Burning solar panels

Started by MoneyFish, September 06, 2014, 12:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoneyFish

I don't know if this qualifies as a bug, but there is an unfortunate a side effect of the solar panels being so large.
Whenever one is lit on fire, the colonists can't get to the fire in the middle of the panel. There is no way to prevent a solar panel from burning out, short of praying to the rain gods.
Word to the wise: When building a solar farm, don't build them directly touching each other... :o

bobucles

This is true for ANY object 3x3 or larger. While citizens are excellent at punching out fires, they have no way to remove a fire that they can not reach.

Can you deconstruct the panels?

Rahjital

Yes, the panels can be deconstructed, which instantly douses all the fire on it. It's better to let them burn, though, because you'll get more metal back that way.

MoneyFish

I'm less concerned with the resources than I am about the game-breaking effect of your whole solar farm burning to the ground in the middle of a bandit attack.
I just wanted to bring attention to this. I think it could easily be patched out by making your pawns able to douse any object on fire by simply hitting any part of that object.

RemingtonRyder

It is annoying, yep, but there are some ways to make solar panel loss less likely.

First of all, never have them just standing about in the open.  Wall them off with stone to make it less likely that fire will spread to them.  Obviously, make sure you can still get in to douse any fires that do start.  As a side bonus, this means it will be less likely that they will take collateral damage in a gun battle.

Secondly, leave at least a tile between a solar panel and those walls, and never place two solar panels close to each other - leave a gap of three tiles to be safe.

Thirdly, put them a fair distance from things which are flammable or which explode.  Batteries being one.

Finally, despite your best efforts, you may lose generators.  So to avoid power interruptions, make sure that your conduits can still transmit power to where it's needed if a generator is knocked out.

MoneyFish

Those are all good strategies, but still doesn't fix the problem that if one DOES catch on fire, it's as good as lost.