2 Ideas in 1 post: Hierarchy & Privileges + Surrender

Started by Monkeysaur, September 06, 2014, 05:01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monkeysaur

I would really like in future be able to have a hierarchy of colonists with a leader and also members who are not very important.

Part of this system would involve some areas which are allowed to all and some areas allowed only to some. The idea is that my veteran colonist is allowed into the secret research lab comms center, but my recently converted raider or recently purchased slave is not so privileged. I really want to have a system of promoting some and enslaving others, special privileges for some, stricter rules for others.

If this system was developed it could also risk a revolt from within which could also be interesting.

In order to save space on the internet I will post my second idea here also:

Could an enemy (or a colonist) make a judgement about when the game is up, and rather than just get themselves killed, sometimes be willing to surrender? This would have to depend of personality, if they are a pussy they give up, if they are hard they fight to the death. This would also be more useful if your colonists cease fire on an individual who has surrendered. Could be interesting dynamic to combat. Maybe this could be done in a mod also.

Thanks for reading my ideas, I hope you like them.

windruf

hierarchy is nice idea! want it! [a smile with horns]   

Zeta Omega

Seeing the enemy surrender and capturing the ones you want would be very helpful. Maybe showing mercy could result in positive reputation with that faction

LordJulian

Hmm.... I'm thinking......... Classism.

There could be a class system where the colony will be politically structured based on the belief systems they have (zeitgeist, meritocracy, facism, etc.) So colonists will have privileges based on what system the colony is set in and how would the relations of colonists be altered.

Colonists have certain personalities that would affect a class system in the game. For colonists with lack of social graces, they would recieve a mood penalty when working with 'high' privileged colonists (i.e The poor man scoffing off the privileged noble pig)
Privileges will give minor pernament boosts for the colonist, but if they have such entitlements, then eating nutrient pastes or sleeping on the floor would have a bigger penalty, because they are supposed to have higher privileges. Getting unsatisfied lower-class colonists breaking down the doors of the "nobles" would certainly be interesting.

OP of the first idea sounds fun actually. Certainly bring out the ugly (and beautiful) face of humanity and weave out the story in a more mature (or ridiculous) manner.

TwixFunSize

I think this idea would work where you get to choose what type of goverment/social structure you have.

johny17202

I'll toss my hand way in the air on this one. I like this idea I also like what another poster put that you should be able to select what type of government your colonist have. One suggestion I have is if there is a relationship system in the work make it to where the colonist vote on the leader depending on their like/dislike of that colonist. Also have the leader give buffs to colonist nearby such as increased work profeciency when nearby. I would also say that when this colonist dies the longer he's/she's been leader the more detrimental effect it has on the population.

Tynan

I really want to do something like this eventually. I'm fascinated by the idea of doing some kind of simulation of internal colony politics. If any of you have played Crusader Kings 2 you'll know how interesting even computer-simulated politics can be. However, it's such a huge system I really want to have the rest of the game working before I bite it off. Or maybe even leave it for another game, an expansion or a sequel.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Cpt.Fupa

Quote from: Tynan on September 07, 2014, 10:00:18 PM
Or maybe even leave it for another game, an expansion or a sequel.

Rimworld 2? Honestly this game seems like it could stand alone

StorymasterQ

RimWorld - Internal Politics Expansion Pack. I'd buy that.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Pirx Danford

Right okay so we have the endgame where we get the hell out with a makeshift spacecraft.

I remember seeing a suggestion to have an endgame where we pacify(conquer) the whole world.
Now combined with this...

How about if your colony is big enough you develop a political system out of a hierarchy you implemented... when that is done you somehow (maybe by ambassadors?) make peace with the other factions and when you managed to convince them to join your cause you have won the map.

But wait there is more - now we can choose to expand with a scout group (maybe 3 or more select members from the won map) to a neighboring area and thus we can slowly conquer the whole planet.

Maybe... I dunno maybe that could be a campaign mode where we only slowly unlock technology. And when like 10-20 maps have been conquered we have all technology and after that we cannot regularly win maps but have to send armed forces as then the remaining people will all oppose us?

Eh sorry, but hierarchy is just too exciting - I'll hold my horses again.

Monkeysaur

All I really want to start with is to have a Leader, someone who is important to to Colony, kind of like a queen bee.

As someone suggested, they can have a positive effect on the output of nearby colonists, and most important for me, they are worthy of protection from attack and maybe other privileges too like better food, special gear/appearance etc.

You could also have Lieutenants as a kind of middle tier & working the other way you could punish/subjugate other colonists.

Being able to reward/promote a colonist, for example if they have been good in battle, and also to punish/demote a colonist, if they have have displeased me in some way, these things are really important to me. I care about my individual colonists but I want that to have more meaning than just in my head.

There is a lot that could be done with politics and social structures and faction relationships etc, but for the time being, if we could just get a simple "queen bee" system going, with a little "slavery" also, that would be awesome.

I hope that these kinds of things, if kept simple, could become part of this RimWorld one day!

XD

LordJulian

I think there should be a pre-political system where the colonists would work together collective like in Vanilla, but as the colony grew up to a minimum amount (like 8?) There will be a tier tree where the player can choose what type of political base would the colony be set upon, that would give boons or liabilities to the colony.( Like better work speed for all and pernament mood drop with an industrial policy in mind. or all colonists move faster if unarmed, and feel happy only when there are 'protectors' kind of totalitarian state, or remove bedroom sharing penalties when choosing a united community political idea)

When meeting certain requirements of having more colonists, the player can choose more sophisticated and refined politics that would further enhance or penalize the effects of the colony, or choose none at all which is vanilla, branching out different playstyles and getting more water cooling conversation in the forums. :)

stefanstr

I really want to do something like this eventually. I'm fascinated by the idea of doing some kind of simulation of internal colony politics. If any of you have played Crusader Kings 2 you'll know how interesting even computer-simulated politics can be.
You just made my day. Yes, please include this at one point in time. (Also, I love CK2.)

Or maybe even leave it for another game, an expansion or a sequel.
... and I'll pretend you never said this, so I can keep on hoping.