What diseases can we expect and what will they do?

Started by Ramsis, September 04, 2014, 03:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goo Poni

I imagine wound infections would be tied to being hurt, just going from the name alone. I'm pretty sure you don't spontaneously develop sepsis or go into septic shock without being wounded. Gangrene is also a possibility but "wound infection" is vague so I'll assume it's just general sepsis.

I'm curious as to what sleeping sickness is. I've never heard of it and a cursory google implies it's an infection that causes mental decay and eventual death if not treated.

Flu could be caught in the tundra easily if those biomes are opened up.

Malaria, well, we just need to go all FarCry2 and make sure everyone's dosed up to the eyeballs.

Plague, are we gonna start seeing tribal plague doctors? God pls no, I do and don't want random tribals visiting the colony and then getting all up in my colonists' grills thinking they have the plague.

EDIT:
Ninja'd.
@Vagineer, A GREEN BULLET HOLE!  ;D

DOUBLE EDIT:

I'm thinking too deeply into this, but I'm thinking that sleeping sickness is gonna be a thing where a colonist becomes unequivocally tired for no good reason and goes to lay down, at which point a day or two will pass and a diceroll event will occur, the outcome either being that the colonist picks themselves up after this unnatural moment of fatigue and then all that's happened is that the colonist was out of action for a bit. The other outcome is that they stay bed bound and are actually inflicted with sleeping sickness at that point. A few days of treatment with a doctor AND medicine (honestly, how are you gonna treat infections without medical supplies) should see them return to good health, however without supplies, their condition will deteriorate until death. An invisible sliding bar akin to the mood bar would indicate infection level and the equivalent of a mental break results in death, with medicine boosting this bar in the right direction, curing at 100% "mood". The aforementioned diceroll would lean in the player's favour notably with Phoebe and Cassandra, with Randy being a random 50/50 could-go-either-way and all three storytellers will lean more towards infection if you have more than their general colonist allowance.

I told you I thought too much into it. The sudden extreme tiredness could be a prelude to all the infections barring wounds, but then gameplay-wise, they're all the same underneath with a different lick of paint on top.

Xerberus86

Quote from: Goo Poni on September 05, 2014, 10:18:39 AM
I imagine wound infections would be tied to being hurt, just going from the name alone. I'm pretty sure you don't spontaneously develop sepsis or go into septic shock without being wounded. Gangrene is also a possibility but "wound infection" is vague so I'll assume it's just general sepsis.

I'm curious as to what sleeping sickness is. I've never heard of it and a cursory google implies it's an infection that causes mental decay and eventual death if not treated.

Flu could be caught in the tundra easily if those biomes are opened up.

Malaria, well, we just need to go all FarCry2 and make sure everyone's dosed up to the eyeballs.

Plague, are we gonna start seeing tribal plague doctors? God pls no, I do and don't want random tribals visiting the colony and then getting all up in my colonists' grills thinking they have the plague.

EDIT:
Ninja'd.
@Vagineer, A GREEN BULLET HOLE!  ;D

sleeping sickness as far as i am aware of is that the affected person is unable to sleep and therefor is unable to replenish his body with the needed energy, this of course is also a huge stress on the brain which uses the sleeping phase to sort things out and in general could of course lead to death like starvation does.

Goo Poni

EscapeZeppelin

Quote from: Goo Poni on September 05, 2014, 10:18:39 AM
sleeping sickness as far as i am aware of is that the affected person is unable to sleep and therefor is unable to replenish his body with the needed energy, this of course is also a huge stress on the brain which uses the sleeping phase to sort things out and in general could of course lead to death like starvation does.

Sort of. The sleeping problems are a side effect of the disease invading the brain, not a cause of death. The disease causes permanent neurological problems including "irritability, psychotic reactions, aggressive behaviour, or apathy" as it basically destroys the brain over a series of months. The real cause of death is progressive mental deterioration leading to coma and organ failure. A good addition to the game's disease list since it will be a slow burner with a gradual deterioration and increasingly unstable colonists rather than a pawn simply being unable to work until treated.

RawCode

Some kind of "ammo" for items will be great addition, both for mods that may add ammo for weapons without much issues and for med packs and similar items.
This also may improve usability of medicine skill, by decreasing medicine consumed and increasing quality of action.

Hand\leg scratch should cost 1 point of ammo, head gunshot may cost entire med pack.

CrazyRu55ian

I havent gone in depth into the changelog, but will there be a way to make splints from wood and gauze/medpacks from the future cotton resource?

I feel like there needs to be different version on medical supplies with varying "qualities" of healing. I know in the star wars universe, there were both Medkits and medipacs.

10 medipacs=1 Medkit
Medkits have a far greater chance of healing wounds with better quality. Maybe have "improvised medkits" as well? Just throwing ideas around.

Xerberus86

Quote from: CrazyRu55ian on September 05, 2014, 12:39:09 PM
I havent gone in depth into the changelog, but will there be a way to make splints from wood and gauze/medpacks from the future cotton resource?

I feel like there needs to be different version on medical supplies with varying "qualities" of healing. I know in the star wars universe, there were both Medkits and medipacs.

10 medipacs=1 Medkit
Medkits have a far greater chance of healing wounds with better quality. Maybe have "improvised medkits" as well? Just throwing ideas around.

some mods already include cotton as a resource so i don't think adding this would be difficult. apparello for example lets you craft clothes out of cotton which has to be grown, harvested and then sewn first.

Geokinesis

Quote from: ison on September 05, 2014, 10:01:59 AM
Each wound will have some chance to cause infection if left untreated (also there will be some chance for wound to cause infection if poorly treated without using medicine).

That sounds pretty great, as currently the level of treatment doesn't really seem to affect much else. Knowing that infections could result in having your sub par GP treat patients might shake it up more. Especially if it lead to more permanent injuries on the colonists.

superpirson

Quote from: ison on September 05, 2014, 10:01:59 AM
Each wound will have some chance to cause infection if left untreated (also there will be some chance for wound to cause infection if poorly treated without using medicine).
how is this implemented? Can we write custom classes for special diseases, or are disease behaviors defined through defs alone?
specs: mid2009 MBP OSX 10.9.3 NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

ison

Quote from: vagineer1 on September 05, 2014, 10:06:19 AM
In the future will the med-paks have several uses before a pack is depleted? I don't think that everything inside a single med-pak would be used to treat a bite.
Actually this is a problem I've already tried to solve in A6 - if you have many injuries, doctor can use 1 medicine to treat injuries "worth" 20 hp (or 1 injury which damage exceeds 20 hp). However if there's only 1 little injury, doctor will still use whole medicine to treat it. This is a waste indeed, idea worth considering for sure.

Quote from: vagineer1 on September 05, 2014, 10:06:19 AM
Do you also know if wounds will have a visual effect on the pawns? (Apart from the standard bullet hole we've had for a long time)
Rendering pawn with lost limbs or rendering all wounds at their exact locations on body wouldn't be trivial I'm afraid. I think that 1 bullet hole will have to stay in A7.

Quote from: superpirson on September 06, 2014, 04:15:50 PM
how is this implemented? Can we write custom classes for special diseases, or are disease behaviors defined through defs alone?
Currently diseases have their severity stages which define how they affect pawn activities or pain. This is done only through defs, but for more complex diseases I think there would have to be a possibility to define custom disease behavior through code (I was thinking about adding some callbacks: OnFellSick, OnImmunityDeveloped, OnDiagnosed, OnCured, OnSeverityStageChanged, etc.).

superpirson

Quote from: ison on September 07, 2014, 05:54:29 AM
Currently diseases have their severity stages which define how they affect pawn activities or pain. This is done only through defs, but for more complex diseases I think there would have to be a possibility to define custom disease behavior through code (I was thinking about adding some callbacks: OnFellSick, OnImmunityDeveloped, OnDiagnosed, OnCured, OnSeverityStageChanged, etc.).

Oh, I like this! just think of all the wicked awesome and crazy mods we can make with that! alien diseases, improvements to the zombie mod, chronic conditions... I like where this is going!!!
specs: mid2009 MBP OSX 10.9.3 NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

MajorFordson

Quote from: ison on September 07, 2014, 05:54:29 AM
Rendering pawn with lost limbs or rendering all wounds at their exact locations on body wouldn't be trivial I'm afraid. I think that 1 bullet hole will have to stay in A7.

I could see a "bandaged head" for generic head wounds, or even permanent "eyepatch", might be major indicators that add to the game a great deal without being too complex maybe.