Release prisoner

Started by nils, September 18, 2014, 10:00:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nils

I may just be missing this, but I'd like to release a prisoner. Had this guy in my last game, good character but unfortunately got shot up so badly in his attack on my base that he became useless. I know I can execute prisoners, but that's a bit harsh. Don't like selling slaves either.

I know I can just remove the door or wall of the prison, and the guy will run for it, but then my guys will try to recapture him. Plus, prisoners I may wish to keep may also escape.

Why not let me just give him a pat on the back and say "nuh-uh be nicer next time".

Could even result in a minor rep boost for his faction. "Gee, we attacked them and they let our guys go - maybe they are not so evil after all."

JimmyAgnt007

Dont think pirates will like you more if you release prisoners, but being able to release them would be handy.  Also being able to dismiss colonists you dont want would be nice.

Involved

I'd enjoy this option. Recruiting or killing needs something in the middle, and the rep boost from releasing is a nice touch in my view. Maybe even recruiting them could add a negative rep to their original faction, so it adds more tactical depth to prisoner handling. I currently find it's too easy to recruit from raids, there should be consequences. 
Thank you Tynan for creating a game of my dreams. Let's all help make Rimworld the best it can be!

Angie

Agree- releasing or even "ousting" folk, captured or colonized, would be a great middleoftheroad option for cleaning house.

Keymaster89

I will also like the idea to save and heal people of other friendly faction without the need to capture them...
"Hold on frinds i'll got u, please resist a little more"
"KIDNAP! HE KIDNAPPED ME!!!"
"but... man, i'm trying to save your life calm down!"
"KIDNAP! ABUCTION! HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP"

:-\ actually i leave them die... i can't do nothing for them...

dotsnake

sorry to steal the thread, but my problem kinda relates to this.
So I've gotten a notification that my area just became a battlefield, after a few days, a bunch of enemy faction started attacking and my ally started to joining up. At the end of the battle, there are a bunch of dying allies, and if I capture them, they get mad, and so I had to let my dying ally...well, starve to death, nothing I could have done.

I wish there is a way to just put a dying ally to my medical bed and heal it until it gets better.
Sure it's not real, but its all about roleplay.

nils

Quote from: dotsnake on September 19, 2014, 07:19:34 AM
I wish there is a way to just put a dying ally to my medical bed and heal it until it gets better.
Sure it's not real, but its all about roleplay.

There is, they should save them automatically but you can always right-click on the wounded and click save xyz. Obviously needs a free medical bed, and may need a free doctor. May need to draft the guy you use first (not at my PC as I type this).

nils

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on September 18, 2014, 10:16:19 AM
Dont think pirates will like you more if you release prisoners, but being able to release them would be handy.  Also being able to dismiss colonists you dont want would be nice.

Dismissing other colonists should result in a mood penalty though, but yeah, would be handy. Esp for RP situations.

I was thinking more of the hostile tribespeople, but why shouldn't pirates come to like you? Especially since they may not actually hate you personally. Beat them often enough and still be kind to them, and they eventually stop bothering you.

But anyway the rep bit is optional, the release prisoner thing is the one important thing in the suggestion. Hate executing prisoners.

BetaSpectre

Its recruit, Execute, or ignore ATM

I'd love to be able to give a failure of a prisoner a backpack, 100 food and tell them here's the door.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Spidyy

Also an option to exchange prisoners to their own faction for some money or furnitures would be nice, since we can communicate with them.

keylocke

Quote from: Spidyy on September 21, 2014, 06:15:29 PM
Also an option to exchange prisoners to their own faction for some money or furnitures would be nice, since we can communicate with them.

ooh nice! ransom! i like it..  ;D

BetaSpectre

Ransoming has been a widely supported idea. But mostly for cash and reputation.

Catch enough and those prisoners will talk about how fearsome your colony was :3!
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO