

windruf

Quote from: Iwillbenicetou on August 28, 2014, 10:31:39 PM
I think it should be in. Because I don't like end game. It's just you're gone. It's over that's it. I like this idea. It's like another stage. Or you could choose to just end it there and end the game.

it should be a different game, that uses a special savefile (ship configuration and crew) to start a new game(or a new game+). and after that you can "drop" your ship and start rimworld on a new map with your crew and looted stuff