Science Fiction Movies

Started by Kalesin, September 21, 2013, 05:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalesin

Before going to sleep, empizo thread to recommend these great works of science fiction film format we all should have seen.

I start with two great classic.

FORBIDDEN PLANET

INVADERS FROM MARS

Tynan

I think Solaris is really underrated. I liked it more after I read about the book and the ideas behind it. I quite enjoy the idea of a completely alien and unknowable intelligence, seemingly omnipotent, taking actions that human beings cannot come close to comprehending. It's the opposite tack of most sci-fi, which is to take the exotic and compress it until it is familiar (e.g. humanlike "aliens" with rubber on their foreheads). Might also be what attracts me to Al Reynolds books.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

WolveNZ

Quote from: Tynan on September 24, 2013, 01:09:08 AM
I think Solaris is really underrated. I liked it more after I read about the book and the ideas behind it. I quite enjoy the idea of a completely alien and unknowable intelligence, seemingly omnipotent, taking actions that human beings cannot come close to comprehending. It's the opposite tack of most sci-fi, which is to take the exotic and compress it until it is familiar (e.g. humanlike "aliens" with rubber on their foreheads). Might also be what attracts me to Al Reynolds books.

Would that be the 1972 One or the 2002 one?

Kalesin

I have not read the book and film only saw the new version. I will try to get the book, I have ever recommended.

Tynan

Quote from: WolveNZ on September 24, 2013, 03:10:33 AM
Would that be the 1972 One or the 2002 one?

2002. Never saw the 1972; I probably should.

Jakadasnake

Oblivion was conceived on a similar basis. Enjoyed that one.

Yarkista

I quite enjoyed pacific rim, it was unconventional yet pretty good, a good start of tryin to push gidIlla movies to a wester audience.

Zorbane

Quote from: Yarkista on September 25, 2013, 06:41:39 PM
I quite enjoyed pacific rim, it was unconventional yet pretty good, a good start of tryin to push gidIlla movies to a wester audience.

I really liked pacific rim too, although I don't know if you can include it in "Great Works of Science Fiction Filmography (tm)".  It's more of a monster movie (aka godzilla like you said)

One movie I really liked that I can't get my friends to watch is "Moon" with Sam Roberts.  You can almost think of it like a one person RimWorld.

Tynan

I thought Moon had an interesting premise and opening, but didn't it drag a little bit as it went on? Stuff just got weird, there, after a while, and the dude acting against himself and arguing with himself started to get kind of monotonous. Still, definitely worth watching.

Kalesin

Quote from: Tynan on September 26, 2013, 02:38:55 PM
I thought Moon had an interesting premise and opening, but didn't it drag a little bit as it went on? Stuff just got weird, there, after a while, and the dude acting against himself and arguing with himself started to get kind of monotonous. Still, definitely worth watching.

I also already seen, but not the end, think the story is very slow. One day I have to see it all.

Jakadasnake

I think what made that movie so great, in my opinion, is that it doesn't follow the tired model of your typical sci-fi blockbuster. That in itself was very entertaining. Definitely a slow movie, but I was so invested in his character that it was well worth it.

Tynan

Quote from: Jakadasnake on September 27, 2013, 03:42:55 AM

I think what made that movie so great, in my opinion, is that it doesn't follow the tired model of your typical sci-fi blockbuster. That in itself was very entertaining. Definitely a slow movie, but I was so invested in his character that it was well worth it.

I guess in the end I didn't like his character. He was kind of a loser. How would they send this guy to be the one person in charge of an extremely expensive lunar facility? It made no sense that he was so surly.

Jakadasnake

Quote from: Tynan on September 27, 2013, 01:06:58 PM
Quote from: Jakadasnake on September 27, 2013, 03:42:55 AM

I guess in the end I didn't like his character. He was kind of a loser. How would they send this guy to be the one person in charge of an extremely expensive lunar facility? It made no sense that he was so surly.

My assumption is that he was overqualified. Either the job wasn't difficult or it wasn't difficult for him. But you could be right. I guess I'm a bigger fan of Sam Rockwell than I realize because I had no problems at all identifying with him. Ever since Galaxy Quest, he's been legit in my book. Haha

nomadseifer

I'm always surprised Solaris (2002) is so little known.  Its such a haunting film.  I periodically check to see if its getting a Blu-ray release.  No luck so far.  The only way I could get it on DVD was in a George Clooney 3-pack that included The Thin Red Line and One Fine Day!  Lucky for me, The Thin Red Line is another great movie.  Haven't got around to One Fine Day yet.   :)
Love of an Idea is love of god - FLLW

Jakadasnake

Check it out, Tynan slipped the Firefly inspiration in there without warning us here. I knew this thread should have included shows too. I mean, that show is pretty much like one 18 hour movie anyways. Just felt like it deserved mention here. I mean, I'm sure I'm not the only who pretends to be flying the Serenity in FTL and feels a tiny pang of guilt every time Jane mysteriously gets suffocated alone in the antechamber.