Combat Slow-down

Started by Calistyn, September 07, 2014, 09:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calistyn

Anyone know how to turn off the automatic slow-down? It doesn't bother me in the person to person firefights, but man, sieges are awful with the game speed constantly dropping to its lowest.

Coenmcj

Well, I have a temporary solution using a program such as Cheat Engine 6.3, Just attach it and increase the program speed for the length of the raid, might cause some instability though.

But any native solutions are beyond me sorry.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Tynan

There is no way to do so now, but I hear what you're saying about the sieges. I may reconfigure how it works if this is a common problem (e.g. disable it for artillery, at least after the first shot or two).
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Calistyn

Quote from: Tynan on September 07, 2014, 09:23:09 PM
There is no way to do so now, but I hear what you're saying about the sieges. I may reconfigure how it works if this is a common problem (e.g. disable it for artillery, at least after the first shot or two).

Well, bummer for the moment but yay for the future! Thanks for the quick answer.

Coenmcj, I may look into that program in the meantime, thanks!

RawCode

There is absolutely no tech limits in adding single checkbox to GUI that will disable speed drop to slowest on "invader" alert.

Personally i would like to play on speed 2 constantly, pausing to give orders (probably everyone pause in order to give orders anyway) and resuming on same speed.

Tynan

Quote from: RawCode on September 07, 2014, 10:45:20 PM
There is absolutely no tech limits in adding single checkbox to GUI that will disable speed drop to slowest on "invader" alert.

There are no tech limits, but there are design problems with that. I've observed people consistently screw themselves over when given the chance to skip through battles. And, they miss interesting story points. It's one of those cases where taking options away from players improves the experience.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

RawCode

At current early stage of development, this "checkbox" can be placed outside of GUI.

Just like speed 4, without ANY button and any documentation (but still available to player who knows internals of the game).

This wont harm "new" players, they wont miss anything and will enjoy entire story, each detail, for mod developers and testers, this "secret" keybind will allow to enjoy other edge of game play.

Personally i *played* game only few times, all other runs where tests, first generic gameplay later internals of specific systems.

SSS

It's never bothered me with man-to-man fights, but it does become annoying during sieges. After the first shot or two, I know my base is being shelled. There's no need to slow down every time, as sieges can last quite awhile and I may have my colonists doing other things while they take turns on their own mortars.

...Not to mention the long wait between shots by your own mortars, which feels much more apparent when you have to wait at normal speed for several seconds every time you're hit. It's a bit of a bummer, because I love watching mortar battles. I find myself following colony's shots pretty often and cheering/booing. xD

BetaSpectre

Quote from: Tynan on September 07, 2014, 09:23:09 PM
Make it optional pls! Lots of players don't like this feature for their own reasons.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Goo Poni

I've noticed that slowdown during sieges only occurs if a mortar is destined to even hit the ground. Those of us living dwarven lifestyles should experience slowdown less because mortar shots that hit mountainside will not slow the game down and just make an oddly metallic thunk. Go dig your bases into mountains, guise.

A hidden (or not so hidden and just tucked away in the dev console or some such) toggle could also work.

pauloman

I would also prefer of it would be optional, at least for sieges!

JonoRig

I've always thought a good idea for the un-observational (ME) was a auto-pause option to enable, so that when a red letter comes down, the game pauses; only problem is, with all the things going crazy, that would get annoying, but would be very useful for raids

Coenmcj

Well it does make an alarm noise, aswell as flash red that takes up 10% of your screen... I would think that was rather obvious.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

milon

Obvious, yes, but it may be difficult for some to react quickly enough at 3x (or greater) speeds.

JonoRig

And when I have my computer muted, I'm not always paying attention to the envelopes side of the screen, and then suddenly there's 3 centipedes just dropped in the middle of my base