Caveman Challange

Started by Dan85, September 17, 2014, 01:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

For a campfire you'd need to make a new system where it keeps track of how much wood is in it, an AI system to refill that wood, and a work type to make that duty configurable.

Torches would have to be "re-lightable"; you don't want to have to manually place them every day. But again, you'd need AI code to handle this and another work type on the overview screen.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

JimmyAgnt007

Why not make a campfire a storage zone of 1 square, only holds wood, with critical priority.  Keeps it going all the time.  The AI just sees it as the zone, just dont let them firefight it.  Might work? 

Torches could work the same way, just only holds 1 wood.

Have a forbid option for them to prevent refueling if you want them to burn out since you cant deconstruct something thats on fire.

Matthiasagreen

As far as I am aware, you can deconstruct something that is on fire. It is a fairly common practice to deconstruct things like generators that cannot be saved to recoup some of the lost resources.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

JimmyAgnt007

i did not know that, maybe i should say, you 'shouldnt' deconstruct things that are on fire.  lol

Matthiasagreen

I know of campfire and torch mods. I have tried the torch mod and the problem is it pretty much self destructs after a certain time, which would be rather annoying, but maybe realistic. An approach to remedy that is to do something along the lines of what you said. Make a single square structure and require a hopper next to it and require wood for it to run. You could even make a "rudimentary hopper" that is the same as a regular hopper, but made of wood (or made of metal, but change the skin of it). All of this has been implemented in different forms through other mods. Doable. Add that to the crafting tables to create the weapons and the clothes, along with the removal of any advanced factions and you got yourself a good mod. Too bad I have no programming skills whatsoever and don't know where to even start. :)
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

JimmyAgnt007

Well think of torches as the hopper itself, when it has wood it is on fire.  when it doesnt then its out. a burned out torch looks like a metal wire frame.  so its not gone, just needs wood, the AI sees it as a critical priority storage zone, so they just grab a piece and plunk it in.

Haplo

ItchyFlea had a firewood cookstove back in .. I think alpha 4?
It did work like described: When you started it, it created a stockpile that was filled by haulers. Once a certain amount of wood was inside, the stockpile vanished. You could cook until the firewood went out and a manual restart was in order.
A second one was a torch-kind, that created the stockpile whenever the wood reached a defined threashold. You needed to 'extinguish' it to stop haulers from refilling it.
It is not a perfect system, so not really fit for the vanilla game, but perfectly doable via modding :)
Today, I use the updated concepts for a bunch of other stuff, like the nano storage.

Feniks

Quote from: Tynan on September 18, 2014, 01:43:30 PM
For a campfire you'd need to make a new system where it keeps track of how much wood is in it, an AI system to refill that wood, and a work type to make that duty configurable.

Torches would have to be "re-lightable"; you don't want to have to manually place them every day. But again, you'd need AI code to handle this and another work type on the overview screen.

Couldn't you just use the code for a hoper and instead of food place wood in there?

MajorFordson

Would have thought that hoppers indeed already set a precedent for this type of behaviour.

+1 to hoping we get a lot of "low tech" buildings and things for the players early game. Then players who wish to can continue to use those things if they want a primitive playstyle. Again, the idea of items and concepts that can be used both as part of normal gameplay pacing/expansion/growth as well as for players who just like the style.

JimmyAgnt007

or just a primitive game mode that eliminates mechs from showing up, and all other factions are tribes

Dan85

There is some mods out there with fires (TechTreeMinami v2.8), I don't know much about modding. Is it difficult to do for Rimworld?

Drahkon

Perhaps for a wood cooking stove just a new workstation with wood listed directly into the recipe, scratch lavish meals off the list to keep it basic. Also handy during power outages for non-cavemen. For lighting add windows (one side must open onto a roofless square) and/or skylights (thin or no roof), during daylight they glow at 80% of outside light if exposed to it. Ideally colonists shouldn't be bothered by darkness while sleeping.

sparda666

sounds like a campfire could just be a hopper that produces light as long as there is wood in it and slowly consumes wood inside it.

Loki88

Thread revive!

This challenge should be a lot more doable now, I will give it a whack.

Any more takers?

Boston

Quote from: Loki88 on October 11, 2015, 12:50:19 PM
Thread revive!

This challenge should be a lot more doable now, I will give it a whack.

Any more takers?

I've done it already, actually. It .... isn't all that difficult, in all seriousness. Sure, building fires every day is a PITA, but, other than that, the only real "challenge" in the challenge is preserving food. I use mods that bring in local traders, and others that allow you to fish, etc etc etc, so food and trade isn't really an issue. It is actually possible to undertake this challenge without using any power at all.

You should be able to smoke food (and fish), and dry out the majority of vegetables, either by exposure to fire or just in the sun (better hope you have good weather for a couple of days!). Clothing-making stations really shouldn't require power (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warp-weighted_loom), neither should cooking, for that matter.

In real life, I've cooked some pretty nice meals for a decent number of people using little more than a campfire, embers from said fire, and some flat rocks.