[1.0] EdB Prepare Carefully - v1.0.13 (28 Jul 2019)

Started by EdB, September 21, 2014, 12:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NihilRex

Quote from: EdB on September 14, 2015, 09:03:18 PM
Quote from: NihilRex on September 14, 2015, 12:47:19 PM
Speaking of totally awesome imbalanced starts, is the 10 starting spawns limit hardcoded into this mod, or the game?

This is a limit of the mod.   10 is an arbitrary number that I picked due to the limitations of the tabbed user interface along the top--at some point, the tabs get so small that you can't read the names.  I could probably increase that limit by one or two, but to remove the limit entirely, I'd need to rewrite the tab interface to handle it--and really, rewriting that UI widget is not something that I'm eager to do.

Fully understandable, I just was plotting a NewGame+ type series, and wanted to check at the outset, since I tend to accumulate pawns...

Traj

First let me say (like everyone else) awesome mod! Have you thought about making default settings. Where we as the end user didnt have to try to figure out if we were playing to easy or to hard for our skill level. Maybe some simple UI button (i say that because I am a non-modder and every mod is as easy as pie, right?) that preset the points for our skill level.

While I usually play around 15-18K points I dont know what a true "normal" start is (seems very random... is it based on map, terrain, etc?)

Something like:

Hard: 8,000 points
Normal: 16,000 points
Easy: 25,000 points
Third Grade Level: 33,000 Points

EdB

Quote from: WilliamKids on September 13, 2015, 09:43:39 PM
Absolutely love the mod, the only one thing is, isn't it a little OP that I can decide to start without much ressources (sacrificing silver, wood, steel even meals if I want to) to give all of my colonists burning passions in every skills without busting the no extra points limit? To maximise the number of burning passions your colonist have you can sacrifice initial ressources which are not really hard to get back and this does feel a bit unbalanced. I know it's a hard balancing issue because how can you rightfully decide of how many burning passions should be allowed per colonist but I just thought i would let you know if you weren't already aware of it.

I've actually spent a lot of time try to figure out what's a fair value for the passions, because I agree that it feels a little off the way that it is now.  It's really difficult to balance it correctly.  The vanilla game calculates a market value for each colonist, but it does not factor in passions (something to keep in mind when buying from pirate merchants).  I really wish it did--it would provide some guidance on what the fair value really is.

It's tough to balance because the number of passions for the random colonists that you start with varies wildly.  Sometimes, each of your colonists will have 1 or 2 minor passions.  Sometimes you'll get a colonist with 6 minor passions and 2 or 3 burning passions.  So in reality, that starting group can be pretty unbalanced from game to game.  This works fine for the emergent storytelling goals of the vanilla game, but it doesn't work as well if you're looking for a balanced start.

I've sort of given up on trying to solve the problem for now, but I might revisit it in the future.

EdB

Quote from: FMJ Penguin on September 14, 2015, 07:30:15 AM
Quote from: akiceabear on September 14, 2015, 06:41:25 AM
One possible solution is to have two types of points - some that can only be allocated to items (based on the default item loadout) and others that can only allocated to pawns, based on the starting stats of your random pawns.

Yeah, EdB aint keen on that idea though. Likes them being part of the same point pool I guess. Which is understandable considering the mod is alot about choice.

I don't necessarily think this is a bad idea, but for me, I always liked the idea that I'd start with fewer resources so that I could add an extra colonist or two--that you could make that type of trade-off when deciding on your starting group.  Using the split-points approach, I'm not sure you could afford extra colonists.

FMJ Penguin

Whatever the vanilla game does to figure point/stat/pp allocations is totally borked imo. Even if your mod was literally nothing but up/down arrows for stats I'd still use it cuzz some of the rng from vanilla is just hilarious. Swear over half my dudes are professional animal trainers...... not to mention vanilla seems more cheaty than ever in 12 when randomizing. Dudes with like 12+ passion points and +10 in half dozen things.... no thanks.

Bits & bobs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/buuxpswcu9rzh3o/AABlRN4f2E4UNfDY8a_RoA6Ea?dl=0 All open source so sell it to Adolf for a new pair of sneaks if you like.
"Curious.... How many credit hours does it take tell you can make a comment like that without laughing uncontrollably at yourself?"

Dragoon

Quote from: FMJ Penguin on September 18, 2015, 06:47:25 AM
Swear over half my dudes are professional animal trainers...... not to mention vanilla seems more cheaty than ever in 12 when randomizing. Dudes with like 12+ passion points and +10 in half dozen things.... no thanks.

The animal training is new. Which is why it's like that. As the for the dudes with +12/10 in half a dozen things what are you on about? I have never seen that happen maybe in 1 or 2 skills but half a dozen? Also when they have that many points in a skill level(s) there are skills certainly disabled. Also there are 3 levels of passion burning,minor,nonexistent. Those aren't passion points those are skill levels.
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

FMJ Penguin

Quote from: Dragoon on September 18, 2015, 12:23:29 PM
Swear over half my dudes are professional animal trainers...... not to mention vanilla seems more cheaty than ever in 12 when randomizing. Dudes with like 12+ passion points and +10 in half dozen things.... no thanks.

The animal training is new. Which is why it's like that. As the for the dudes with +12/10 in half a dozen things what are you on about? I have never seen that happen maybe in 1 or 2 skills but half a dozen? Also when they have that many points in a skill level(s) there are skills certainly disabled. Also there are 3 levels of passion burning,minor,nonexistent. Those aren't passion points those are skill levels.

Oye you're just on that like flies on shit aint yaz? I meant 10 sp's not 10+12 passion points but my guess is it doesn't really matter does it? You just feel like arguing.
Bits & bobs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/buuxpswcu9rzh3o/AABlRN4f2E4UNfDY8a_RoA6Ea?dl=0 All open source so sell it to Adolf for a new pair of sneaks if you like.
"Curious.... How many credit hours does it take tell you can make a comment like that without laughing uncontrollably at yourself?"

Beathrus

Quote from: FMJ Penguin on September 18, 2015, 12:50:23 PM
Quote from: Dragoon on September 18, 2015, 12:23:29 PM

Oye you're just on that like flies on shit aint yaz? I meant 10 sp's not 10+12 passion points but my guess is it doesn't really matter does it? You just feel like arguing.

I think he meant something like this, I got this guy 'Gizmo' from some Pirates.

FMJ Penguin

Did you name that dude or is there an actual gizmo?  I've never had a gizmo   :(

Beathrus

Quote from: FMJ Penguin on September 18, 2015, 01:10:34 PM
Did you name that dude or is there an actual gizmo?  I've never had a gizmo   :(

No, I didn't name him. I got him that way.

FMJ Penguin

Quote from: Beathrus on September 18, 2015, 01:12:41 PM

Well in that case... best name EVA XD  a bit jealous honestly. My guys are always weird Korean sounding names that I can't pronounce  :P No offense Korea!

Beathrus

Quote from: FMJ Penguin on September 18, 2015, 01:18:25 PM
Quote from: Beathrus on September 18, 2015, 01:12:41 PM

Well in that case... best name EVA XD  a bit jealous honestly. My guys are always weird Korean sounding names that I can't pronounce  :P No offense Korea!

Well, I always use like Shinzys 'Pirates, Norbals' and Ish's 'Nobles' faction. And the map generation 'rekt4u'. Maybe you'll get non Korea names like that? xD

FMJ Penguin

oh wtf.... I removed those from my play-through.... those faction mods add names too the generator too?!?  :o

Beathrus

Quote from: FMJ Penguin on September 18, 2015, 01:29:37 PM
oh wtf.... I removed those from my play-through.... those faction mods add names too the generator too?!?  :o

I'unno. o.o I just like the Gear! Especially the Nobles faction stuff! But I think they do. I've seen some good names, like 'Strongstorm' or something from the Norbals one.

FMJ Penguin

Oh heck. Yeah I never seen names anything like that. Thanks! Def be putting them back in there. Had no clue....  :)