station-based version of Rimword??

Started by perci2112, July 26, 2014, 06:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perci2112

Now that there is an escape ship in Rimworld we can choose to run back into space, or die in a siege.

This idea is based on the spaceship simulator prototype that was included for download. Perhaps there could be a space station-based version of Rimworld: surviving in a sector of space, where traders, military, and pirates frequent, building up your station, allowing more power, mining asteroid fields, and salvaging ships for resources, with a more free-to-choose factions system; aid pirates against the military, or arrest them for their crimes.
Steal from or kidnap traders and travellers and sell them to slavers. Defend your station against attacks, asteroid storms, solar flares and other events. Increase the population of your station by buying slaves, cloning, or raising children.

Research new weaponry, from a simple welding torch turned into a flamethrower to a radar dish turned into an anti-planetary laser or a mining explosive into black hole bombs.
crew reactions depending on your choices in events, and to the condition of the station.
Awake a mechanoid hive and watch as the wreck havoc across the galaxy, or set them to work as engineers aboard your station.
Political actions; assasins kill a VIP aboard your station, causing increased military presence and fewer pirates, or help wanted criminals escape a prison ship, causing more military attacks and more pirate traders.
Find the crew of a ship, adrift in orbit of a rimworld. Kill them? or Save them?

On your station, the choice is yours, the results could empower you, or destroy you.

Snownova

I've actually been working on something like this for the past few weeks in my spare time. It's going to be similar to Startopia, but with Rimworld/Prison Architect graphics.

You can see what I'm planning to implement in my Design document

edit: fixed link.

perci2112

nice idea, can't wait to see ingame pics from it

Snownova

Anyone here with Actionscript 3 or graphic design skills that wants to be part of the project, be sure to pm me, I could use a hand :)

Quasarrgames

i had hoped for something like this, except instead of a station, it would be a spaceship, and you could travel to different worlds and to ship-to-ship battle and such.
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

perci2112

basically a top-down version of Starbound, mixed with FTL

skivvy96

I like the idea of that but I was also think of a ship where you could build like empty rooms/modules onto it of a size of your choosing and then build what you want into it. So it would kind of be like a mobile station or a city ship.

Snownova

For anyone interested, I've registered my game at indieDB, and uploaded the current prototype:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/nexusstation

perci2112

yay :D maybe this game will eventually end up on Steam? i'd definitely greenlight it

Snownova

I'll definitely look into steam once I get the game playable. Keep a close eye on the indiedb page, I'll be posting updates regularly, and until I have a playable alpha I'll post the prototypes there as well. (basically once I can call it an actual game I'll take the prototypes down and start charging people)

hyperkiller

Space engineers! lol its a free roaming game in space that lets you build whatever you want and fly them. (doesn't have shields or laser weapons, just Gatling and missiles as of right now)

BassMonroe

I'm not the best graphic designer, only been doing it for 2 months but this what i've made is an energy Power generator, took 10 mins and its completely made up and is powered by plasma (Blue).

Let us know what you think, Might not match your art style though Haha :-)

Snownova

Oeh, I like, I like a lot. Up to this point every image in the game has been vector drawn on the spot by code, no externally loaded images, but this one might be the first :)

I'm going to look into adding a plasma generator object this week, using your artwork.

Currently I'm in the middle of adding some of the basic quality of life interface thingies, like manually zoning and unzoning room tiles and demolishing objects and structures.

Once I get all that basic stuff in there I'm going to make a big update on the indiedb page, hopefully sometime in the next few weeks.