counters to every event - and other suggestions

Started by Mirar, September 07, 2014, 05:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirar

I suggest this:

Generally, every event in the game should have a counter. Hungry? You can make food. Need better food? You can make better food. Invasion? You can build defenses. More invasion? You can build better defenses. Need to sleep? Build a bed. Etc. Fire? You can build sprinklers. Electrical failure? You can build fuses.

Anyway, for any event there should be the possibility of building a support structure so you don't have to care about it. (This is of course balanced by the fact that you probably can't, because you don't have resources to build *everything*. But if you really hate fires, you should be able to spend a lot of your resources on sprinklers and neverhave to care about a fire event again.)

so, on top of my head from the above reasoning:

* electrical problems: fuses, switches
* fire: sprinklers or some other automatic extinguisher
* off-map drone: don't have an off-map drone
* psychological problems: let doctors cure psychological problems or create a new class. Entertainment - gaming table maybe?
* pirates building a base on your map - automatic mortars (or artillery) (exist in mods)
* too little meat - farm animals or fishing
* limbs missing - prostethics (from the mechanics production table?) (note: they don't have to get as efficient with a prosthetics, but at least they could walk again) (or wheelchairs)

also: make it possible to craft everything eventually, including medicine and emergency rations (and maybe even mechanoids?)

Redrabbitromp

TheXIIILightning

I thought that this was a request for a counter, like an actual one. ^^
It'd be fun to know just how many blights happened in one game, as well as visits, raids and such. I think the game only register the Major raids at the moment.

LordJulian

Building a fuse box that has a protective radius around electrical equipment and buildings seems like a great idea. Balances resources needed to build these things and yet does not fustrate the player much in micromanagement.

Mystic

I don't think every event has to have a counter. That would lessen the storytelling aspect of the game in favor of a munchkin-like min/maxing approach of building the perfect colony that is impervious to everything that can happen. As long as the events that can't be countered aren't invariably catastrophic to the colony, I'd vote to leave them as they are.  (E.g., rather than having a magic "anti-blight" research, I like the fact that I have to plan ahead to have enough raw foodstuffs to withstand such an event, or else have to go foraging for food in the wilderness to tide me over if I was not prepared.)

Also, fuses shouldn't allow electricity to keep working if there is a solar flare. If fuses were in the game, then the realistic approach would be that a strong solar flare doesn't just stop electricity from flowing, but actually physically DESTROYS electrical equipment, and fuses could possibly protect against the latter effect only.

But I do like the suggestion of adding fishing as a way to get at least small quantities of raw foodstuffs, kind of like the returns to be had from hunting squirrels. (I'm assuming that fishing isn't already in the game and I just haven't found it yet, because it wouldn't be the first time something like that's happened!)

Geokinesis

Quote from: Mirar on September 07, 2014, 05:41:35 AM
* psychological problems: let doctors cure psychological problems or create a new class. Entertainment - gaming table maybe?
* pirates building a base on your map - automatic mortars (or artillery) (exist in mods)
* limbs missing - prostethics (from the mechanics production table?) (note: they don't have to get as efficient with a prosthetics, but at least they could walk again) (or wheelchairs)

If you actually implemented all these counters you would be playing SimColony, all the raiders would die to automatic mortars, no-one would go hungry or have any issues. You'd just be making a pretty base.

You could just play on casual settings Phoebe Base Builder if that was your thing.

Quote from: Mystic on September 07, 2014, 10:43:23 AM
I don't think every event has to have a counter. That would lessen the storytelling aspect of the game in favor of a munchkin-like min/maxing approach of building the perfect colony that is impervious to everything that can happen. As long as the events that can't be countered aren't invariably catastrophic to the colony, I'd vote to leave them as they are.  (E.g., rather than having a magic "anti-blight" research, I like the fact that I have to plan ahead to have enough raw foodstuffs to withstand such an event, or else have to go foraging for food in the wilderness to tide me over if I was not prepared.)
Pretty much this.

Xerberus86

Quote from: Geokinesis on September 07, 2014, 11:31:21 AM
Quote from: Mirar on September 07, 2014, 05:41:35 AM

If you actually implemented all these counters you would be playing SimColony, all the raiders would die to automatic mortars, no-one would go hungry or have any issues. You'd just be making a pretty base.

You could just play on casual settings Phoebe Base Builder if that was your thing.

Quote from: Mystic on September 07, 2014, 10:43:23 AM
Pretty much this.

+1

if you don't like these events and you don't like to handle them yourself then phoebe basebuilder might be more your playstyle, or simcity. not meant as a rant but if we have counters to everything then we could as well remove all the events (or remove player input and make it a movie).

Mirar

Quote from: Mystic on September 07, 2014, 10:43:23 AM(E.g., rather than having a magic "anti-blight" research, I like the fact that I have to plan ahead to have enough raw foodstuffs to withstand such an event, or else have to go foraging for food in the wilderness to tide me over if I was not prepared.)

Ah, but I think you miss my point a bit. On normal setting, it shouldn't be possible to build all the (automatic) counters to all problems in a pace that makes you build them before the problem occur. But if you're really really tired of blights, then you should be able to first research an item that helps you against blights (fridges? pesticides?) and then spend enough resources on building these items. In the meantime, the storyteller will - probably - dump something else on you, that you now didn't afford to counter. But at least you have countered the annoying blights.

And as you say, having enough food stored is already a counter for blights. Having enough defences is already a counter for attacks. But when the game difficulty increases, they need to be looked after so you can have the possibility to have better and working counters - fridges, more efficient hydroponics, soylent green, artillery, your own mechanoids on infinite patrol routes...

Events that reoccur and just makes you sigh becaese you can't possibly do anything about them is just annoying and boring, and not very good storytelling, in my opinion.

Better storytelling would be to let me counter those things that already occurred, let me counter them automatically - ha ha! - and make up new things that I, as a base builder, didn't quite think of. Yet.

QuoteAlso, fuses shouldn't allow electricity to keep working if there is a solar flare.

I don't think so either. A fuse normally works by blocking very strong currents from occurring. So it's a counter from electrical problems - dumping all 100kWd into a single point - by triggering fuses. They most logical solution would be a square powerbox that breaks all incoming connections (2-4) if the current through it goes over a certain limit (right now in game that current is infinite, so it's easy to trigger) and releases again when repaired (repairing is already in the game).

When it comes to solar storms, a switch or fuse could possibly disconnect a mountain or indoors base electrical grid from the solar storm?

Also, the normal way of countering EMP (including solar storms) is to have shielded systems, Faraday's cages. This could be researched, and items and power lines could be built with EMP protection. For a cost. As usual.

So nothing should be for free. And you might fill your base with sprinklers, when you instead needed fridges.
What would be the fun otherwise? :)

Xerberus86

Quote from: Mirar on September 07, 2014, 12:54:12 PM
Quote from: Mystic on September 07, 2014, 10:43:23 AM(E.g., rather than having a magic "anti-blight" research, I like the fact that I have to plan ahead to have enough raw foodstuffs to withstand such an event, or else have to go foraging for food in the wilderness to tide me over if I was not prepared.)

Ah, but I think you miss my point a bit. On normal setting, it shouldn't be possible to build all the (automatic) counters to all problems in a pace that makes you build them before the problem occur. But if you're really really tired of blights, then you should be able to first research an item that helps you against blights (fridges? pesticides?) and then spend enough resources on building these items. In the meantime, the storyteller will - probably - dump something else on you, that you now didn't afford to counter. But at least you have countered the annoying blights.

And as you say, having enough food stored is already a counter for blights. Having enough defences is already a counter for attacks. But when the game difficulty increases, they need to be looked after so you can have the possibility to have better and working counters - fridges, more efficient hydroponics, soylent green, artillery, your own mechanoids on infinite patrol routes...

Events that reoccur and just makes you sigh becaese you can't possibly do anything about them is just annoying and boring, and not very good storytelling, in my opinion.

Better storytelling would be to let me counter those things that already occurred, let me counter them automatically - ha ha! - and make up new things that I, as a base builder, didn't quite think of. Yet.

QuoteAlso, fuses shouldn't allow electricity to keep working if there is a solar flare.

I don't think so either. A fuse normally works by blocking very strong currents from occurring. So it's a counter from electrical problems - dumping all 100kWd into a single point - by triggering fuses. They most logical solution would be a square powerbox that breaks all incoming connections (2-4) if the current through it goes over a certain limit (right now in game that current is infinite, so it's easy to trigger) and releases again when repaired (repairing is already in the game).

When it comes to solar storms, a switch or fuse could possibly disconnect a mountain or indoors base electrical grid from the solar storm?

Also, the normal way of countering EMP (including solar storms) is to have shielded systems, Faraday's cages. This could be researched, and items and power lines could be built with EMP protection. For a cost. As usual.

So nothing should be for free. And you might fill your base with sprinklers, when you instead needed fridges.
What would be the fun otherwise? :)

i am against sprinklers, but i am for some kind of fire distinguisher for the colonists. but i do NOT want to counter every event, i don't care if they are lategame items. i wanna keep playing the game and not watch it playing for me.

like i said, play phoebe if you don't like them, i highly disagree with this suggestion.