Cooking stove power use

Started by nils, September 14, 2014, 08:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nils

Shouldn't always be on, should only use power when active.

Timber

Quote from: nils on September 14, 2014, 08:04:16 AM

Makes perfect sense but I think it will likely be seen as an unnecessary complication.
As it is now you can turn it off entirely (V button) if you know the stove will not be used to save electricity.

At the end of the day how much more immersion will this give per development hour spent implementing the change?
I ask not for a lighter burden but for broader shoulders. -Atlas

nils

Quote from: Timber on September 14, 2014, 01:31:48 PM
Quote from: nils on September 14, 2014, 08:04:16 AM

Makes perfect sense but I think it will likely be seen as an unnecessary complication.
As it is now you can turn it off entirely (V button) if you know the stove will not be used to save electricity.

At the end of the day how much more immersion will this give per development hour spent implementing the change?

Depending on the way it's coded it'll take a minimum change of, mh, two lines or so.
1) on use start event, set power consumption to X
2) on use end event, set power consumption to 0

Done

Cr0ss0vr

The something ingame already does this, doesnt it?

Mystic

I think of it as being similar to one's television in real life - i.e., it is always drawing some power even when not in use, unless it is physically disconnected from the power source (i.e., by pressing V in the game).  Maybe there's an incredibly inefficient LED clock on the hood.  :)

I personally like using the V key to control that, because it also gives me an easy way to temporarily interrupt any cooking bills if I have something else that the cook should be doing for a while, or if electricity conservation is especially important (e.g., awaiting a pirate attack during an eclipse with the colony's batteries draining).  So at least I wouldn't want to lose that capability.

I personally don't think this feature is that important, but if it is implemented, there are other electrical devices in the game where the same should be even more true - e.g., the much less frequently used machining tables.  And for that matter, why wouldn't colonists automatically turn out the lights in their bedrooms when they exit if they know electricity is at a premium?  It seems to me that it opens up a can of worms, or should I say megascarabs.

Timber

Quote from: Mystic on September 15, 2014, 09:41:49 AM
And for that matter, why wouldn't colonists automatically turn out the lights in their bedrooms when they exit if they know electricity is at a premium?

Now there's something interesting! That's actually a pretty cool idea - it would definitely add enjoyment to watching the colonists do their little routines.

But like you've said - once you add that you might as well do that for the stoves and the benches and so on.
I ask not for a lighter burden but for broader shoulders. -Atlas