Low tech survival mod

Started by Duncan, September 10, 2014, 11:30:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan

I write the thread for two purposes, as a mod request, and as a mod help thread. I am a decent c# coder and have looked into doing this myself and I believe I can do it, but I have very little free time. If someone else is interested in doing some or all of this mod idea feel free, although mentioning that intention in this thread is probably a good idea.

The thread title should be relatively self explanatory. The idea is inspired from the game Unreal World and should involve a detailed progression from primitive neolithic stone tools, up to basic iron tools. After the end of this progression a basic communication device could be built and the normal technology progression would start, after buying some component for a research table from a trade ship.

There are a lot of possible features that could be included, but at the start I think it is a good idea to keep it simple and iterative. development progression would look something like:

1. Implement tools as equipment/apparel

2. make certain jobs require certain tools

3. Implement different tool qualities and types

4. build a progression of tool improvement up to the basic communication device

5. Tune the AI to prevent this mod from being way too hard

6. feature creep starts here

Looking into step 1.
I first investigated apparel. In my opinion one easy way to implement tools would be to add a new apparel layer in RimWorld.ApparelLayer called tools. this is nice because it wont break any other mods and the tool should always be rendered on top of clothing.

After this I noticed the equipment class includes a secondary equipment type, and that a pawn can carry multiple secondary equipment items. When I tried to mod in a test object with <equipmentType>Secondary</equipmentType> I get a runtime null reference exception in Verse.Pawn_EquipmentTracker.GetEquipmentCommands(). I can not make head or tail of this function in ILSpy it looks like gibberish.

Specific questions:

1. Anyone interested in this mode existing?
2. Anyone want to make it or help make it?
3. Would the apparel route or the secondary equipment route be the best way for implementing tools?
4. What does the GetEquipmentCommands() function do?

I will update this post with any progress I make. If this mod gets started in earnest and looks like it might happen I will make a new thread in the  mods/unfinished forum or ask a moderator to move it there.

ItchyFlea

Sounds like you're describing this, which I restarted working on yesterday:
[Project] (Alpha ?) Neolithic Mod
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Duncan

Yes. I am glad to see I am not the only one with this idea, I imagined it would be a welcome addition. Feel free to lock this topic, although it is probably not necessary. I will be coming over to your thread to outline some suggestions and offer help.