Mental break more and more often?

Started by Cassey, November 05, 2013, 11:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassey

Hi all - Have a game going in cycle 7, day 2.

Noticing some of the crew will go from "normal" to "Mental Break Imminent" in one turn.  The only way I've come up with to solve this is to free them from all work.  Even having a single task seems to stress them out.

At this point in the game, managing their mental health is my primary task - from unassigning them to addressing idle workers and back again.

They have a walled in room, with carpet and plants, and no graveyards or related things close by.  One crew member cleans regularly.  Just can't figure out why I'm having so much trouble - I'd think they would be happy.

Is this just one of the every increasing "challenges"?

ticktockbent

Have you looked at their thoughts to figure out what is negatively impacting their happiness/loyalty?

Bobthefarmer1

Do they get outside? do you have lights? do they have social interaction?

Cassey

Quote from: ticktockbent on November 05, 2013, 11:50:20 AM
Have you looked at their thoughts to figure out what is negatively impacting their happiness/loyalty?

Not as often as I should.  "Ate Nutrient Paste"?  Is there another option to feed them?  Seems like they always go to the dispenser even when there is plenty of stored food.  Does food variety matter?  e.g.  Should I be harvesting wild plants?

Cassey

Quote from: Bobthefarmer1 on November 05, 2013, 11:56:46 AM
Do they get outside? do you have lights? do they have social interaction?

They get outside a lot.  No lights though, will add some when I rework the bedrooms.  Guessing eating at the table qualifies as social interaction.

SteveAdamo

Quote from: Cassey on November 05, 2013, 12:39:48 PM
No lights though, will add some when I rework the bedrooms.  Guessing eating at the table qualifies as social interaction.

definitely add lights, both in their bedrooms, and in exterior areas, in the event they do some work at night (you will definitely see one of their negatives as "afraid of the dark", or something along those lines... ;)

and yes, if you build them some tables / chairs, they can sit together, which im sure increases the chance of social interactions...

Pendryn

Reticulating all the splines.

Cassey

Quote from: SteveAdamo on November 05, 2013, 12:44:32 PM
Quote from: Cassey on November 05, 2013, 12:39:48 PM
No lights though, will add some when I rework the bedrooms.  Guessing eating at the table qualifies as social interaction.

definitely add lights, both in their bedrooms, and in exterior areas, in the event they do some work at night (you will definitely see one of their negatives as "afraid of the dark", or something along those lines... ;)

and yes, if you build them some tables / chairs, they can sit together, which im sure increases the chance of social interactions...

Oh!  Lights outside!  I hadn't thought of that.  I don't like the Sun Lamps - they burn way too often, but regular lights can't hurt!

SteveAdamo

Quote from: Cassey on November 05, 2013, 02:18:11 PM
I don't like the Sun Lamps - they burn way too often, but regular lights can't hurt!

definitely dont use the sun lamps... they are power hogs... ;)

and as pendryn mentioned, carpet their bedrooms, and update the other walkways as well... makes a difference! :)

ticktockbent

Quote from: Cassey on November 05, 2013, 12:38:26 PM
Not as often as I should.  "Ate Nutrient Paste"?  Is there another option to feed them?  Seems like they always go to the dispenser even when there is plenty of stored food.  Does food variety matter?  e.g.  Should I be harvesting wild plants?
As far as I've seen, nutrient paste is the least terrible food option. Without it they eat 'raw food' which is even worse for their mood.

Give every person a 4x6 or bigger room with a bed that doesn't touch the wall, carpeted floor, and a light. That should go a long way towards fixing their mental issues. Make sure nowhere they go is dark at any time, and dispose of corpses far away from your colonists. Keep one guy on cleaning full time.

Cassey

Seeing a complaint of "Cramped Environment".  Any clue?  Most now have individual bedrooms (3x5 with a bed and a lamp).

Semmy

cramped enviroment also includes walking and workplaces.

My halways always are 3 wide.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Cassey

Quote from: Semmy on November 05, 2013, 03:01:10 PM
cramped enviroment also includes walking and workplaces.

My halways always are 3 wide.

Actually, ended up being a stupid mistake.  Somehow the door to the room disappeared!

Tiberiumkyle

6x6 bedrooms are needed for them to not feel cramped.  I carpet everything, along with potted plants everywhere, several per room if there's space.

Brynath

Quote from: Tiberiumkyle on November 05, 2013, 03:04:40 PM
6x6 bedrooms are needed for them to not feel cramped.  I carpet everything, along with potted plants everywhere, several per room if there's space.

If 6x6 is needed for them to not be cramped we need more things to put in their rooms! they look so bare when they are that huge.