[1.0] EdB Prepare Carefully - v1.0.13 (28 Jul 2019)

Started by EdB, September 21, 2014, 12:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruisuki

Im running Prepare carefully but the descriptions of some of the backstories still use gendered terms, (he/she when Im creating a specific male or female colonist) others use names, or set things into the backstory, (that they have a wife for example) is there any way to remove this? Or change the description with prepare carefully?

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Ruisuki on February 12, 2018, 05:26:00 AM
Im running Prepare carefully but the descriptions of some of the backstories still use gendered terms, (he/she when Im creating a specific male or female colonist) others use names, or set things into the backstory, (that they have a wife for example) is there any way to remove this? Or change the description with prepare carefully?

You can try Editable Backstories. The things is with Prepare Carefully, is it will overwrite any restrictions that a race or pawn might have on backstories, in other words you are able to select from the backstories that are meant for only a specific pawn with a specific name and/or gender. This means you could have something like an orassan with an android's backstory. So when those backstories were made and formatted, they were not set up to be used with pawns with different names or different genders. What you could do, is see how a backstory is setup in the xml that can be applied to any pawns, and then use these clues to modify the "non generic" or "gender specific" backstories that you want to modify to your liking.

Ruisuki

That makes sense. Ill look into backstories thanks.
---
is there any way to make sure other custom characters show up during events, or as part of other factions mid game? I want to have all 8 of my people within my colonies but only want to start with 3-4 and recruit the others over time.

Harry_Dicks

Really not sure how you would go about that, but you could do this. When you capture your new colonists, and you want them to be one of "your people" that you created. With the mod Change Dresser (one of Kiame's mods and I highly recommend all of them) you can change the appearance of your pawns. You could also change their backstory too with Editable Backstories, I believe, but I haven't tried this myself so I don't know how it works for pawns already in a game. You could also rename them as well. So you could at least rename, and make them look how you want. I think with dev mode too you can add/remove traits if you want to. So you might have to do a little "cheating" but it is up to you to restrain yourself and not ruin the game :P

Ruisuki

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 14, 2018, 01:14:16 AM
Really not sure how you would go about that, but you could do this. When you capture your new colonists, and you want them to be one of "your people" that you created. With the mod Change Dresser (one of Kiame's mods and I highly recommend all of them) you can change the appearance of your pawns. You could also change their backstory too with Editable Backstories, I believe, but I haven't tried this myself so I don't know how it works for pawns already in a game. You could also rename them as well. So you could at least rename, and make them look how you want. I think with dev mode too you can add/remove traits if you want to. So you might have to do a little "cheating" but it is up to you to restrain yourself and not ruin the game :P
Ah damn I was hoping to do recruit gradually, thats what I tend to do in other rpgs, the foremost example of this escapes me atm. Maybe one day a mod will come out to do something about this haha. I appreciate the advice though. While I liked the idea of changedresser I couldnt get over all the extra stuff it did that broke my immersion. But if 'cheating' is my only resort...

Also do you happen to know the exact process of adding/removing traits via the dev mode?

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Ruisuki on February 14, 2018, 03:30:13 AM
Also do you happen to know the exact process of adding/removing traits via the dev mode?

Honestly I haven't looked at it myself, but I am about 95% confident it's there. You'll just have to enable dev mode, and then click on of the icons at the top of the screen, one of the ones near the middle. When one of the windows pops up that has all of the actions you can do, there's something in there, probably near the middle in the 3rd column (total guess) that will let you modify a pawns attributes. I'm pretty sure when I was browsing through there the other day that I saw you could create new relationships as well. So you could make the new person you recruit a long lost family member, or whatever. I also think you can even make familial connections that would normally be impossible. That's why I'm pretty sure there should be one for traits, too. Worst case scenario, once you get your new pawns recruited into your colony, ten you save the game, and you can go in and edit in the traits into the save game file, which really isn't too difficult. Definitely try yourself, but if you get stuck, I can help you.

The_Mild

I don't know if you have ever answered or heard this before but I cant seem to set up family relationships between alien races, I can set relationships like bonds or lovers, but for some reason not family

TryB4Buy

I realize this mod has been around for 4 years and that OP replied last 7 pages ago. All that is great. But I searched for balance specifically around "max" and "20" to see if anyone else realized how powerful pawns would be when they can be guaranteed to start at with a max of 20 in any particular skill. I also realize that skills lose XP in vanilla, but this is rather often patched away for users who use mods. Lastly, I know that the early days of the mod were known to not necessarily balanced.

I did not see anything in the first post so I'll ask some of the regulars like HD in addition to EdB if the B18 version is considered "finished" where balance is concerned. Are passions/items/skill allocation generally rated in good proportionate worth for any two things the mod compares?

If yes, I'd like to draw people's attention to how skill points seem to have exponential returns the further along you are into building a super colonist. If no, I'd like to ask what the difficulties are currently, in hopes of helping EdB solve them from a balancing standpoint (all the technical stuff I leave to him).

Ikazuchi00

Why does the hidden characters i set as hidden ends are always dead when i check their relationships with dev mode?

Tridentviper

Sometimes when I take too long to edit in prepare carefully there will be an error in generating the map. Anyway to fix this? (Well, this is not a huge issue since what I do is after fully editting my pawns and items, I save it as a preset then ho back to main menu. Start again by loading the preset then done. But I kinda just want to reduce the hassle.)

Brunohenry1

i have a bug,i have a lot of mods (compatible with EDB) and everything was working perfectly but when i try clicking the "Prepare Carefully" it doesn't work,it clicks but nothing happens.
aeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiouaeiou

Canute

Brunohenry1,
beside the Lord of the Rim's mod, all other races and mod i used so far (nearly anything from the forum beside CE and Psychology) worked fine with PC.
Try to move PC up at the modlist or at the bottom and check if it helps.
But currently you can't await any update or responce from the modauthor, he retired from Rimworld.

Walkaboutout

You know, I don't think it's fair to claim EdB has retired from modding in Rimworld. He showed up during beta 18 to update his mod, so its entirely possible that he will show up once 1.0 is out (and not as an opt in beta branch), and update this again.

With that said, I don't know that anymore than anyone else who says either way. I would just like to add my voice here though that I much like this mod, and hope to see it updated. If not by EdB, there must be someone out there with enough knowledge to perhaps update this; the source code is available for download, afterall.

Here's hoping!

Golden

Kiame

For anyone who can't play without this great mod here's a totally unofficial version of PrepareCarefully for 1.0.

https://github.com/KiameV/EdBPrepareCarefully/releases/download/unofficial/EdBPrepareCarefully-unofficial.zip

I am not going to be supporting this fully and I'm sure there are bugs scattered throughout.
There is a bug that if a pawn is added to the default starting roster it will prevent the game from starting due to errors - to avoid, don't add any pawns with this unofficial 1.0 version of prepare carefully (3 pawns for crash land, 5 for tribal, 1 for rich dude, etc)

Edb as soon as you mention you're updating this for 1.0 or you would like me to remove this mod say so and I will remove it.