Restraining Colonists against Psychic Drones

Started by Spectre, September 09, 2014, 02:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spectre

Currently the only problem I have in this game consistently is the Psychic Drones, especially if it hits early enough to not get a few rose gardens up.

At the moment when a colonist cracks it's exactly the same as the colonist going nuts from colony issues. I propose that when they crack from a Psychic Drone it only lasts as long as the Psychic Drone is active (perhaps make the gender/affected crack sooner and the drones last longer for balance).

This leads me to my next suggestion. I recently had a game where very early a Psychic Drone hit and my female colonist 'broke' and began wandering off. My only option was to arrest her and stick her in a cell. When the Psychic Drone stopped I did the usual of trying to get her back into he colony. This got me thinking, when the drone stopped she was in perfect mental health again and it seems odd that I had to convince her to join the colony. Why wouldn't she to just rejoin automatically?

I thought about an option to restrain people who are nearing a mental break (or anyone I guess if you're into that :) ) When I mean retrain I mean literally tie them to a bed. This way if they come back to their senses a doctor can release them and they automatically rejoin the colony. If, however, they go completely psychotic you may not be able to restore their sanity and their screams could unnerve the other colonists nearby. After a period of time you may decide it's better to put a bullet in their head.

At this moment in time the most unsatisfying way for me to lose a colonist is due to a Psychic Drone as their is very little I can do to stop it happening. (Personally I think a small drone should appear somewhere on the map which you can destroy but that's another topic...)

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks for reading.
Holding hands whilst the walls come tumbling down.

Xerberus86

you had a problem with one? i had the occassion once where i had 7 colonists and 6 went insane, everyone was beating themself unconscious. at the end me last colonist had to put them all in medibeds and i had the micromanagement hell of my live to prevent everyone from starvation, including the only sane person because AI loves to do their job over prioritizing their own needs (feeding a patient while starving to death).

Spectre

Quote from: Xerberus86 on September 09, 2014, 04:24:56 PM
you had a problem with one? i had the occassion once where i had 7 colonists and 6 went insane, everyone was beating themself unconscious. at the end me last colonist had to put them all in medibeds and i had the micromanagement hell of my live to prevent everyone from starvation, including the only sane person because AI loves to do their job over prioritizing their own needs (feeding a patient while starving to death).

Well I only had three colonists and she was my cook and doctor. I managed to pull it back with an extremely lucky 4% chance of conversion.
Holding hands whilst the walls come tumbling down.

Matthiasagreen

Obviously this only works later in the game, but I just saw someone use cryptopods against it. I can't remember though, can you pull them out of cryptopods?
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

ApexPredator

An easy defense I use is have a large clean room (I use my kitchen because it is close to food) and draft everyone and make them stand next to each other. They will talk when people are next to each other and the more social chats they have the better. Not much work will get done and it requires a bit of micromanagement but will work to get you out of the PD issue.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: ApexPredator on September 09, 2014, 08:18:01 PM
An easy defense I use is have a large clean room (I use my kitchen because it is close to food) and draft everyone and make them stand next to each other. They will talk when people are next to each other and the more social chats they have the better. Not much work will get done and it requires a bit of micromanagement but will work to get you out of the PD issue.

A forced AA-style meeting, then?

"Hello, my name is Vas, and I am affected by a psychic drone."
"Hi, Vas!"
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

ApexPredator

Quote from: StorymasterQ on September 09, 2014, 09:33:30 PM
Quote from: ApexPredator on September 09, 2014, 08:18:01 PM

A forced AA-style meeting, then?

"Hello, my name is Vas, and I am affected by a psychic drone."
"Hi, Vas!"

Exactly. The major issues I used to find with PD was people going out side hauling in "very ugly environments" and mix that with the PD and they would snap quick. Get them talking adding extra buffs and make sure they stay in an area that keeps a positive mood buff and your gold. Just watch for hunger/tiredness and undraft as needed.