Hay is great and all, but this cow prefers beer.

Started by Riph, October 10, 2015, 01:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riph

Loki88

I believe Tynan has been talking about fixing the animal food system. Not sure if this particular issue will be adressed, but for now a quick fix is to just make a separate stockpile in your fridge by the door for hay and then only let the cows and critters into that area of the fridge using the animal zones.

Riph

Panzer

It definitely is hilarious ;D

especially funny with starved animals and only beer around :D they ll keep consuming til they pass out ^^

milon

At first I thought the thread title was "... this cow prefers beef".

Good thing it's just a lush and not a cannibal!  O_o

Topper

Loki88

Quote from: Topper on October 12, 2015, 01:46:17 PM
Why do you have your food prep in the freezer?

I do the same thing. It increases your cooks' efficiency by reducing travel time thus lowering the cycle time of prepping one meal to the next. You might be surprised how much of a difference it can make.

Facepunch

Jamini

postm00v

zandadoum

Quote from: Loki88 on October 12, 2015, 01:49:18 PM

I do the same thing. It increases your cooks' efficiency by reducing travel time thus lowering the cycle time of prepping one meal to the next. You might be surprised how much of a difference it can make.

i don't like to build things that in my head look or are "absurd"... besides, colonists do get hypotermia if the freezer is real cold.

so what i do instead and to increase efficiency is this:

https://imgur.com/QTeojS7

explanation:
- entrance on top, freezer at bottom, ventilation shaft left
- huge freezer, set to "important"
- small stockpiles like the meal one next to door, set to critical, this allows people and certain animals to pick up meals and go eat in the dining room without having to go into the huge freezer
- small stockpiles around cooking tables for raw materials, set to critical, this allows cooks to cook quick without even moving an inch (cooked meals are dropped on the spot)

this works perfect and efficient, all it needs is a bit of extra hauling, which for a dedicated hauler (i have 1 set to work only inside my base and several animals) is not a big deal.

i do a similar thing in my crafting room:

https://imgur.com/q1WmUfm

harpo99999

it seems to me that the cow wanted to be pickled beef
then again it might have wanted fermented milk to drink

Loki88

Quote from: zandadoum on October 13, 2015, 06:57:44 AM
Quote from: Loki88 on October 12, 2015, 01:49:18 PM

i don't like to build things that in my head look or are "absurd"... besides, colonists do get hypotermia if the freezer is real cold.

so what i do instead and to increase efficiency is this:

https://imgur.com/QTeojS7

explanation:
- entrance on top, freezer at bottom, ventilation shaft left
- huge freezer, set to "important"
- small stockpiles like the meal one next to door, set to critical, this allows people and certain animals to pick up meals and go eat in the dining room without having to go into the huge freezer
- small stockpiles around cooking tables for raw materials, set to critical, this allows cooks to cook quick without even moving an inch (cooked meals are dropped on the spot)

this works perfect and efficient, all it needs is a bit of extra hauling, which for a dedicated hauler (i have 1 set to work only inside my base and several animals) is not a big deal.

i do a similar thing in my crafting room:

https://imgur.com/q1WmUfm

You can start running in to spoilage issues with meat when you start making lavish meals and run out of veggies after an influx of meat, such as the man hunting elephants that show up on my mountain when its minus 96 celcius outside.

I do agree its a very efficient setup and I use a similar idea with my crafting area. I'm just to lazy to micromanage meat spoilage timers.

As for the hypothermia, I'm usually in a boreal forest (personal favourite) so the derps are geared up for colder weather. In a desert or scrubland my cook wears a thrumbo fur jacket.