[1.0] EdB Prepare Carefully - v1.0.13 (28 Jul 2019)

Started by EdB, September 21, 2014, 12:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arex

RavenOne

Can someone help me getting this mod to work and the "Prepare Carefully" button to appear?  I only have Hugslib and this mod loaded.  Order is: core->Hugslib->EDB Prepare Carefully   I'm running 18.1722 of the game.  I tried both Hugs and Prepare mods via Steam Workshop and that didn't work, then I unsubscribed both and manually installed latest versions of both into the Mod folder.   I can't get the button to appear.   Thoughts??

RavenOne

Quote from: RavenOne on January 05, 2018, 11:26:41 AM
Can someone help me getting this mod to work and the "Prepare Carefully" button to appear?  I only have Hugslib and this mod loaded.  Order is: core->Hugslib->EDB Prepare Carefully   I'm running 18.1722 of the game.  I tried both Hugs and Prepare mods via Steam Workshop and that didn't work, then I unsubscribed both and manually installed latest versions of both into the Mod folder.   I can't get the button to appear.   Thoughts??

Doh! I figured it out.  Its not until AFTER you select a landing spot that the screen shows with the button.   That might want to be a clear instruction on the 1st post for use newbs :)

Harry_Dicks

So whenever I hit the Prepare Careful button, my RimWorld crashes. I've got close to 300 mods, but I have no idea which would be causing it. Also, unfortunately, as I was building this mod list and eliminating errors, I never bothered to check if it worked until I was ready to start making my own crew. So I have no idea what messed it up along the way. I've tried it near the very top, and the bottom, of my mod list. Does anyone know of any particular mods that would be messing with it? It sucks really bad, because I would trade a lot, like 40-50 mods, just to have this one working. When starting a test run, I got ultra lucky on my rerolls and got magically gifted, vampire, and werewolf (with jogger!), but I know I will pretty much never, ever get that again with random rerolls. Another thing that sucks too, it seemed like no matter where I would put Prepare Carefully, and have no errors in the log, my game still crashes when I press the button. It just takes sooooo long to try and find what mods are crashing it, because it takes very long to start, maybe close to 10 minutes. If I have to, I think I will just start turning half of the mods off, and keep halving the mod list until I can get it to work. Looks like it's gonna be another fun day of tracking down whatever's messing something else up... and the girlfriend is gone all day today too >:( Meaning I'm glad she's gone, but I hate that I will spend today bug hunting!

Canute

At first your should take a look at the error log after a crash.
Check the last entries, that maybe give a clue why it is crashed.

Hadley

Does not work with Psychology if you disable the Sexchanges. Please fix, button just does not work.

Call me Arty

Hey EdB, I love your mod, and all the things it's allowed me to do. Whether it's keeping old colonists around to struggle another day, recreate my favorite characters, or help build a new story, I love it.
I just wanted to know if it was possible to put a button somewhere - menu, mod settings, etc - to open the Prepare Carefully Menu prior to the process that is selecting a scenario, loading a world, selecting a tile, and then going into PC? I'm guilty of the same thing many other players are (I just have too damn many mods) and the whole process can be a pain, especially if the world fails to load and I've got to go through with the process again. If you can't, it's completely understandable! I don't know how to mod (yet) and I'm sure that you either don't have the time to do it, knowledge of how to do it, or there's just borderline no possible way to do it as of yet.

I hope your life's treating you well, and continues to.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Call me Arty on January 16, 2018, 12:56:44 AM
Hey EdB, I love your mod, and all the things it's allowed me to do. Whether it's keeping old colonists around to struggle another day, recreate my favorite characters, or help build a new story, I love it.
I just wanted to know if it was possible to put a button somewhere - menu, mod settings, etc - to open the Prepare Carefully Menu prior to the process that is selecting a scenario, loading a world, selecting a tile, and then going into PC? I'm guilty of the same thing many other players are (I just have too damn many mods) and the whole process can be a pain, especially if the world fails to load and I've got to go through with the process again. If you can't, it's completely understandable! I don't know how to mod (yet) and I'm sure that you either don't have the time to do it, knowledge of how to do it, or there's just borderline no possible way to do it as of yet.

I hope your life's treating you well, and continues to.

Thinking about this, you want the load order the be reversed? So that what you hit New Colony, the first thing you can do is choose Prepare Carefully, then do scenario, then world gen, yeah? Why not just save your "profile" of your pawns you carefully prepared before you try to launch game, so that way if it crashes, you can just reload them. It sounds like to me, that you are having an issue that there is already a solution for, you just prefer one order of the other, no?

Call me Arty

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 16, 2018, 02:53:12 AM
Thinking about this, you want the load order the be reversed? So that what you hit New Colony, the first thing you can do is choose Prepare Carefully, then do scenario, then world gen, yeah? Why not just save your "profile" of your pawns you carefully prepared before you try to launch game, so that way if it crashes, you can just reload them. It sounds like to me, that you are having an issue that there is already a solution for, you just prefer one order of the other, no?
Well, I save my pawns every time I finish working on them, the issue's when I found just the right seed with just the right tile with the right combination of my favorite stones, rivers for (modded) fishing, and a road that connects me to my favorite (modded) factions. Then, finish my work, crash. Not even PC's fault (fairly certain) and just all the other things I have loaded not playing well.
Sometimes, I just want to make a bunch of pawns like I'm playing dolls or something, and just try to see what I can come up with after digging through dozens of backstories and screwing around with all the little features. I'd just appreciate having to press fewer buttons to do it.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

fl0

maybe you got the same problem as i do. when i start a new game and roll trough the pawns till im content, i sometimes save them. it seems saving a preset of pawns causes some error. if i open edb and save a preset, clicking on the confirmation doesnt start to generate the planet. instead it closes the edb gui and im back to the regular pawn selection screen. hitting start from there causes an error (cant remember the exact phrase, something like "error while generating a map"). if i dont save a preset i never have this issue. this is everything strange i see in the logfile:

Could not generate starting map because there is no any player faction base.

Exception from asynchronous event: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Verse.Game.InitNewGame () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Root_Play.<Start>m__1 () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.LongEventHandler.RunEventFromAnotherThread (System.Action action) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at first i thought its an issue between mad skillz and edb. because i noticed in my last game, that a pawn had a low melee skill (lvl 5-ish) and around 14000 of 5000 xp. so he should have clearly leveled up looong time ago. then i remembered i fiddled with the skill levels of my pawns because i changed the starting pet from a useless one to a labrador and balanced it out with decreasing skill levels before crashlanding. the reason i write all this here is, i did "some" testing and i think edb doesnt go well with linq's psychology mod. at first i threw out a lot of mods i didnt want to use any further anyways. the list got pretty short then already. but the error still appeared. using bisection to decide what mods to turn off for the next testrun, i narrowed it down pretty fast and indeed, as soon as i disable psychology, everything works as expected. turning psychology on and saving a preset, causes a failure while generating the map.

in the end i disabled even more mods i dont want to use anymore, but still, heres a list of mods that are definitly compatible :D
HugsLib, ColonyManager, ExpandedProsthetics&OrganEngineering, WorkTab, ResearchPal, StackMerger, QualityBuilder, MedicalTab, MadSkills, ImprovedWorkbenches, EdBPrepareCarefully, ConduitDeconstruct, and AllowTool

coldcell

Hi,

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. This mod is at the top of my mod list, but when I click Prepare Carefully in the spawn creation, it does nothing. I've used previously and everything was good. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Nvm found the problem. The mod wouldn't work with Psychology enabled somehow.

Canute

At first just try to delete the old mod folder, and unzip the "EdBPrepareCarefully-0.18.2.zip" again into mods, just be sure you have the latest, and no old files.
Or when you use steam, unsubscribe and resubscribe so the old get deleted.

If that don't help we need more info.
If you got hugslib installed, use the "share log" button at the error window and post the link.

coldcell

Quote from: Canute on January 20, 2018, 09:35:17 AM
At first just try to delete the old mod folder, and unzip the "EdBPrepareCarefully-0.18.2.zip" again into mods, just be sure you have the latest, and no old files.
Or when you use steam, unsubscribe and resubscribe so the old get deleted.

If that don't help we need more info.
If you got hugslib installed, use the "share log" button at the error window and post the link.

There is no error when I click Prepare Carefully. The button is there, but it just doesn't do anything with Psychology enabled. With Psychology disabled, it works fine.

This is the error log I get when starting up the game: https://gist.github.com/0af2dafcfd9b1adf1b925b5f3dfe2c7a

My current active mods are: Core, Hugslib, ModSync, ModSwitch, Prepare Carefully, Psychology.

Edit: For testing purposes, I renamed my current Mods folder, create a new Mods folder with Core, then unzipped Hugslib, Prepare Carefully and Psychology (all latest versions) again. I'm still having trouble that the Prepare Carefully button isn't working with Psychology enabled.

wwWraith

Quote from: coldcell on January 20, 2018, 09:24:15 AM
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. This mod is at the top of my mod list, but when I click Prepare Carefully in the spawn creation, it does nothing. I've used previously and everything was good. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Nvm found the problem. The mod wouldn't work with Psychology enabled somehow.

It's caused not by Psychology as a whole but if you are using it with disabled sexuality changes. I think you can enable it before generating a map and then disable if you don't want it.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=34112.msg387735#msg387735
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

coldcell

Quote from: wwWraith on January 20, 2018, 10:40:30 AM
Quote from: coldcell on January 20, 2018, 09:24:15 AM

It's caused not by Psychology as a whole but if you are using it with disabled sexuality changes. I think you can enable it before generating a map and then disable if you don't want it.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=34112.msg387735#msg387735

Wow you're right.. How did you figure it out?! Thanks mate...