Need help with a few things please :)

Started by Sooner535, September 26, 2014, 12:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sooner535

Hey guys I bought the game about 2 weeks ago and let me tell you something, WTF is going to be improved in this game? Lol it is perfect now >.< cept maybe melee but eh, anyways I could use some answers please if some of you woul be so kind.

1. I want to have Cassandra or Randy or both to increase the amount of people they send to me, from what I understand the AI has a min max and critical amount of colonist, how would I go about increasing them? I want about a min 6 or 10 and a max 20 or 30

2. The landed AI ship part gets me everytime >.< what's the best strategy for fighting it?

3. Is there a way to increase the likelihood of one event of the other? Also I have the custom events mod that adds a lot more events so could I manipulate those as well?

Sorry for all the questions :) thanks for any replies

Neurotoxin

1. While it's inadvisable to directly modify the core files just changing the population should be an issue. Take a look in Rimworld Directory\Mods\Core\Defs\StorytellerDefs and open the xml file there with a text editor. If you look around I bet you can figure out what needs to change ;)

2. Snipers, Kiting, Mortars and a couple of exploits (such as walling it off and then damaging it so the mechanoids have nowhere to spawn) I kinda suck at describing strategies, so maybe someone else can get this one.

3. Again take a look at the xml file in Rimworld Dir\Mods\Core\Defs\IncidentDefs I bet you can figure out what to change ;)

I purposely didn't hold your hand on the xml file parts because figuring it out is fun AND learning how the xml works will get you halfway to being able to make your own mods. Of course there's a lot more to it but poking around in the core xml files is a great place to start. If you really need help beyond that feel free to message me and I'll point you in the right direction.

Also, let me be the first to welcome you to the community. I hope you enjoy the game and your stay here.

Oh and as far as what's going to be improved, take a look at the changelog (stickied at the top of this forum).

muffins

1 - I usually end up with 40-50 colonists on an unmodified Randy game. I just try to capture as many incapacitated hostiles/friendlies as possible.

2 - I just rain death down upon it with the artillery mod.

Sooner535

Lol I all but forgot that the main files of the game were in the mods folder -.- I was frantically searching and couldn't figure it out lol thanks :D as for the Randy part I usually don't like using Randy I more like Cassandras curve :D. Also thanks for tips on the mechs >.< I hope later he adds the ability to stop certain spawns because I find of enjoy just the normal assaults :D though with crafting extended your base can be a little uh indestructible :D.  Oh ya thanks for the warm welcome lol

Montanio

I had a crashed ship spawn just awhile ago. The best defense is still making a killbox entrance to your base. The mech infantry is relatively weak and will move faster, making them free kills. The centipedes can be weakened with sniping and hit and run tactics due to their slower weapon aim times and low mobility. Micro manage your troops and equip for speed instead of armor to take them out, use alot of pausing and saving!

Dr. Z

Right now there is an exploit which you can use to get rid of the ship part: You can build walls around it and that deconstruct or shoot them to cause the roof to collapse which instantly kills the ship part (I never tried it though so this is only things i heard of, you might have to collapse more than one roof and I don't know if you will get a AI core with this method).
Prasie the Squirrel!

C. Fenderson

Quote from: Neurotoxin on September 26, 2014, 02:25:16 AM
1. While it's inadvisable to directly modify the core files just changing the population should be an issue. Take a look in Rimworld Directory\Mods\Core\Defs\StorytellerDefs and open the xml file there with a text editor. If you look around I bet you can figure out what needs to change ;)
I'd still recommend copying that file into a new 'mod', keeping the same file structure as the core mod.  If you mess up the core files, you'll need to redownload it, which is a pain.

Sooner535

Once again guys thanks for all your help >.< I have modded skyrim, minecraft, and a few others backing up my game is second nature haha. Also the roof thing isnt really my style I like to play fair (my colonists will most likely hate me for that)

C. Fenderson

Quote from: Sooner535 on September 26, 2014, 09:52:55 AM
Once again guys thanks for all your help >.< I have modded skyrim, minecraft, and a few others backing up my game is second nature haha. Also the roof thing isnt really my style I like to play fair (my colonists will most likely hate me for that)
Fair's a pretty subjective thing.  I don't think mechanoids are fair, so I usually put a roof on 'em.

Sooner535

I have one more quick question, I bought the game for 20$ and now that I have played this awhile I want to increase my buy order to the next tier (or the one after that) is there a way I can do that without buying again?

Matthiasagreen

Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

PookyJM

You just made me think that i should probably do the same as I have so much fun with this game ... hmmm paying more then the basic game for any kickstart/early access/deluxe edition game would be a 1st for me !

Neurotoxin

Quote from: C. Fenderson on September 26, 2014, 06:26:27 AM
Quote from: Neurotoxin on September 26, 2014, 02:25:16 AM
I'd still recommend copying that file into a new 'mod', keeping the same file structure as the core mod.  If you mess up the core files, you'll need to redownload it, which is a pain.

Yep, that's why I said it's inadvisable to modify the core files. As for redownloading, I always keep a copy of the current archive on my hard drive. then it's as simple as re-extracting it and the archive is less than 100mb so it's not like it takes up a ton of space.