Nonhuman colonists?

Started by frosty840, August 28, 2014, 10:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSS

Quote from: Tynan on August 29, 2014, 03:59:56 PMAnd - if only I had time to sit and write more story stuff! But most people seem to want more game rather than more backstory. And anyway, writing backstory like that is pretty exhausting and takes a really specific frame of mind for me to do. I find long-form writing very tiring compared to coding.

Maybe you could focus on the backstory more in between the alpha stages and whatever comes after? (beta stages?) I really like the consistent gameplay updates, but the story is what adds that extra layer of awesome, for me, when it comes to games. My most favorite games either have a strong plot or strong backstory/lore (or both).

Niknud

Quote from: Tynan on August 29, 2014, 03:59:56 PM
Yeah, no aliens. I don't think it's really necessary; with just a bit of imagination you can see a vast variety of lifeforms and intelligences developing from purely earthly sources. From robots and AIs to pseudohumans and animal/human hybrids, to genetically-engineered weapon or worker creatures, to the mysterious intelligences born in transcendent systems. Hell, this stuff is much more exotic than anything in Star Trek or Star Wars.

And - if only I had time to sit and write more story stuff! But most people seem to want more game rather than more backstory. And anyway, writing backstory like that is pretty exhausting and takes a really specific frame of mind for me to do. I find long-form writing very tiring compared to coding.

Why not have some writing contests where the winners backstory can become part of the game.  That way you get to stick to coding and still have some varied backgrounds to pick from.

DigitalProeliator

Just as a question does this apply to non-sentient life, like alien planet and animals? Or are you going with all planets where terraformed?

johny17202

Sorry if this question has been answered somewhere else, I'm brand new to the forums and the game pretty much. So there aren't any mechanical body parts yet, but from other posts I gather that's in the works. My question is directed more towards Tynan's post about robots, AI's, animal/human hybrids, and genetically engineered weapons or work creatures. I tasted the pain that is the robots already, but will we get those things as colonists? Like droid workers, or genetically engineer our people into stronger more able colonists. I'd love for it to be in the game just curious if it's in the work for vanilla release or should I look more at the mod community for it?

Woolly

When I think of Nonhuman colonists I think of AI Machines which act similar to colonists.. perhaps mechanoids which become more self aware and on rare occasions will join a colony and allow themselves to be re-purposed. I would imagine  they would want to shed their mechanoid form and take on the visage of a humanoid android. They would pretty much be the same as normal colonists but perhaps they could have a few advantages/disadvantages.  Pros: No need for sleep, superior carrying capacity Cons: - Cooking, - Medicine, Requires a room with charged batteries rather than a bed, attaches to a battery and charges itself rather than eat... etc.

At the very least I can see something like this becoming a mod. 

Tynan

In general I don't plan future specifics for the game like that. It's a viable idea, but there are lots of others that may come ahead of it.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

IronSquid501

I like the idea of non-human colonists - in particular, Cyborgs. It's very common to see your colonists have arms/legs/lungs/brains/etc. heavily damaged or destroyed, and if there's some kind of prosthetics in place, they could range from a wooden peg leg, to a glass eye, all the way up to cybernetic limbs and organs, and maybe even AI cores to replace damaged brain tissue in the event of someone becoming seriously impaired - With all the Hal 9000 that such a situation could potentially bring. (Beware letting poor doctors replace brain tissue?)
Maybe someone might lose their "Human" classification if they have enough cybernetic prosthetics in place, and become a Cyborg as a result?