New trait ideas

Started by ParagonTerminus, September 20, 2014, 05:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tumuel

Quote from: Tynan on September 21, 2014, 12:17:39 PM
Quote from: ParagonTerminus on September 21, 2014, 07:23:44 AM
I don't want to have the dilemma of having a super-useful colonist who may also end up stabbing another super-good colonist without warning.

Dilemmas are usually considered the best kind of game design.

If you do end up putting this in the game, I think it would be a better idea to make it optional, because it is really a feature I do not want to see in the game (but I do see why others might like it).

keylocke

Quote from: Tumuel on September 23, 2014, 07:22:57 AM
If you do end up putting this in the game, I think it would be a better idea to make it optional, because it is really a feature I do not want to see in the game (but I do see why others might like it).

recruitment is always optional.

i'm actually kinda picky on the people i recruit and had to pass up on so many "talented" people who lacks certain traits that i'm looking for..

as for people who automatically "joins" the colony, it's really not that hard to arrest them if you don't like them so much.

Johnny Masters

+1
specially since some of those are about the same as the ones i suggested in the megathread, about two weeks ago http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=58.60  which is okay, most are pretty obvious or taken from other rpg traits ;) 

I'll just post all for reference, some of the mechanics are different depending on who suggested, obviously i like mine better hehe

Friendly:  Bonus chat buff to other colonists
Annoying:  Penalty chat debuff to other colonists
Fast metabolism: gets hungry faster, heals faster
Large: big and burly, has extra hit points. Move slower
Thin: slender body for fewer hit points and faster movement
Leader: bonus job efficiency for nearby allies and/or halves penalties for things like corpses or killings.
Sex-Appeal: bonus chat for opposed sex, half for same sex.
Insomniac: Sleep less, but is less efficient
Feral: Can't use tech equipments or weapons but is extra good at melee
Sleepwalker: a "for fun" trait. character will do random things (like moving or carrying stuff) while  sleeping.
Strongback:  should more slots be implemented, this one gives an extra slot, or hauls more resources at once.
Scary:  Emits a fear "aura" that can demoralizes enemies
Stubborn: from time to time it ignores your commands

ParagonTerminus

Quote from: Tynan on September 21, 2014, 12:17:39 PM
Quote from: ParagonTerminus on September 21, 2014, 07:23:44 AM
I don't want to have the dilemma of having a super-useful colonist who may also end up stabbing another super-good colonist without warning.

Dilemmas are usually considered the best kind of game design.

Yes, but what worries me is that I'll be off tending to something when suddenly a message pops up: "Hey, your favourite colonist just got stabbed without warning and there's NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT (except reload the save)"

If this were a thing, it should at least have a warning message, and if it does, the point is somewhat ruined.
Hi there! I hail from the Sky9, FTL, and Katawa Shoujo forums, so if you're on any of those, I (might) know you.

Now carry along, I'm sure the guy below me has something interesting and contributive to say.

Johnny Masters

Yeah, i thought about suggesting a serial killer trait, but i quickly dismissed as it would be annoying. In theory it's cool, but there's no point in adding a trait that would just make you re-load a save, which is what most of us would do. If you had 100s of people in a colony, sure, 5-15? nah

keylocke

meh.. serial killers isn't really much different from the spy/traitor events that just randomly triggers..

it might even be fun if instead of a trait, a serial killer murder attempt (or just plain murder) is just another event that can get triggered from time to time.

it just adds up to the "story" of the colony.

Spectre

Weak/strong - Cannot haul as many resources/ can haul twice as many

Glutton - Eats twice as many edible items to become 'satisfied'

Feral - cannot research/doctor/social/shooting/firefight/construct. Has no negative penalties to eating paste/eating off floor/eating raw food/ eating human meat. Positive mood for sleeping outside.

Vegan - Cannot hunt/eat meat/eat fine and above meals/butcher. No penalty to eating paste. Gains mood for eating raw vegetables.

Space Dwarf - Never receives cabin fever/ cabin fever is reversed as they prefer to stay in doors.

Psyker - Receives positive bonuses from psychic devices rather than negative.

Boarding School reject - Bonus to mood if they share a bedroom with others. Cannot research.

Vengeful - Gains mood bonuses based on the amount of enemy type killed (Tribal, pirate etc). Receives negative mood if receives negative medical attention.

Suicidal - Receives bonus hit points (Takes them longer to become incapacitated) Dies instantly when incapacitated.

Sadistic - Gain positive mood seeing dying enemies/allies.

These are just off the top of my head, any feedback would be appreciated.
Holding hands whilst the walls come tumbling down.

Bbubbles328

Cannibal - No negative thoughts and maybe even gain positive mood to eating human meat

Johnny Masters

Quote from: Bbubbles328 on September 24, 2014, 01:46:12 AM
Cannibal - No negative thoughts and maybe even gain positive mood to eating human meat

As per the Cannibal trait we currently have in the game? xD

Still waiting for the possibility of a Psionic trait. Psionics could use a researchable psionic amplification "gun" that would tore people apart/immolate from a distance.

Spectre

Quote from: Bbubbles328 on September 24, 2014, 01:46:12 AM

I thought we were listing new traits, I didn't realise it was a quiz to which traits were already in the game :P

Kevan Lowell

I'm pretty sure it's  been mentioned before. But pregnant would be awesome. The character would have morning sickness for a while, then get fatter, always tired so they would do less work. And if somehow they could eventually give birth then it would add a great continuity to the game, suddenly the game isn't so much about the original colonists survival its about starting a new civilization. Anyways just a thought.

Johnny Masters

Quote from: Kevan Lowell on September 24, 2014, 05:52:16 PM
I'm pretty sure it's  been mentioned before. But pregnant would be awesome. The character would have morning sickness for a while, then get fatter, always tired so they would do less work. And if somehow they could eventually give birth then it would add a great continuity to the game, suddenly the game isn't so much about the original colonists survival its about starting a new civilization. Anyways just a thought.

A couple of times yeah ^^. But it's not the most popular suggestion, i for one dislike it as IMO it goes a different direction from what i think should be the premises of the game, also its not a a trait hahaa.

Although i wouldn't hate it, it would require a different time span to have a functioning reproduction cycle (giving birth is not a disadvantage but a condition to produce new colonists). I myself want to have a more focused, individual narrative, based on the core survivors, with a more realistic timeframe (time goes by slow and arduous).

If the game were to be Rimworld - Pioneers, based around a bunch of looney settlers settling on a wild world, then yeah, reproduction all the way.

CrazyRu55ian

I think its all good to have new traits that people start out with, but what about traits that are bound to the person mood. Example:

When colonist is at a normal mood level, they have their standard traits. Once a colonist gets below a certain level of their mood THEN bad traits will show up such as suicidal, homicidal, etc.

This would mean I wouldn't know what all the traits my colonists have unless they get below/above a certain level. I could have a colonist who is a great hunter, but when his mood drops below X amount, he gets the trait of sadistic which would make him occasionally shoot  somebody since hes in a bad mood. Once you bring his mood back up, the sadistic trait goes away.

Moods should be more dynamic with reference to what happens to the colonists I feel. If colonist A hangs around with colonist B for X amount of time they can have an "attached/attracted to B" trait. If colonist B dies, THEN colonist A could get depressed.

Just my 2 cents as to what I think would make traits more fun instead of me just click "randomize" and knowing every time what ill be hit with.

Spectre

Quote from: CrazyRu55ian on September 24, 2014, 06:45:01 PM
I think its all good to have new traits that people start out with, but what about traits that are bound to the person mood. Example:

When colonist is at a normal mood level, they have their standard traits. Once a colonist gets below a certain level of their mood THEN bad traits will show up such as suicidal, homicidal, etc.

This would mean I wouldn't know what all the traits my colonists have unless they get below/above a certain level. I could have a colonist who is a great hunter, but when his mood drops below X amount, he gets the trait of sadistic which would make him occasionally shoot  somebody since hes in a bad mood. Once you bring his mood back up, the sadistic trait goes away.

Moods should be more dynamic with reference to what happens to the colonists I feel. If colonist A hangs around with colonist B for X amount of time they can have an "attached/attracted to B" trait. If colonist B dies, THEN colonist A could get depressed.

Just my 2 cents as to what I think would make traits more fun instead of me just click "randomize" and knowing every time what ill be hit with.

I think that is an excellent idea, as different colonists would react differently to certain situations. One colonist might get depressed at seeing an ally die where another might become stalwart and soldier on, working harder so it doesn't happen again.

Johnny Masters

Hmm i don't think that's how being sadistic or depressive works (and possibly all negative traits).  A sadistic person is sadistic because that's how its personality works, it will be sadistic to become happy or to stop from become unhappy (so its always sadistic). Plus sadistic isn't = homicidal/psychotic.

Perhaps what is missing is temporary trait or a conditions tab. Depressive should be a temporary condition, although you could have someone with the potential to acquire that condition easier, such as a bipolar or dysthymic person.

A suicidal or homicidal behavior could be the breaking point of a mental breakdown, depending on the personality of the pawn (perhaps an invisible violence/passiveness attribute). Either way it shouldn't be common to have such extreme behaviors. You kill yourself or kill others because you're driven to extreme situations that offer you little alternatives, such as discovering that 100 raiders are knocking on you door and your starship isn't ready to go off, or that you've acquired a terminal disease. You kill raiders easily because there's no attachment. Killing your friends/mates should be an once in a game event

So, yeah, to sum up, i think a new "conditions" tab would cover these, including attachment to other colonists. It would or could work as some sort of historical record of the colonists interactions such as "made friends with ross", then you'd get buffs or penalties related to that (chatting with him, or he dying), conversely, a dislike condition would be as viable. Then, if the pawn should ever go nuts, the chance to go homicidal goes towards someone it dislikes instead of someone it likes.