[1.0] EdB Prepare Carefully - v1.0.13 (28 Jul 2019)

Started by EdB, September 21, 2014, 12:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdB

Quote from: Dragoon on February 22, 2015, 05:14:12 PM
Is it possible to edit backstories so we can choose the body type for it? (yes i read first page I don't mean change it in prepare carefully)

The problem is that you can change the backstories while you're setting up your character in Prepare Carefully, but then when you load the characters up from a save game, it will change back to the defaults.  Without including custom save game data about which body types you've chosen, you'll lose it.

Dragoon

Quote from: EdB on February 22, 2015, 06:25:09 PM
Is it possible to edit backstories so we can choose the body type for it? (yes i read first page I don't mean change it in prepare carefully)
The problem is that you can change the backstories while you're setting up your character in Prepare Carefully, but then when you load the characters up from a save game, it will change back to the defaults.  Without including custom save game data about which body types you've chosen, you'll lose it.

What about modifying the back stories themselves to have different body types like in defs ?
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

EdB

Quote from: Dragoon on February 22, 2015, 06:48:39 PM
Quote from: EdB on February 22, 2015, 06:25:09 PM

What about modifying the back stories themselves to have different body types like in defs ?

It's fairly straightforward to modify or even to add new backstories.  They aren't mod-able through XML, but from code it's easy to play around with them.

Dragoon

I wish I knew how do any of that (I recently figured out how modify armor/weapons). I was hoping to change doomsday pariah to the body of brigand.
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Latta

Stumbled upon a bug related to my translation: Can't modify colonist's passion.
It overlaps with experience gauge so when I try to click fire icon, it only affects experience but not passion.

There is a workaround though. Turn game's language to English, and than to Korean, retry Prepare Carefully, everything fine. But when I restart the game, it reverts back to its bugged form.

Can't guess what is causing it; nor whether other languages cause this too. As there is a (partial)solution, and it's not a case for English, it shouldn't be a big bug. Just annoying.

seadderkrupp

Deleted - nvmd:) found it was easier to remove Glittertech and that sorted all the problems.

Rasip

Quote from: EdB on September 21, 2014, 12:30:45 PM

- Changed the "clear skills" button to behave like a "reset skills" button.
   It now resets skill values and passions to their original values, instead
   of setting everything to zero.  Changed the button icon to reflect the
   change in behavior.

Any chance of this chance being undone?

EdB

Quote from: Rasip on February 24, 2015, 05:43:25 PM

change in behavior.

Do you mean you want me to add the "set everything to zero" button back in?  I can probably fit both buttons in there.

shhfiftyfive

Quote from: EdB on February 24, 2015, 11:08:09 PM
Quote from: Rasip on February 24, 2015, 05:43:25 PM

change in behavior.

Do you mean you want me to add the "set everything to zero" button back in?  I can probably fit both buttons in there.
both would be fine. i used the old button's function. at the moment i have to do it manually.

Adeelos

The only complaint I have about this is the name limitations on backstories, as I'm not really sure I understand why they even exist. I'm sure it's something like the body types, but I really feel there should be some work-arounds on this. I think the thing that bothers me most is there is no way to tell 100% what the correct name should be for the character other than a first name, and often times that's meaningless without a last name.

Is there any way to at least make the name randomizer only select from names valid to the backstory? I feel like that could vastly alleviate the issue if possible.

EdB

Quote from: Adeelos on February 26, 2015, 08:48:26 PM
The only complaint I have about this is the name limitations on backstories, as I'm not really sure I understand why they even exist. I'm sure it's something like the body types, but I really feel there should be some work-arounds on this. I think the thing that bothers me most is there is no way to tell 100% what the correct name should be for the character other than a first name, and often times that's meaningless without a last name.

Is there any way to at least make the name randomizer only select from names valid to the backstory? I feel like that could vastly alleviate the issue if possible.

That's really just a warning to let you know that the name you choose might not match the name in the backstory.  You can choose whatever name you want.

Some of the backstories are written in a way that names and genders can be swapped in to change the text to match what you've chosen.  But some of them are hard-coded to a specific name and/or gender.  The ones that are like that are generally custom backstories that were a kickstarter reward.

It's possible for me to rewrite all of those backstories to make them flexible, but it's a lot of maintenance that would need to be redone with every alpha release, and it just doesn't seem worth it right now.  Again, it's just warning.  It doesn't prevent you from choosing whatever name that you want.

Sorrow

I'm having issues getting this mod to work.  I have used it before in Alpha 8 and it worked fine.  It's located in the mods folder and when I open the game it is shown as active in the Mods option.  When I go to create a new colony it does not have the button to prepare carefully on the character creation screen.  I'm wondering if perhaps its incompatible with the latest build?  I just installed the newest version of Rimworld which is version 0.9.727

shhfiftyfive

Quote from: Sorrow on February 27, 2015, 12:57:59 PM
I'm having issues getting this mod to work.  I have used it before in Alpha 8 and it worked fine.  It's located in the mods folder and when I open the game it is shown as active in the Mods option.  When I go to create a new colony it does not have the button to prepare carefully on the character creation screen.  I'm wondering if perhaps its incompatible with the latest build?  I just installed the newest version of Rimworld which is version 0.9.727
make sure the folder you pasted into the mods folder doesn't have a subfolder that is the one that actually belongs in the mods folder.

Sorrow

Yep completely forgot about the folder within the folder.  The issue is resolved.  Thanx for posting! :)

MsMeiriona

Quote from: Dragoon on February 22, 2015, 04:50:26 PM
Quote from: MsMeiriona on February 22, 2015, 04:38:11 PM
Any chance of adding an info button/hover over stats on resources? I'd like to have a better idea precisely what weapons I'm giving them, and the wiki isn't up to date.

Rick click on them.
And now I realise that while this works on the resources page, there is no way to tell the stats on the body parts in colonist creation. *dies*
So close to my micromanaging dreams.