[1.0] EdB Prepare Carefully - v1.0.13 (28 Jul 2019)

Started by EdB, September 21, 2014, 12:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdB

Quote from: YokoZar on May 22, 2017, 03:32:53 AM
I had a few colonists end up with interest in skills they were incapable of.  Double check that a background change clears that.

Thanks for the bug report.  I will fix this.

EdB

I've posted a new release for Alpha 17, v0.17.0.4:
https://github.com/edbmods/EdBPrepareCarefully/releases

It includes some bug fixes and adds the ability to randomly generate pawns from other factions to add to your list of starting colonists.

Please let me know if you find any bugs.

Match

AngleWyrm

A suggestion for further advancement of Prepare Carefully

Some traits are members of mutually exclusive sets, called spectrum traits, which typically serve as a sort of five-point range of trait strength. It's just that traits are uniquely identified by the pair of both their trait defName and an additional sub-type integer [-2..2]

It would be both informative and entertaining to present and enforce that grouping to the player. It would also help prevent the player from making invalid choices during character creation.

Maybe sorting the traits list so that such traits are displayed as bundled into groups, with the option to only select one out of each set.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

EdB

Quote from: AngleWyrm on May 24, 2017, 04:27:45 AM
A suggestion for further advancement of Prepare Carefully

Some traits are members of mutually exclusive sets, called spectrum traits, which typically serve as a sort of five-point range of trait strength. It's just that traits are uniquely identified by the pair of both their trait defName and an additional sub-type integer [-2..2]

It would be both informative and entertaining to present and enforce that grouping to the player. It would also help prevent the player from making invalid choices during character creation.

Maybe sorting the traits list so that such traits are displayed as bundled into groups, with the option to only select one out of each set.

The alpha 17 version of the mod does now prevent you from selecting multiple spectrum traits in the same group.  It also prevents you from selecting conflcting traits (brawler vs. careful shooter, for example).

I'm not sure about sorting based on those groupings.  I like the idea of seeing them listed as a group, but with an alphabetical listing, you're always able to find a specific trait that you're looking for.  If you grouped them in that way, you'd lose that ability to find a known trait quickly.

AngleWyrm

Deep fried awesome with sprinkles :)

Quote from: EdB on May 24, 2017, 12:13:44 PM
I'm not sure about sorting based on those groupings.  I like the idea of seeing them listed as a group, but with an alphabetical listing, you're always able to find a specific trait that you're looking for.  If you grouped them in that way, you'd lose that ability to find a known trait quickly.

Good point; would a search box fit into that scenario? Or maybe as an option like the way we can group the in-game inventory on the left side of the screen or set them to be ungrouped. Then both perspectives are available. There's also the cost/performance ratio in terms of what's fun to do vs work vs benefits.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

ethanajb

Hey, EdB. I'm having a problem with Alien Race Framework 2.0 on Alpha 17, missing head graphic for Orassans and Leeani. Replaces with default head graphic, which is annoying, but not game-breaking. If you need logs, I'm happy to provide them, as well as talk to Erdelf (Alien Race mod author) for you. Thanks in advance!

EdB

Quote from: ethanajb on May 24, 2017, 08:28:08 PM
Hey, EdB. I'm having a problem with Alien Race Framework 2.0 on Alpha 17, missing head graphic for Orassans and Leeani. Replaces with default head graphic, which is annoying, but not game-breaking. If you need logs, I'm happy to provide them, as well as talk to Erdelf (Alien Race mod author) for you. Thanks in advance!

Yep.  Working on it.  I wasn't able to test the Alien Race Framework before it was released with Alpha 17 today, so I didn't see the problem sooner.  I'll have a fix with the next version of the mod--which should be done pretty soon.

Dryerlint

Hey edb I love your mod. This is literally the only mod which I recommend to my friends without reserve as a "must have." It is simply the best.

fukngrvn

im literally refreshing steam waiting for the A17 version to be updated. :)

EdB

Quote from: fukngrvn on May 24, 2017, 10:46:50 PM
im literally refreshing steam waiting for the A17 version to be updated. :)

It's been updated!  Please give it a try and let me know if you have any problems.

matheryn

hi friend,

I've been playing the new alpha 17 with a few mods and I've recently added yours and I feel that I have come across a bug now I removed all other mods just to make sure that it wasn't a conflicting mod and it seems that it isn't.

The issue that I've come across is that when you save a pre-set colony and then try and re-load them later it doesn't seem to want to load them IE nothing happens when you hit load.

Sorry if this has already been reported but I feel that it could be a bit of an annoyance to quite a few people who prefer to keep a set group of people for there colony or who want to restart till they get a great map with a set group.

Thanks,
Matheryn

blaxblade

Exception filling window for EdB.PrepareCarefully.Page_ConfigureStartingPawns: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at EdB.PrepareCarefully.CustomPawn.ResetCachedIncapableOf () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EdB.PrepareCarefully.CustomPawn.InitializeWithPawn (Verse.Pawn pawn) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EdB.PrepareCarefully.CustomPawn..ctor (Verse.Pawn pawn) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EdB.PrepareCarefully.PanelRelationshipsParentChild.CreateNewHiddenPawn (Gender gender) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EdB.PrepareCarefully.PanelRelationshipsParentChild..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EdB.PrepareCarefully.TabViewRelationships..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EdB.PrepareCarefully.Page_PrepareCarefully..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EdB.PrepareCarefully.Page_ConfigureStartingPawns.<DoWindowContents>b__8_2 () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RimWorld.Page.DoBottomButtons (Rect rect, System.String nextLabel, System.String midLabel, System.Action midAct, Boolean showNext) [0x0015a] in C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\RimWorld\UI\Entry\Page.cs:94
  at EdB.PrepareCarefully.Page_ConfigureStartingPawns.DoWindowContents (Rect rect) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Window+<WindowOnGUI>c__AnonStorey2C2.<>m__1B7 (Int32 x) [0x001ff] in C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\UI\Windows\Window.cs:192
Verse.Log:Error(String) (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Utility\Debug\Log\Log.cs:48)
Verse.<WindowOnGUI>c__AnonStorey2C2:<>m__1B7(Int32) (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\UI\Windows\Window.cs:196)
UnityEngine.GUI:CallWindowDelegate(WindowFunction, Int32, GUISkin, Int32, Single, Single, GUIStyle) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\IMGUI\Managed\GUI.cs:1896)

The mod don't work, i can't start prepare carefully
When i click on "prepare carefully" this message appears

EdB

Quote from: blaxblade on May 25, 2017, 05:17:49 AM
Exception filling window for EdB.PrepareCarefully.Page_ConfigureStartingPawns: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at EdB.PrepareCarefully.CustomPawn.ResetCachedIncapableOf () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EdB.PrepareCarefully.CustomPawn.InitializeWithPawn (Verse.Pawn pawn) [0x00000] in

The mod don't work, i can't start prepare carefully
When i click on "prepare carefully" this message appears

Are you sure you're playing with the latest version of Alpha 17?  This was an error that people were seeing when they were playing with an older development release.  You must be playing at least 0.17.1542, or you'll get this error.

EdB

Quote from: matheryn on May 25, 2017, 04:30:29 AM
hi friend,

I've been playing the new alpha 17 with a few mods and I've recently added yours and I feel that I have come across a bug now I removed all other mods just to make sure that it wasn't a conflicting mod and it seems that it isn't.

The issue that I've come across is that when you save a pre-set colony and then try and re-load them later it doesn't seem to want to load them IE nothing happens when you hit load.

Sorry if this has already been reported but I feel that it could be a bit of an annoyance to quite a few people who prefer to keep a set group of people for there colony or who want to restart till they get a great map with a set group.

Thanks,
Matheryn

Thanks for the bug report.  At least one other person has reported this, but I can't seem to reproduce the problem.  I'm able to save and load presets.  You've disabled all other mods?  Are you trying to load a preset that you just saved, or are you trying to load an older preset?  Which operating system are you running: Windows, Mac, Linux?  If you know how to look at the game's log file or bring up the development console, any error messages listed there would be helpful.