Rimworld popularity

Started by Feniks, September 08, 2014, 07:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feniks

As a youtuber I like to track some of a interesting games that I may not play on my channel in the future. Google trends is one amazing thing for anyone to see how is a game doing. As of writing this post Rimworld hit it's peak of popularity and it's climbing up all the time. I predict that with alpha 7 even more youtubers will peak up the game and give it a go.

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=rimworld&cmpt=q

This game is still less popular than let's say Kerbal Space Program but is having a nice up trend that will make it attractive to other youtubers I and when others interested in indie games will pickit up it will go massive. I hope deves can keep game interesting and fallow with good steam release and campaign after alpha 7 or 8. I have seen so many games crashing badly after hype.

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=starbound

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=cubeworld&cmpt=q

Just thought I will share my observations in case anyone was interested how is game popularity doing. I am waiting for alpha 7 and probably join already strong team of people making videos of it :)

Raufgar

Interesting, didn't realize that Google did trends (just how long have I been in that hole?). With the way Ty and Co. has been updating RimWorld and keeping us informed about it, interest has been soaring.
Don't be afraid to voice your opinions...

The worse thing that can happen to you is that you'll get your ass capped.

Clayton

Props for not shamelessly advertising yourself :D

Leird

3 of the Youtubers i follow do Rimworld vids, so yeah, it's slowly getting more popular on youtube, which is very nice to see!

Tynan

I've also followed these trends. It's quite nice to run a comparison with other indie games (especially Prison Architect and Dwarf Fortress, two of my big inspirations).
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Cr0ss0vr

Quote from: Tynan on September 08, 2014, 10:54:53 PM
I've also followed these trends. It's quite nice to run a comparison with other indie games (especially Prison Architect and Dwarf Fortress, two of my big inspirations).
Couldnt tell that Prison Architect was one of your inspirations  ;D honestly though, good job on it, i've already spread the addiction through my little group of 7 friends... the only problem is, now we want to be able to trade together  ::)

Jaxxa

Quote from: Cr0ss0vr on September 09, 2014, 12:01:03 AM
... the only problem is, now we want to be able to trade together  ::)

That Might, MIGHT not be as far away as you think.  ;)

Cr0ss0vr

... i might, MIGHT know this already... perhaps for a different reason of what you're thinking though...

Feniks

Quote from: Tynan on September 08, 2014, 10:54:53 PM

I know you are nearly equal in popularity to them and you are not even on steam yet. Other big indie title to aspire to is KSP but they are bit more established. BTW Blitz is probably the biggest advertisement for this game with if you search youtube for rimworld he takes like 2/3 of first page.

Monkeysaur

I think Alpha 6 giving an easier time, making people able to build etc helped.

The game was too hard/annoying for me before Alpha 6, I don't like being constantly under attack.

The game will explode from here on, we need more stuff to build/craft now though.

XD

Blitz

Quote from: Feniks on September 09, 2014, 11:58:08 AM
BTW Blitz is probably the biggest advertisement for this game with if you search youtube for rimworld he takes like 2/3 of first page.

Very interesting, I hadn't seen the googly trends lately, but I know my videos and subscriber numbers have done really nicely lately. I expected that RW was doing quite nicely as well.

Xerberus86

Quote from: Monkeysaur on September 09, 2014, 12:42:51 PM
I think Alpha 6 giving an easier time, making people able to build etc helped.

The game was too hard/annoying for me before Alpha 6, I don't like being constantly under attack.

The game will explode from here on, we need more stuff to build/craft now though.

XD

have you tried mods? there are plenty of mods that are crafting-centric like superior crafting and tech tree minami which add a huge amount of stuff into the game and let the game focus more on crafting.

Feniks

I have seen game in alpha 1 and there was just not enough to do to make interesting videos. Now with alpha 6 there is much more staff as well as new medical system gives some excitement rather than lost x amount of HP. if your favourite colonist looses a leg this is tragedy and creates some drama like do I keep feeding him he was so good saved so many people during sieges or do I just let him die etc. With alpha 7 coming when you can after a while get your best guy back to action it will be even better. Also few bigger people are looking at the game. Scot Manley did another video Arumba Mathias gaming and people from their circus have their own series and each has like 70k subs. Popularity is growing quick now and we are not far of from snowball effect where it will go huge really quickly. Real trick is to grab the hype and keep it up. the way minecraft did or on smaller scale KSP is doing.

Matthiasagreen

I personally learned of this game through a major twitch player. I would watch him every day. Then he played rimworld and now I watch that every day.... :)
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

ShootyFace

I've noticed the RimWorld subreddit has started moving a bit more lately. I really hope this game sells a crap ton of units. Easily the best alpha I've participated in, and my most played/favorite game since the day one (blast charges were FUN!!!). And I am shameless when it comes to plugging the game, it's doing a lot of things right, glad the gaming world is catching on. I think RimWorld could turn out to be something very special.
"Oh boy, I can finally have my colonists paint the outer wall with Raider blood and hang a sign by the main door that says: "Looking for Donations"
I'm sure that'll make the Raiders feel welcome. :3" ~TheXIIILightning