So Microsoft has bought Mojang...

Started by ItchyFlea, September 15, 2014, 11:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C. Fenderson

Quote from: christhekiller on September 25, 2014, 07:51:26 PM
Honestly, y'all are jumping to conclusions. They're not complete idiots over at Microsoft, and it doesn't take much thought to just let Mojang keep doing what they're doing while Microsoft rakes in some extra profits.
I don't tend to like jumping to conclusions on stuff like this, but I really hope this is what happens.  I like my mods and whatnot.  I'm not a HUGE fan of Microsoft (I'm not terribly fond of anything they do, even their operating systems), but I hope I can trust them enough to not fuck up a game that has kept me entertained for a solid four years. 
I just hope I don't have another reason to hate them at the end of this.

Matthiasagreen

You do have to remember that when they bought Minecraft for 2.5 billion dollars, that is under the assumption that they are going to make at least 2.5 billion dollars back from it. And although they can sit back and hope that eventually they make their money back, more likely they will see what they can do to make that money faster. The faster you get your return, the better chance you have of getting all of it. The question that makes everyone uneasy, is what will they do to get more money faster and how will it ruin the game experience.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Fruit loops

Next big thing:

Minecraft live
20$ a month for online
15$ for lan

I can see the future
The guy who suggested the mood debuff for harvesting prisoner organs.

Kagemusha

My feeling is that they won't mess with the currently established system too much. They may try to inject micro-transactions for instance, but too big a change would alienate the current player base.

There real goal is Minecraft 2 that they will plug onto every platform they can which will likely be an awful mobile game style pay-to-overcome-frustration-and-time-wasting-mechanics. If they do it right they will grab a whole ton of the casual market and likely recoup their costs.

They've bought the IP and they have bought the company including most of the developers.

I myself have never played Minecraft and never really wanted to. So, I know less than nothing about the current game; I think I saw others playing it back in 2011 or somewhere around then.

Microsoft do not have a good record when it comes to caring about the PC (master-race). They have wrecked almost every good IP that I grew up with, and now I can maybe think of a single recent game released by Microsoft that I enjoyed. This of course might be a bad thing for Minecraft.

On a mildly humorous note: Minecraft + Microsoft = Misoft...Micraft. It might happen.

Klitri

You're all being silly, Microsoft isn't stupid and they won't destroy Minecraft. Relax.

harpo99999

you mean like they did not destroy flightsim and released win95, win me window 8, BOB and assorted other alledgedly usefull software

Snownova

Quote from: Klitri on October 01, 2014, 09:43:45 PM
You're all being silly, Microsoft isn't stupid and they won't destroy Minecraft. Relax.

I really, really want to agree with you, but we're talking about a company that thought getting rid of the start menu in favor of the abominable metro style was a good idea at one point.

Matthiasagreen

and who decided 10 comes right after 8, lol :)
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Justin C

Microsoft frequently releases terrible software. There's a good chance of them screwing up Minecraft.

null

Freelancer was an awesome Microsoft game, still playing that today with Wine.

Pirx Danford

Quote from: null on October 02, 2014, 05:11:54 PM

That was a game that digital anvil already was working on since 1999 and the buyout by MS in 2000 got more in the way in getting it ready than it was helping.

Anyhow MS is not unknown to just buy out popular titles and kill them off.
I cannot believe they would do something like that with Minecraft though, because well its like a thousand times more popular than anything MS ever bought.
So if they pull that sh*bleep* with Minecraft the backlash might be much greater than they could ever prepare for.
I know its said that "Any publicity is good publicity." but that only accounts up until a certain point.

I have no clue what MS is on about with MC, but they must have plans.

AntiMatter

Quote from: christhekiller on September 25, 2014, 07:51:26 PM
Honestly, y'all are jumping to conclusions. They're not complete idiots over at Microsoft, and it doesn't take much thought to just let Mojang keep doing what they're doing while Microsoft rakes in some extra profits.

i'm trying really hard not to think of a way microsoft f***ed over a game but all the comes to mind is that in 6 months time EVERYTHING on minecraft will be either pop-up adds, have a price tag on it or in game tips that say something along the lines of

"BUY NOW TO GET YOUR FREE COW!!!! ONLY WHILE STOCKS LAST!!!!"

or something ludicrously stupid.

*Warning bias comment below(i run linux so i kinda wanted to say this)*

i mean it's microsoft... which invented windows... i mean... cmon... wha do you expect?

*bias over*

also another thing i see in future from the launcher side of minecraft is it being full of adds and pop ups which people will have to click 5 times to get rid of then after that it will constantly just nag you for updates or secruity warnings. to be honest i've been playing 1.6.4 for a while now and i don't think i'll ever update. i'm happy with minecraft the way it was in 1.6.4 and i'd rather not even look at what it will become. better or worse. leave me out.

EDIT REASON: sorry i forgot to censer the work f**k cuz idk if i'm allowed to say it or not.
sometimes, all you need is to get out and push.
-Jeb kerman

Thunder Rahja

There is only one reason why Microsoft would buy out Mojang and Minecraft: return of investment. They expect to be able to make back their 2.5 bil and then some, and will take measures to ensure it happens, whether it means they somehow make the game even more popular, or send Minecraft to subscription or DLC hell.

Quote from: null on October 02, 2014, 05:11:54 PM
Freelancer's game designer, Chris Roberts, went on to found his own company and is developing Star Citizen independent of any publisher or investor.

null

Quote from: Thunder1 on October 11, 2014, 07:41:11 PM
Freelancer's game designer, Chris Roberts, went on to found his own company and is developing Star Citizen independent of any publisher or investor.
Yeah, I know that project. Currently I'm more interested in Limit Theory though. But enough off-topic.

keylocke