[1.0] EdB Prepare Carefully - v1.0.13 (28 Jul 2019)

Started by EdB, September 21, 2014, 12:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pbwhiteboy

Question on this mod. Anybody think there might be a better way to do the point system. Everytime I load my older colonists it is either they are way over the point limit or way under. Just wondering if there is a better way to approach the point based system

Monzer

hey im getting blank screen when use anyidea why ? I'm disabling ccl for the moment as its outdated but I did't read that its a req for the mod

EdB

Quote from: Monzer on August 30, 2016, 08:08:14 PM
hey im getting blank screen when use anyidea why ? I'm disabling ccl for the moment as its outdated but I did't read that its a req for the mod

Be sure that you have the most recent version if you're playing Alpha 15, but this is typically caused by a conflict with another mod.  You might need to spend some time figuring out which one is causing the problem.  Be sure that you restart the game after you enable or disable mods--sometimes the game doesn't do a good job of doing this on its own.

EDIT: If you look at the game log, that can give you an idea of where the failure is happening in Prepare Carefully--this can make it easier for me to track down the issue.  But if it's a failure caused by another mod, it may or may not help to narrow down which one it is.  Fluffy's guide is a good place to start on how to report bugs in mods: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=725234314

CannibarRechter

Hi, EdB,

When this conflict occurs, is there a general cause, such as conflicting MapGenerator definitions, or some such?
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

EdB

Quote from: CannibarRechter on September 01, 2016, 08:21:58 AM
Hi, EdB,

When this conflict occurs, is there a general cause, such as conflicting MapGenerator definitions, or some such?

In general, the error where you get a black screen when you click on the "Prepare Carefully" button happens because something goes wrong when the mod is initializing the equipment list.  The mod goes through every item in the game, categorizes it and assigns a cost to it.  If an unexpected error happens during this process, the mod can end up completely broken.  Ultimately, this is a bug in the Prepare Carefully mod--there's someplace in the code where I'm making an assumption and not doing proper error-checking.  I fixed the worst of these bugs with the second Alpha 14 release, but it wouldn't surprise me if a few of them were still in there.

The good news on these errors is that if you look at the error log, it usually gives a good idea of where the error is happening.  So if you can find that log and post a screen grab of it somewhere, it can help a lot towards me fixing the problem.

Manly

I haven't played Rimworld in many months and just saw it was on steam so i quickly got my key and am ready to play.  But wait....is EdB's Prepare carefully updated because there is no way I am throwing myself at the game without this mod...

Came here and voila!  EdB you are my HERO!  Thank you so much for being such a huge part of this community and for using your enormous brain for our fun :)

EdB

Did a quick release of the mod built against the Alpha 15c release to try to solve compatibility issues that some people are having.

WluisW

hey man when I click ' create character ' nothing appears on the screen what should I do ?  :'(

wayward vagabond

every time I open prepare carefully I'm just with a blank screen and I'm meet with. what do I do? can't live without this mod.  :'( :'( :'(

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]
adolf pimpler

wayward vagabond

adolf pimpler

BaconBits

Hey EdB, I have A15c and I just downloaded your 0.15.1.2 version. When loaded it up, I got the following errors:
Exception loading ._EdBPrepareCarefully.dll: System.BadImageFormatException:
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.AppDomain:LoadAssemblyRaw (byte[],byte[],System.Security.Policy.Evidence,bool)
  at System.AppDomain.Load (System.Byte[] rawAssembly, System.Byte[] rawSymbolStore, System.Security.Policy.Evidence securityEvidence, Boolean refonly) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.AppDomain.Load (System.Byte[] rawAssembly, System.Byte[] rawSymbolStore, System.Security.Policy.Evidence securityEvidence) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.AppDomain:Load (byte[],byte[],System.Security.Policy.Evidence)
  at System.AppDomain.Load (System.Byte[] rawAssembly) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.AppDomain:Load (byte[])
  at Verse.ModAssemblyHandler.ReloadAll () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 37)

Exception reading ._CarefullyPawnRelations_FamilyByBlood.xml as XML: System.Xml.XmlException: Document element did not appear.  Line 1, position 1.
  at Mono.Xml2.XmlTextReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Xml.XmlDocument.ReadNodeCore (System.Xml.XmlReader reader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Xml.XmlDocument.ReadNode (System.Xml.XmlReader reader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load (System.Xml.XmlReader xmlReader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Xml.XmlDocument.LoadXml (System.String xml) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.LoadableXmlAsset..ctor (System.String name, System.String fullFolderPath, System.String contents) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 37)

Exception reading ._CarefullyPawnRelations_FamilyByChoice.xml as XML: System.Xml.XmlException: Document element did not appear.  Line 1, position 1.
  at System.Xml.XmlDocument.ReadNodeCore (System.Xml.XmlReader reader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Xml.XmlDocument.ReadNode (System.Xml.XmlReader reader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load (System.Xml.XmlReader xmlReader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Xml.XmlDocument.LoadXml (System.String xml) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.LoadableXmlAsset..ctor (System.String name, System.String fullFolderPath, System.String contents) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Exception reading ._CarefullyPawnRelations_Misc.xml as XML: System.Xml.XmlException: Document element did not appear.  Line 1, position 1.

Exception reading ._MapGenerators.xml as XML: System.Xml.XmlException: Document element did not appear.  Line 1, position 1.

Exception reading ._ScenParts_Fixed.xml as XML: System.Xml.XmlException: Document element did not appear.  Line 1, position 1.

Found no usable data when trying to get defs from file CarefullyPawnRelations_FamilyByBlood.xml

Found no usable data when trying to get defs from file CarefullyPawnRelations_FamilyByChoice.xml

Found no usable data when trying to get defs from file CarefullyPawnRelations_Misc.xml

Could not find type named EdB.PrepareCarefully.GenStep_ScenParts from node <genStep Class="EdB.PrepareCarefully.GenStep_ScenParts" />

Exception loading from System.Xml.XmlElement: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.MissingMethodException: Cannot create an abstract class 'Verse.GenStep'.
  at System.Activator.CheckAbstractType (System.Type type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Activator.CreateInstance (System.Type type, Boolean nonPublic) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Activator.CreateInstance (System.Type type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.XmlToObject.ObjectFromXml[GenStep] (System.Xml.XmlNode xmlRoot, Boolean doPostLoad) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[],System.Exception&)
  at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.XmlToObject.ObjectFromXml[GenStepDef] (System.Xml.XmlNode xmlRoot, Boolean doPostLoad) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Could not find a type named EdB.PrepareCarefully.Page_ConfigureStartingPawns

Exception loading from translation file C:\Users\Chett\My Games\RimWorldAlpha15cWin\Mods\EdBPrepareCarefully\Languages\English\Keyed\._EdBPrepareCarefully.xml: System.Xml.XmlException: invalid data.
  at System.Xml.XmlStreamReader.Read (System.Char[] dest_buffer, Int32 index, Int32 count) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Mono.Xml2.XmlTextReader.ReadTextReader (Int32 remained) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Mono.Xml2.XmlTextReader.PeekChar () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Mono.Xml2.XmlTextReader.ReadContent () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Mono.Xml.XmlFilterReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.ReadContent (System.Xml.XmlReader reader, LoadOptions options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.LoadCore (System.Xml.XmlReader reader, LoadOptions options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Load (System.String uri, LoadOptions options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Load (System.String uri) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.XmlLoaderSimple+<ValuesFromXmlFile>c__Iterator1BE.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.LoadedLanguage.LoadFromFile_Keyed (System.IO.FileInfo file) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Hope this helps.

EdB

Quote from: BaconBits on September 09, 2016, 01:11:22 PM
Hey EdB, I have A15c and I just downloaded your 0.15.1.2 version. When loaded it up, I got the following errors:

Unusual errors.  Did you download the mod from Dropbox or Github?  It looks to me like the mod installation might be somehow corrupted.

For example, the errors reference a file called "Languages\English\Keyed\._EdBPrepareCarefully.xml".  That file should not exist in the mod.  The file name is "Languages\English\Keyed\EdBPrepareCarefully.xml", without the "._" prefix.  Which OS are you on?  Windows, Mac or Linux?

I'd recommend deleting the mod folder, re-downloading and re-installing it just to make sure.

BaconBits

@EdB: I got it from the dorpbox link and I use windows. I will download it again with github.

Edit: After re-install, all is good. thanks bud