Sandstone and Glass

Started by Angie, September 17, 2014, 04:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angie

Brought up in another thread by Betaspectre (yay), creating sand bricks in lieu of wood in deserty biomes... got me thinking more about the usefullness of Sandstone.

Actually, I think I'd much prefer Sandstone blocks/bricks as a decorative material- can't conduct power, not as strong as stone but asthetically warm and inviting, golden walls, soft floor-tiles. Also, having a carving bench to "sculpt" various items out of sandstone, adds happiness and increases mood, and maybe a touch of artsyness and kitchyness (once Art gets implimented).

EDIT: Oh, and , glass, damnit! I want my colonists to be able to see out of windows... is there any mention or talk of Glass blocks for A7?

BetaSpectre

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Matthiasagreen

I am interested in the wall building mechanics that are coming in Alpha 7. First you choose wall, and then you choose the type. I think that any wall would conduct power, if you added a single metal to it. The only wall that should naturally conduct electricity are metal walls. Everything else should require extra metal to whatever it is made out of. wood walls conduct electricity just as well as adobe, but either of them with a wire running through it....
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Angie

Ah... now that sounds just lovely! I'm currently at my day-job which blocks access to the changelog, but I'd dig that availability. Going to have to catch-up on the update-notes when I get home.

Still want the art-sculpture table (as I'm an artist IRL) ;)

Matthiasagreen

He mentions some of it here

http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=5776.msg55652#msg55652

the part about adding a bit of metal is from a mod I play.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

stefanstr

Sandstone is most definitely in. From the changelog:
"World now generates with different stone types. Currently sandstone, granite, limestone, marble, slate."

BetaSpectre

Cool. Its probably balanced and hopefully placeable.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Angie

You guys are awesome... thanks <3

Angie

Edit on OP.

EDIT: Oh, and , glass, damnit! I want my colonists to be able to see out of windows... is there any mention or talk of Glass blocks for A7?

Matthiasagreen

I have seen nothing official on glass, though there are mods that add it. However, there is an interesting conversation on the apparent impossibilities of windows at the moment.

http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=5931.msg58546#msg58546

Angie

kingtyris

I really like this idea. Early windows could be little more then a hole in the wall with some shutters, while after you are able to produce glass you unlock better glass windows.