Caveman Challange

Started by Dan85, September 17, 2014, 01:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan85

I want to try a game where all my people use nothing but tribal weapons (no guns), use as little power and tech as possible. Without lights a mountain base might be difficult but it is the only way I can think that I might possibly be able to survive. What does everyone think? And do you have any suggestions?

JimmyAgnt007

Darkness would be a big issue, but it might be doable.  Though cavemen didnt make caves so really you would be stuck using natural caves anyways, only using wood and recovered stone for any building.  raw food only.  no trading.  id say that it would get rather short lived. 

milon

Sounds fun, but you if can't use tech then you can't research anything, which means no win.

Losing is fun!TM

Sigismonde

Quote from: milon on September 17, 2014, 02:30:30 PM
Sounds fun, but you if can't use tech then you can't research anything, which means no win.

Losing is fun!TM

well it could be some kind of survival mode maybe ?

JimmyAgnt007

maybe if the caveman mode could disable advanced enemies so you only worry about animals and other tribes.  also there should be a fire pit to cook simple meals from without power, or just have the raw food change to 'cooked' so you dont have the 'ate raw food' thought.

Dan85

Quote from: Sigismonde on September 17, 2014, 02:32:24 PM
Quote from: milon on September 17, 2014, 02:30:30 PM

Losing is fun!TM

I would still research to unlock everything but I want to try and be as selective as I can. Stone cutting for example I would use. But the idea of only having 1 geothermal power generator for the colony for example (mostly for cooking food). The main idea is to have everyone in tribal outfits with bows & arrows and see if I can make it.

The caves would definitely be more man made but it is the only thing I can think of to give me a fighting chance. Mechanoids might be a bit of a problem though haha.

EscapeZeppelin

A work-around the lack of campfire for cooking could be a solar panel to run a cookstove as long as you didn't use it to power anything else.

And since enemy size is based on wealth, as long as you don't start accumulating resources your raid size should remain manageable, if still technologically advanced. Actually, I suppose you could edit the game so that only primitive tribes surrounded you.

BetaSpectre

GL, you won't last for two years most likely on anything above callie, and normal.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

RemingtonRyder

Honestly, this sounds like a great mode for the released game, with a stone age version of the music tracks. :)

Zsword

Hmm, one work around for the darkness moodlette is tactical application of no roof Zones, and I"d say one Geo thermals worth of electrics is worth using to it's fullest. A couple lights ('torches') your stove... not much else.

REMworlder

I've been thinking of trying something along these lines -- melee only -- once the next alpha comes out with melee weapons(!). When art starts being implemented (cave art?) that could help offset all the darkness and raw food modifiers.

(On the note of raw food, do berries still have the raw food penalty?)

JimmyAgnt007

No roof zones dont help much when dealing with caves.  but you arnt going to go deep underground since cavemen cant dig anyways. 

SubZeroBricks

Is there trait for colonists that makes them immune to the darkness.

I only say this as I think I saw one that makes them immune to physic noise stuff from the ship parts
"The only time you have too much fuel on board is when you are on fire."

Tynan

I think this could be really cool but you'd need a mod to add some super low-tech content.

-Cook pit to cook stuff from wood fire.
-Torches to make light at night.
-A low-tech way to make arrows and tribalwear clothing.
-A low-tech way to trade.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

JimmyAgnt007

can we get stock low tech content?  a campfire would just be a cook table that doesnt need power, a single bill, and just makes 'cooked' versions of the raw foods rather than meals.  torches just need wood, burn like anything else, but last about as long as night time normally does.

clothing we just need a primitive looking version of a tailor table , butcher table

arrows?  dont bows have unlimited ammo like guns?  a table to craft primitive weapons for sure (shouldnt we have a advanced table like the machining table where we can make advanced weapons?  maybe in Alpha 8)

for low tech trade, being able to trade with visitors, i mention in another thread, like a caravan event