black screen on change resoultion with nvidia card

Started by harpo99999, November 05, 2013, 05:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harpo99999

I am running on a i3 3.4ghz system w7-32bit w nvidia gf430 w latest whql drivers and when I try to 1 switch to window mode, or 2 change resolution all I get is a completely BLACK screen and nothing other than a reboot will get anything visible on the display, and yes I also tried to alt-tab to another task, ctrl-alt-del to task manager, waiting for 20 minutes, but the same comp does play other stratagy games like fallen enchantress supcom & similar without ANY issues

Bobthefarmer1

the issue might be that your running a 32 bit OS, however idk if this is 64 bit game.

Tynan

Did you try moving the window a bit?

This is a known bug I'm working on.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

harpo99999

tynan, I could not even see a mouse cursor OR any other items on a completely BLACK screen, nor could I alt-tab to other programs or windows, BUT I did get to run the game in a windows mode by editing the registry before runningit after the fourth re-boot. a possible fix might be to make the windowed mode the default

Kraal Fiction

I also have this problem on my desktop with an nVidia card.
My game is stuck in fullscreen mode, because if I try to change the window size in any way(changing resolution, window mode, even by quitting to os!), my entire screen goes black and the only way to fix it is by hard resetting my computer. Edit: Note, the game continues to be fullscreened after reset, as the setting probably don't save on crash.

I do have a workaround.  I can run Rim World in sandbox mode using Comodo firewall, on partially limited (it still gets access to the save files and everything).  That lets me atleast alt+tab if the screen goes black, though in sandbox mode the problem just doesn't seem to occur.

If you would like any more info on my computer, just let me know what you need.
Now that I'm home, here are some specs:
Windows 7, 64 bit.
i3 processor, 3.3 GHz
4 gigs ram.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Drivers should be updated)

qcblastar

It does the same thing for me at home, I have windows 7 at home and windows 8 at my college, windows 7 gives me a black screen and I cannot move the window and it seems that on windows 8, there is no problem at all, so I guess if you have windows 8 you might want to install it to fix this bug.

Kraal Fiction

Quote from: qcblastar on November 07, 2013, 12:44:19 PM
It does the same thing for me at home, I have windows 7 at home and windows 8 at my college, windows 7 gives me a black screen and I cannot move the window and it seems that on windows 8, there is no problem at all, so I guess if you have windows 8 you might want to install it to fix this bug.
It shouldn't be a windows 7 issue.  My laptop with Win7 does not have the same issue my Win7 desktop does.

Noraedori

It's not exactly the same issue, but I changed the graphic quality and the game crash. (nVidia card also) The game stayed open on a Black screen as well, but by alt-tabbing I could see a message that the game crash. closing the windows and trying to open it again, it opened on the black screen and the crash message on another window. I had to clean my registry for the game to open again.

Not sure if it's a related issue, but it seemed a little similar.