[1.0] EdB Prepare Carefully - v1.0.13 (28 Jul 2019)

Started by EdB, September 21, 2014, 12:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold Rimmer

EdB, you know stuff, is it possible -at all- to make a mod that works like prepare carefully,
but for the planetscreen? As an example:
1. click "select random site"
2. there is a button in the shape of a lock at the front of "terrain" in the terrain info window.
3. click that lock to enable it
4. click "select random site" again and now ONLY sites with the terrain you have locked are selected.
Same for all other "values" in that info window, but i personally would be most interested in Biome and Terrain.
I think, the game needs such a  feature just as much as it is unplayable without Prepare Carefully.
[Insert combination of words here]

Canute

Why not a world tile editor for the tile you want settle.
You can edit
- terrain type
- hill/mountain size
- temp range

but not roads and rivers.

At this way you can create an ice shelf at the middle of a desert, but who cares its rimworld all is possible. Thats an ancient ruin on a big sea that draw all the heat.

Vistha

Quote from: EdB on June 01, 2017, 10:09:27 PM
I released a new version of the mod, v0.17.1.4 that has important fixes for a handful of issues that were in the previous release.  Changes include:

• Bug fix: Sibling and some other relationships are no longer lost when saving a game.

That would explain why 2 years into the colony I haven't seen a single relative of my starting character...

I assume the fix only works on new games?

Raf's

Quote from: EdB on June 04, 2017, 02:14:05 AM
Quote from: MintyFr3sh on June 03, 2017, 11:06:19 PM
When i click the prepare carefully button nothing happens. (i have no other mods loaded)

Please double-check which version of RimWorld that you're running.  If you are running an early version of the Alpha 17 release (pre 0.17.1542), you will get this error.  Be sure that you're running the latest (currently 0.17.1557).
i had the same problem but only it scenarios i made in alpha 16, maybe try using the default one?

EdB

Quote from: Raf's on June 04, 2017, 08:16:11 AM
Quote from: EdB on June 04, 2017, 02:14:05 AM
Quote from: MintyFr3sh on June 03, 2017, 11:06:19 PM
When i click the prepare carefully button nothing happens. (i have no other mods loaded)

Please double-check which version of RimWorld that you're running.  If you are running an early version of the Alpha 17 release (pre 0.17.1542), you will get this error.  Be sure that you're running the latest (currently 0.17.1557).
i had the same problem but only it scenarios i made in alpha 16, maybe try using the default one?

Thanks for the feedback--that's something I hadn't heard before.  I'm probably not handling errors as well as I could if something goes wrong when copying over all of scenario parts into the Prepare Carefully screens.  I will take a look.

Omnicide

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it but I really enjoyed the fact that you used the Rick and Morty family for your "relationships" example. ;D

AngleWyrm

A recent post was asking about the work priority tab, and if there was any way to avoid the repetitive typing that goes into it when using saved characters.

The data fields that define those priorities for each pawn are part of the save game record. It might be do-able to store that info with saved pawns and a tab for setting up their priorities.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

SpaceDorf

Quote from: AngleWyrm on June 12, 2017, 11:33:55 AM
A recent post was asking about the work priority tab, and if there was any way to avoid the repetitive typing that goes into it when using saved characters.

The data fields that define those priorities for each pawn are part of the save game record. It might be do-able to store that info with saved pawns and a tab for setting up their priorities.

yes it might ..
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Kaltag

I don't know if anyone else has noticed it (I did a quick search and couldn't find anything), but for some reason the points change when you reload a preset. http://imgur.com/a/vnQLS notice how Jones is worth 1840 in the first picture and 1745 in the second. If this is a feature, I think it's pretty swell because if you use the point limit system, you are forced to make small changes to bring yourself up to 0 or you can have more items, and if its a bug, make it a feature ;D, though I think it would make more sense to change the max points and show the player that the maximum has changed.

khearn

It looks like there's a conflict between Prepare Carefully and Psychology. If I create a new colony and go into Prepare Carefully during the setup, all of the colonists are creates as asexual and aromantic, with Kinsey ratings of 0. If I don't go into Prepare Carefully during setup (even if it's in the mod list), the colonists don't get asexual or aromantic. I'm not 100% sure if the Kinsey rating is being effected or not. The only time I've seen it non-zero is when I haven't used Prepare Carefully, but it seems to be zero most of the time, so it might just be coincidence that I've always seen it as zero after using Prepare Carefully. But every time I've used Prepare Carefully, it has been zero, so it's distincly possible the Prepare Carefully is causing it to always be zero.

More details on my testing is in the Psychology thread at https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=34112.msg348525#msg348525

There are other reports of this issue in that thread, on the page before my post.

It looks like Psychology adds some fields to the pawns, which Prepare Carefully causes to get zeroed out.

ThrashNeon

Forgive me for not reading all 100 posts...
I'm trying to understand the interaction of Prepare Carefully and the vanilla Scenario editor.
It seems that some things are overwritten by PC, and some things are not. Is there logic to the priorities of what gets used from the scenario, and what gets used from Prepare Carefully? Example: I created a scenario and added 10x plasteel (scattered), and one charge rifle (start with). In PC > Equipment, I added one assault rifle. In the game, plasteel shows up, but charge rifle does not. It also appears that if the same resources are included in both the scenario editor and PC (example: 100 steel in scenario, 50 steel in PC), the PC AMOUNTS of that resource will override the scenario amounts -- 50 steel (not 100) will be generated on the map. Is this correct?

Same thing for animals/pets - added a wolf in scenario, removed pets from PC... result: no pets get generated.

Thanks for any info...

AngleWyrm

The scenario editor populates your currently selected stuff when starting a new game with that scenario.

So if I start a new game with a scenario that includes a couple pet forest fairies, then in Prepare Carefully my inventory will begin pre-filled with a couple of forest fairies. From there, I can then further edit my starting gear to whatever I please.

Let's say I decide I want two female forest fairies and one male forest fairy. So I make those changes and save the group, which can serve as a starting point for further adjustments when I load that group.

So later, if I start a new colony with my custom scenario, it will first begin with two fairies. If I then go on to load my previously saved group in Prepare Carefully then it will replace the people, relationships and gear with what I saved, and I'll be looking at my saved guys plus three forest fairies.

Mufflamingo

Forest fairies doesnt really match well from your account pic. ;D
Bleeeee. . . . .

Psithen

What determines if pawns get a relation on generation? Do you have to assign a hidden person to allow it? I made two siblings without assigning parents and I noticed the debug info says they're dead, I assume because they're blood related they needed to have parents due to coding reasons but I also made a stand alone pawn with no relations and they didn't generate any, alive or dead.

So you must assign a hidden pawn for it to generate anything outside of parents for siblings specifically and those must be hidden if you want them to be alive correct? (Also possibly spouses when a pawn has an offspring)

I was wondering if there's a way to generate relations that are already dead, like have a pawn with dead parents, a dead spouse, and a dead child? (Quite tragic, I know)

One final thing that is more of a flavor text issue, I noticed there's no option to make indirect relations, like step or inlaws. I could have sworn I've seen inlaws before in vanilla however. If you haven't noticed I really like making an extensive family tree.

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Mufflamingo on July 22, 2017, 09:05:08 PM
Forest fairies doesnt really match well from your account pic. ;D

That might depend on what I intend to do with them (NSFW).
Let's just say they satisfy a need ;)