Your weirdest habits

Started by ParagonTerminus, September 21, 2014, 10:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stefanstr

Quote from: UrbanBourbon on September 24, 2014, 06:04:16 PM
- Haven't played in a while but the last time I did, I liked to build all walls out of stone. Power lines would hug the stone wall outside. Stoves and workstations happily took power through the stone wall. I'm not sure I'm able to build metal walls ever again.

This will become obsolete  with Alpha 7, as we will be able to build powered walls out of any material.

Matthiasagreen

Even though I am a cave dweller, all my inside base has walls. usually wood.

I avoid power lines whenever possible

I only create three types of rooms. 5X6 bedrooms, 9X9 work rooms and storage rooms, and two wide hallways.

Because my cave bases have walls inside, I never mine out a whole room at a time. To avoid cave-ins that will probably never happen, I mine out a two my two parameter within each room, build wall of the room on the outside of the parameter, and then mine out the rest of the room.

I don't like having anything in a bedroom besides a bed and a light.

There are probably more I can't think of right now.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

ParagonTerminus

Here's one I have:

Whenever I choose my starter colonists, I try to get at least one male and female of similar ages and then decree that they shall be a couple and then weave it into the story.
Hi there! I hail from the Sky9, FTL, and Katawa Shoujo forums, so if you're on any of those, I (might) know you.

Now carry along, I'm sure the guy below me has something interesting and contributive to say.

C. Fenderson

Quote from: Matthiasagreen on September 25, 2014, 10:07:37 AM
I don't like having anything in a bedroom besides a bed and a light.
You just reminded me, I love having an equipment rack in my bedrooms.  That might change due to a new mod I have that adds in 'shelves' for medical items, which I'll probably be using instead because of the medical beds in every bedroom.

Rahjital

- I always build a town, even when it would be clearly more advantageous to bury into a mountain, and the town has to have at least 5 tiles wide streets, and has to have large and vulnerable gates in the outer walls. 

- One building in said town can only have one purpose. A granary for storing food and a warehouse for other things, mess hall for eating, hospital for the wounded, etc. Two buildings are never joined together unless they share their purpose. Aesthetics also win over practical design.

- No solar panels and (almost) no batteries. The colony is powered entirely by geothermal generators and only critical pieces of equipment get their own battery to ensure they run in the event of power shortage. 

- I insist on playing the game like Jagged Aliance instead of tower defense when the raids come. Waiting for the raiders to get slaughtered in a killbox is boring, using tactics and outmaneuvering them is not.

- I believe mountain colonies are harder to defend.

Calistyn

- I don't use hallways. All rooms open immediately into the next, with only a door as separation is necessary. (Prison, for instance.)

- The research bench is always outside.

- I never use killboxes. The run and fight style is far more entertaining to me.

- I always play on 'large hills' maps.

- I flatly refuse to research shipbuilding.

- I will accept no colonist unable to do dumb labor, including captured prisoners.

Rainbowlicious

I tend to make bedrooms BIG, like huge... and filled with a bed, lamp and carpet.

I also tend to make my bedrooms inside a mountain and EVERYTHING else outside. Prisons are usually inside a mountain, though.

I name my colonists special names but the colonists tend to be subordinate to the all mighty ______ who was bought from a slaver.

I rarely use geothermal power.

Ptolisgoodguy

I Rescue people and never sell no matter what but I tend to put less useful people on the front lines.

Instead of executing limbless people I let them go psychotic then kill them because it doesn't give the negative buff of executed a prisoner
I hear the voices... They are telling me to do terrible things... Sounds Fun!

PookyJM

-If I can afford the metal, red carpet is for work area, green for bedroom, blue for passage/road
-I build most of my base in a montain and the 1st room is always a 9x9 loby the serve as my dinning room
-I use the "create no roof region" button to look for big open area inside a mountain. If there is, its gonna be the location of my spaceship.
-The outdoor part of my base get an big attention on what is growing there: I usualy let only berry bush
-My designated cook is renamed Sanji  :)
-I dont like bateries, they discharge with balls of flame, if I can, I only use geothermal generator and micromanage the hell out of my electric output

EarthyTurtle

-I like to give my colonists nice big 9x9 rooms... Because they work hard and deserve to have their own table, lamp, royal bed, private weapons cache.
-If a colonist is permanently bed ridden, or has a major disability (like a shot to the brain that didn't kill them) I still keep them alive.
-With the exception of prison rooms & bedrooms, buildings/rooms in my colony do not have doors.
-My kill zones are always lit with multi-coloured lights... So raiders can die thinking it's Christmas :D.
-I like to make pathways around the map so it's easier for other colonies to travel through my territory.
-I use red lights for combat rooms, blue lights for living quarters, green lights for production facilities and white lights for corridors. Unlit rooms are power facilities.
-I like to give my colonists seats to sit on while they work and benches.
-I usually build a nice prison for my prisoners before I build nice rooms for my colonists.
-I hold funeral services for my colonists. I drag my colonists out and give them a day off work to gather around the deceased's grave.

Because I'm absolutely paranoid about drop pods...
-My whole colony is basically 1 big building. Everywhere is roofed and nothing is exposed to sunlight.
-My trade beacon is always placed outside my colonies walls. So if raiders drop they still drop outside my colony. (Everytime they do drop I laugh loudly going 'haha you fell for it!')
-If I have to build a ship I do so in a 16x16 space I set aside for tree growing. I also cover it with a roof, leaving only a 2 wide gap to make it look like hanger doors.

Quote from: PookyJM on September 28, 2014, 10:18:26 PM-I dont like bateries, they discharge with balls of flame, if I can, I only use geothermal generator and micromanage the hell out of my electric output
^ what he said :P. I'll even go as far as to turn off my entire colony just to use the remaining juice to power my turrets during a fight.

Jaxxa

Quote from: TinnedEpic on September 29, 2014, 01:12:54 AM
Because I'm absolutely paranoid about drop pods...
-My whole colony is basically 1 big building. Everywhere is roofed and nothing is exposed to sunlight.

Cant Drop pods punch through the roof?

EarthyTurtle

haven't had it happen yet. I assume not while there is still large open spaces around they can land on.

Coenmcj

Quote from: PookyJM on September 28, 2014, 10:18:26 PM
-My designated cook is renamed Sanji  :)

Nice, ever name your colony "going merry"?
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

keylocke

-If I can afford the metal, red carpet is for work area, green for bedroom, blue for passage/road

-woot. i also color code my base.
red is for defensive areas, green is for community areas, blue is for private rooms, stone floors are for fire buffer

ParagonTerminus

Quote from: keylocke on September 29, 2014, 12:08:53 PM

-woot. i also color code my base.
red is for defensive areas, green is for community areas, blue is for private rooms, stone floors are for fire buffer

Count me in on the color-code train!

Blue carpets for colonist rooms, red lights for storages, and green lights for the runway I always build outside the spaceship hangar.
Hi there! I hail from the Sky9, FTL, and Katawa Shoujo forums, so if you're on any of those, I (might) know you.

Now carry along, I'm sure the guy below me has something interesting and contributive to say.