Been playing for a month now...

Started by BugPowderDust, October 29, 2014, 04:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BugPowderDust

Having been a long time player of Prison Architect, I became aware of Rimworld due the 'similar' nature of game, and kind of similar look. This was a while ago, and I wanted to avoid getting into yet another early release game.

Then I caught some publicity that the Alpha 7 release gave off, and thought 'why not'. I am so glad I did! Here's my 2p on it

Much like I enjoy PA's monthly new features release schedule (with the occasional bug bash), I see Rimworld's changelog and get really excited. Every time a new alpha comes out, there are new features that could easily drastically change your play style- eg. upcoming temperatures having effects, colonists reacting to harvesting of organs  etc.

Onto the game. The pace of it is great, it's great that you can play it offline or in the middle of the night- you don't need to rely on internet or other people being around. Awesome for playing on the train or a long flight, and begging to be released on a mobile platform  ;D

The soundtrack is spot on, really superb- twangy guitars lend a lot of atmosphere, I'm hoping for more of the same. The audio effects are great also, I was playing in the lounge yesterday and my wife said that wind and rain sounds were making her feel cold!!

The sandbox nature of the game is very welcome, every time you start a new colony the map is different. Want an open map? You got it. Encased in mountains? No problem.

The game would've been very different if there was no danger of raids, and these add a welcome storyline, source of kit, new colonists and of course, organs.

if I can be so bold as to suggest a couple of improvements:

• Tutorial about the mechs- it's only through watching some Let's Play videos did I understand that I needed to shoot the spaceship piece that lands at some point, to aggro the mechs inside. I guess blowing up the piece to remove the droning is intuitive anyway, but still.
  • Colonists incapable of x- although I get this with advanced things like doctoring, it's a bit much to say a person can't carry something from A to B, or cook a simple meal. Perhaps get them to do the task, but do it slowly and begrudgingly, with negative thought penalties. Maybe if they get to a certain level, they could do something like sabotage?
  • AI and killboxes- no doubt this has been talked about a lot. Making a killbox is a good way of defending the colony, but it doesn't add much to the game when the AI just blunders in through a single gap in a wall, and find 10 turrets pointing at them. Maybe a calculation on a point to see if it's in range of x turrets. If so, AI decides to smash a wall in instead. Maybe mining through rock to get to the back of a colony? Tricky thing to get right, admittedly.

Anyway, just my 2p on the game, I love it and keep up the sterling work :)

vagineer1

Nice to see you're enjoying Rimworld. I cannot wait to see what is in store for it's future.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

Thorin

an other rimworld playlist to watch, while playing rimworld  ;D

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"