The Hive.

Started by G34R B0X, September 12, 2014, 03:20:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G34R B0X

The hive is an idea that popped I to my head after watching starship troopers. It will appear on the map, maybe a little hill looking thing, and continue to pop out ( for the lack of a better name ATM) Fire Ants. Which only have one goal, feed there colony. They will start locally to there best, graving anything agave fruit, dead carcasses ( this can help clean up the dead people to!) living muffalo, potoates, and eventually your colonists. The more food brought back to the hive the more workers it creates, to bring back more food. Fire ants can also Dig
There way though walls and mountains in pursuit of there Noms.

Fire ants should be weak, but plentiful, slower than your colonists, and Edible.! Any thoughts? I know this would be a pain in the arese to code so we probably will never get it, but it's a nice thought.

Other side note, maybe these will Appered in desert or arid brush land only. Have them biome based. Opens the idea for other biome based events.

Johnny Masters

I like it. I mean, maybe as a rare event, biome threat or a game mode, and I'm all for different game modes aside the main traditional experience.

Reminds me of Infested Planet, you have a bunch of hives that just pops weak zerg-like aliens that gets stronger over time and overruns you if you are not careful/finish the hives fast.

The fun would be having your soldiers shooting stuff non-stop while trying to build your colony economically until you had the resources / equipment / defenses / manpower to finish  all off. Maybe there's a main hive. So, yeah, there's at least these both ways, hives popping aliens out directly into you or some sort of buildup before an attack. ideas ideas

P.S.: The pop -> attack would be easier to implement tho, since you just need a hive building and a script to generate these arachnids (i like arachnids better xD) and one behavior, which is to attack something. A gatherer colony would just need a lot of extra scripting. but hey, if it could be done, sure why not...

SSS

Chimera Ants for Rimworld confirmed.

That is all. :p

(I do like the idea.)

Garen

as awesome as that is, we already have a hive, a mechanoid hive to be precise.

possibly the idea of a swarm of meleeing mecha-scarab? (in joke about there being mega-scarabs in the game)

Reaper

Talk to the creator of tech tree mamami  He already has a ant hill event but i think if this was added to it if they got enough food, I would go nuts.

G34R B0X

You ignore the Hive for a bit and don't notice that it found a bunch of agave fruit, now you have 20+ fire ants tunneling there way slowly into your mountain fortress, your colonists scramble to there weapons lockers as the constant scratching and clomping sounds echo the tunnels they claimed as a home... Outside the turrets are just barely holding back the waves of them climbing over each other to get inside... Than... It goes dark, one of the damned bugs must have but threw an electrical conduit, the barking of the full auto turrets stops. Everything goes quite and still in the dark except for the scrapping. Jimmy, that refuge u picked up from a crashed cry oops lights up his zippo lighter... No one speaks, no one moves, than the quiet is broken as something grabs Sarah and Chomps her in half,... The hungry mandibles of the fire ant gleam in the fire light, than something grabs jimmy, the light goes out... Darkness

BetaSpectre

Thought the Hive meant mechanoids.

Personally, its rather trouble some to have a separate colony on the same map, the map is a little too small to support multiple factions.

But if Lag or Resources isn't an issue then I'm all for the idea. Heck as long as they leave my people alone I'd build a farm for them to eat plants. Once they attack I'm nuking the colony inside and out.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Monkeysaur

We do need something wild that feeds on dead bodies like vultures or something.

windruf

starts with 3 ants. and 1 point of food gives hive 1 point of resource. (simple = 5, fine = 10, lavish = 20, body based on how much meat it will give)
there are 2 types:
worker:
  cost 200 points
  upkeep 5 point per day
  breeding time 12 h
  collects food. dropped and from plants
hunter:
  cost 750 points
  upkeep 20 points a day
  breeding time 1d
  hunts animals ans colonists

if there is not enough upkeep - they will attack colony