vehicles

Started by Xerberus86, September 05, 2014, 11:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xerberus86

would it be possible / feasable to add some vehicles to the game? especially later on when rimworld gets some more optimizations then with the big map settings having some vehicles would be !FUN!.

implementation could be either some fixed vehicles OR that we could build them like rooms ourselve :).

now with amputation, different biomes (and moddable biomes) and the possibility of crafting things out of virtually every material, who wants some PIRATES? :D

Timber

Maps are a bit too small atm to justify them tbh...
I ask not for a lighter burden but for broader shoulders. -Atlas

vagineer1

Quote from: Timber on September 05, 2014, 02:53:15 PM

Agreed, even the largest map is too small for vehicles.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

Xerberus86

Quote from: vagineer1 on September 05, 2014, 02:58:21 PM
Quote from: Timber on September 05, 2014, 02:53:15 PM

Agreed, even the largest map is too small for vehicles.

i am not talking about buses, buggies or huge vehicles but more like motorcycle-like things.

Krypt

I could definitely see having slow carts that can help haul a little more at a time. Balance them by making them big (2x2? 2x3?) and slower than walking speed.

Xerberus86

Quote from: Krypt on September 05, 2014, 03:29:32 PM
I could definitely see having slow carts that can help haul a little more at a time. Balance them by making them big (2x2? 2x3?) and slower than walking speed.

well in synergy with one of the other suggestions i made (fog of war), having someone scout on a motorcycle (old-school-rusty tin metal kind) and pick up some supplie would be nice. maybe a 60 to 70% tops speed increase and i am not talking about every colonist gets one, i am playing almost only with the TTM mod and there are things for workbenches and other important buildings you can't produce yourself but have to trade. those motorcycles would we only able to acquire via trade and they would cost a small fortune like 2000 credits and not every trade has one and ONE at a time in his inventory at maximum (or two).

Tumuel

How about mine carts on rails, to save hauling time in mines and whatnot, because most of my mines are a straight tunnel going into the mountain with branches coming out of it, so having a mine cart coming down the main tunnel would save a lot of time, in the new maps which do not always have a mountain covering one side of the map, it would be less useful though.

I don't know, mine carts have probably been suggested before, but I think they sound much more fitting in Rimworld.

Leird

Quote from: Tumuel on September 05, 2014, 04:20:50 PM
How about mine carts on rails, to save hauling time in mines and whatnot, because most of my mines are a straight tunnel going into the mountain with branches coming out of it, so having a mine cart coming down the main tunnel would save a lot of time, in the new maps which do not always have a mountain covering one side of the map, it would be less useful though.

I don't know, mine carts have probably been suggested before, but I think they sound much more fitting in Rimworld.

There have already been mods that did transport belts. But as long as minerals aren't mined in a mine, minecarts aren't really needed. That's my opinion anyway :)

Xerberus86

Quote from: Leird on September 05, 2014, 04:33:10 PM
Quote from: Tumuel on September 05, 2014, 04:20:50 PM

There have already been mods that did transport belts. But as long as minerals aren't mined in a mine, minecarts aren't really needed. That's my opinion anyway :)

well my use for them (vehicles) would be scouting if fog of war gets added, rescuing an incapacitated colonist, hunting & hauling animals and of course enemies would also sometimes appear with vehicles, motorcycle riding raiders....a raider biker gang :).

ComradeCrimson

What about trains or railroad type vehicles? You construct a railway line and then it can ship both goods, material and people across it and save time going across a distance. It'd also be a way to ferry large amounts of resources from your mines or farms out in the field- and present new ways to expand across the map instead of having your big mega hub become condensed and crowded.

Rail would obviously cost metal and possibly power, and the trains and carts would cost material as well- but it could be a very good long term infrastructural improvement to your colony, and something very well in theme of the pseudo Space Western with 40k influence this game portrays.
My Voice Acting library/samples:
https://soundcloud.com/comradecrimson
I am a voice actor for various mods like Rise of the Reds for Generals Zero Hour. Contact me via email if you need my services.

Woolly

Muffalo with saddle bags is about the only thing I would consider at this stage. I think the maps are extremely small as they are now.

ZestyLemons

Quote from: ComradeCrimson on September 05, 2014, 05:56:37 PM
What about trains or railroad type vehicles? You construct a railway line and then it can ship both goods, material and people across it and save time going across a distance. It'd also be a way to ferry large amounts of resources from your mines or farms out in the field- and present new ways to expand across the map instead of having your big mega hub become condensed and crowded.

Rail would obviously cost metal and possibly power, and the trains and carts would cost material as well- but it could be a very good long term infrastructural improvement to your colony, and something very well in theme of the pseudo Space Western with 40k influence this game portrays.

I'd dig some light rail in the game. Colonies get pretty spread out in the late game, and it's hard to keep them efficient.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

windruf

i think a vehicle is like a "movable building" and to man it works like in criopod

i thought of 2 types:

pickup: after manning it you can send it to a place where loot is and it starts collecting it in a radius around it.(like trader beacon) if there is nothing more or it is full or you send it back, it will drive back to his parking loot, drop all collected stuff and release driver.

tank: like a movable turret. the more people will man it, the more and better guns will shoot.

feel free to use it in a mod