[1.0] EdB Prepare Carefully - v1.0.13 (28 Jul 2019)

Started by EdB, September 21, 2014, 12:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skullywag

check you havent got the mod in a folder in a folder, so mods/modname/files not mods/modname/modname/files..
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

DornColonies

Quote from: skullywag on October 14, 2014, 03:25:33 PM
check you havent got the mod in a folder in a folder, so mods/modname/files not mods/modname/modname/files..

Already checked that a couple of times, appears not to be.

EDIT: Just redid my download, mods, and the like and it suddenly worked... Ah well, alls well that ends well.

EdB

Quote from: DornColonies on October 14, 2014, 03:22:51 PM
Now I add the mods into the folder, start the game, use the mods tab to check them in... Then nothing happens.

Sorry that you had trouble getting it working.  This does happen for some people.  I wish I could figure out why.  I may try to add some additional logging to the console so that when it happens, there's a little more information.

wsensor

It might be how they unzip the mod archive. The game does not read custom folders inside other folders.
IE: A2B folder inside another folder named A2B it will ignore the inner folder.

Matthiasagreen

So is it possible that changing the colonist age is only superficially changing it so it appears as such in game? I tend to start all my colonists young so I don't have to worry about age problems. However, my last game ended up giving my character cataracts at age 16. I don't remember what the colonists age was before I changed it, but I am thinking the cataracts ignored my age change and gave it the catacts based off of what it originally was. Not a big deal.; just thought you would like to know.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Igabod

I've noticed a few colonists getting cataracts at very young ages before. Never really thought it might be a result of this mod. Of course I've only played a couple games without this mod enabled because it wasn't updated yet.

TheSilencedScream

Cataracts can happen semi-young. Had a 30 year old get them, before ever using this mod. Not sure just how young it can happen, though.
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

stingerxxx

Just have to start by saying that this is an amazing mod, it really opens up possibilities with arranging the game that you want to play in the way you want to play. Great addition to the game. I've been running it with your interface, TTM, PA (they're not bundled atm, yet) and a few other mods, and it really allows the game to take off and utilize the potential of the engine and the environment that RimWorld has.

One simple request that I have, not important by any means, is a simple UI edit. I once wanted to start off 10 colonists with power armor and 20 points in everything, then go to Dev mode, enable god mode, build a superb fortress complete with mortars, turrets, everything you can imagine. It was a fun game when I sent wave after wave after wave into my fortress and watched my 10 super-soldiers handle it all with ease.... Until a few spawns at the same time sent mechanoids crashing into the middle of my mortar room and the surrounding area. That didn't end too well xD

What I propose is a edit that allows you to allocate the number of points that you wish to each skill without having to click one point at a time. 20 in each skill x10 colonists made that setup take a LONG time to do xD. Maybe a text box that appears if you click on the bar rather then the + and - buttons, or a box next to the + that allows you to increase x10 instead of x1. Just a random suggestion ^.^

EdB

Quote from: stingerxxx on October 16, 2014, 03:18:57 PM
...What I propose is a edit that allows you to allocate the number of points that you wish to each skill without having to click one point at a time. 20 in each skill x10 colonists made that setup take a LONG time to do xD. Maybe a text box that appears if you click on the bar rather then the + and - buttons, or a box next to the + that allows you to increase x10 instead of x1. Just a random suggestion ^.^

Doing something about this has been on my to-do list for awhile, but I keep putting it off in favor of other things.  The way I'll probably address this is to make it so that you can click (or click-and-drag) on the skill bar and have it automatically set the value to match where you click.

EdB

Quote from: Matthiasagreen on October 16, 2014, 09:45:41 AM
So is it possible that changing the colonist age is only superficially changing it so it appears as such in game?

Yes, this is a bug.  I don't think it affects anything after the game starts, but your colonist could get stuck with cataracts because of the original age before you change it.  I'll fix this.

Kolljak

Quote from: TheSilencedScream on October 16, 2014, 11:48:32 AM
Cataracts can happen semi-young. Had a 30 year old get them, before ever using this mod. Not sure just how young it can happen, though.

15 in this game in real life i have on in my right eye im 26.

Dragoon

why do we start with random points? (ive tested by loading and the points we get are randomized)
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Tsilliev

Quote from: Dragoon on October 17, 2014, 02:55:48 AM
why do we start with random points? (ive tested by loading and the points we get are randomized)

And I also think that maybe too much points are given?
I can actually make 20 points in 3 skills. It would be nice to have like 10 points for all skills, in other words you put +3 points in growing, and you have 7 left for another skill, so you can have a Master grower if you put all 10 in growing, master miner and so on, not having 1 character godlike grower,miner,constructor, another one godlike shooter, melee,surgeon and third one godlike researchers,social and crafter for an example,it takes out the flavor of developing a character, it is fun to make a character good in something, but not max out 1/3 of his skills from the beginning.

And also age may matter in how much points are distributed, if you have played crusader kings and you were choosing the stats of the ruler, the older he was the bigger stats you could give him, but also the faster he will die, although here in rimworld age may not change things a lot.

(dont get me wrong, I really like the mod and the idea, trying to offer some balancing ideas)

EdB

Quote from: Dragoon on October 17, 2014, 02:55:48 AM

The three starting colonists are the same three that you would get if you did not use the mod, so they are randomized in the same way.  You always get 7000 points to spend.  I decided to use the "market value" concept that was introduced in alpha 7 to determine the point value of each character.  The only additions that I made are to give point values for the number of passions and the number of traits that you add--they don't have any value otherwise, so I felt like I needed to add a value.  Besides these two exceptions, you are paying the same amount in points for everything that you would be paying in silver to a trader during the game (setting aside trading bonuses from social skills).  I prefer to use the values built into the game than to try to do a bunch of balancing on my own. 

Quote from: Tsilliev on October 17, 2014, 06:04:13 AM
And I also think that maybe too much points are given?

I chose the 7000 number by starting a bunch of games and figuring out the maximum number of points that you could get from the 3 random starting colonists.  Usually, you get about 6500 points, but some backstories give you better characters who ended up giving you about 7000.  Again, since I'm using the "market value" of the colonists, you're seeing the in-game value of those characters.  A maxed-out 20-points-in-every-skill character has a market value somewhere around 2000 silver when dealing with a trader during a game.  You could definitely make the argument that this is a little low--especially in comparison to some of the apparel--but for now, I think I've decided to leave it to the vanilla game to balance these numbers out.

Quote from: Tsilliev on October 17, 2014, 06:04:13 AM
...It would be nice to have like 10 points for all skills...

EDIT: It's unlikely that I would set a maximum number of skill points that you can allocate--I think a lot of people like to go crazy and give a lot of skill points--but I would consider making skills points beyond a certain allocation cost most.  In the vanilla game, each colonist gets 3 skill points for each skill, adjusted by backstory and trait bonuses and penalties.  So each colonist starts with 33 skill points allocated.  Anything beyond that is more than you would get in the vanilla game, so you could adjust the cost accordingly.  I'm not sure that I'll change the behavior, but it's something that I would consider.

Demonlord091

After switching off every mod I have and starting them up again one at a time, I seem to have found a compatibility issue between this mod and JuliaEllie's Recipe Nurse mod/ tool located here - https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6640.0.

If you activate the Nurse mod/tool while your Prepare Carefully mod is activated the button for body part harvesting/ replacement stops working.
You can poke it for hours and all it will do is lag the game for a few seconds each time.
Oddly enough there are no Error messages in the logs saying what exactly is going wrong, just the experience itself.

Both are still very fun/ useful mods though.