[1.0] EdB Prepare Carefully - v1.0.13 (28 Jul 2019)

Started by EdB, September 21, 2014, 12:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nommy

I love this mod! It takes the most tedious aspect of starting a new game away and replaces it with pure awesomeness! Especially the save features!

I just wish there was a more controllable way of generating maps, so you could specify the factions and influence the the terrain and be able to regenerate quickly to find a map you like. I guess I should put that in suggestions, but your mods do seem to have a tendency for tedium destruction, and I was already typing here, so you know.. Anyway, thanks for this!

FridayBiology

I'm having an issue getting this to work,

> i've downloaded and unzipped into /Mods folder
> loaded rimworld, created new world and colony though not seeing prepare button.
> exited and loaded rimworld, un clicked and re clicked mods ingame, exited rimworld
> loaded rimworld, mod still clicked, started new world and colony. still no button.

what have i missed?
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

Raufgar

Quote from: Feirfec on November 17, 2014, 11:36:47 PM

> loaded rimworld, created new world and colony though not seeing prepare button.
> exited and loaded rimworld, un clicked and re clicked mods ingame, exited rimworld
> loaded rimworld, mod still clicked, started new world and colony. still no button.

what have i missed?

Load Mod -> Create New Colony -> Choose Storyteller -> Choose location on World Map -> Next -> At the colonist setup page, look at the bottom middle of the screen for the Prepare Carefully button.
Don't be afraid to voice your opinions...

The worse thing that can happen to you is that you'll get your ass capped.

EdB

Quote from: Feirfec on November 17, 2014, 11:36:47 PM

what have i missed?

Double-check two things.  Make sure that when you extracted the zip, that you didn't end up with two nested mod folders instead of one.  In other words, you want Mods/EdBPrepareCarefully, not Mods/EdBPrepareCarefully/EdBPrepareCarefully.  This is the most common cause of this problem.  Also make sure that you don't rename the mod folder.  It will not work if you rename it.

thisischrys

I made a colonist with 20 skill in everything yet ingame he has 17 on everything. Is this a feature?

Matthiasagreen

Quote from: thisischrys on November 18, 2014, 11:53:42 AM
I made a colonist with 20 skill in everything yet ingame he has 17 on everything. Is this a feature?

It is probably skill decay. The skills don't stay as good as they start unless used frequently. How long after you started did you notice the difference?
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

EdB

Quote from: Matthiasagreen on November 18, 2014, 01:03:09 PM
Quote from: thisischrys on November 18, 2014, 11:53:42 AM

It is probably skill decay. The skills don't stay as good as they start unless used frequently. How long after you started did you notice the difference?

Yes.  Very likely that it's skill decay which will start immediately when the games starts.

Minus

I never psoted here to tell you how much I love this mod! I can no logner iamgine playing RIM without it! I also love that it seamlessly works with my custom bionics since you added that option! You're an amazing modder, and have made such incredible improvments to this game. I seriously hope to see your mods become part of the vanilla game in future! Thank you!

Our cybernetic hearts mean we care more!
Mods: Extended Surgery and Bionics, Brain Surgery, Medical XP Balance

Vas

I'd like another option on this.  Per Colonist Points.  So you can disable "Use Points" (Renamed to Global Points), and enable "Per Colonist Points".  This'd let you set up colonists and such in a fair even way, rather than one colonist having 3000 points and 2 others having 500.

The most I've seen in a randomly generated colonist is 1295 points so far,  Most average 1000, some go as low as 800.  So, I'd say lock the points at 1300?  Showing both overall points used, and then below that "Colonist: 1295 points".  Another thing, I think it'd be good if you could make the points colorized for colonists.  Maybe even add a small text legend at the bottom.  900 and less, green.  901 - 1100 yellow, 1101+ red.
Green = a normal colonist, someone not too skilled, and would make for good game play.
Yellow = a skilled colonist, someone who would make gameplay easier than normal.
Red = Very skilled colonist, someone who would unbalance the game play.
Bolded Red = Anything over 1300, the normal limit.  Extremely skilled, would most definitely unbalance game play.

From what I can see, is you use 7000 points total.  So 3 colonists at 1300 points, would leave 3100 points for supplies, and normal default supplies takes 3690 points.  Hmm.  So I guess the person would have to not max out their colonists if they want normal supplies or more.  :P  So really, 3 yellow colonists would balance out the points almost perfectly.  That's at the max end of the yellow.  I just say allow up to 1300 because on occasion, rare occasion, one colonist comes up that takes 1295 (highest I've seen).

Also might be nice if you had one more point system for the supplies part, set at 3700 points.  If you checkbox all of these, it puts the colonist points and then the supplies points, with a large underline under that and below that line, the total points used / points remaining.
I've prepared two screenshots so far,
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/30270697/tempimages/prepcarepoints.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/30270697/tempimages/prepcarepoints2.png
Neither takes into account the recent idea of supply points.  :P  Only the checkbox part.  It's just a rough draft.  I can't draw a straight line if my life depended on it.  :P

What do you think?  Allow going over would let you start the game if you have gone over any of your limits.  If it is unchecked, you can't start the game till you go back under the limit on whichever things you've gone over on.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Rikiki

@Vas: that's a good point system you have imagined here!
I have 2 small remarks:

• Change the colors: games usually use green for easy and blossom red for hard mode
  • Sometimes it is fun to have "deep-space M&Co. miners" or "veteran commandos" dropped on the planet to implant a mining colony/outpost with only survival packs/medicine and a good gun, so this leads to a high colonists points count/low equipment points count

@Edb: would you consider adding a "research screen" wich allows you to spend some points to unlock researches (they are either marked as finished at startup or you set their research time to 1 in the database)?

Minus

Quote from: Vas on November 19, 2014, 11:09:58 PMLots of text
Why would the mod creator add a bunch of limits like that? This mod is all about taking away limits. If you want to play in this way, you can, you have that ability. I don't want it imposed on me.
I like that I can start off with a single colonist that's very skilled, trying to make it all on his own. Or start off with several useless guys. To my surprise, 4 unskilled colonists are better than 1 lvl20 one.

Our cybernetic hearts mean we care more!
Mods: Extended Surgery and Bionics, Brain Surgery, Medical XP Balance

Vas

Minus, there are technically already limits.  And no, this mod isn't about removing limits, it's about letting you customize your startup.

My suggestions are basically all optional stuff that can help you create colonists that remain balanced within gameplay even up to their 'maximum' of 1300 points.  I proposed these limits to help in character creation, so you don't wonder if you added too much or something and thought you didn't because the points system still says you have 500 left over, when really your other two are 800 pointers and you made your main one a 2500 pointer.

There is even an option, in my suggestions, that turns on or off a forced point system, which will stop you from playing the game if one of your stats has gone over the point limits.

Now that I think about it, you could go one step further, and add a 3rd click option to the green/red checkmark/X.  A yellow circle with yellow checkmark inside that indicates the option is turned on, but will not be forced when you click start.  Green checkmark would error if you try to start when over your limit in that specified field.  Still would need one that takes all into account as well, for a total of 7000 points, otherwise, each field would only count for it's self, so you could have 20 colonists so long as each one didn't go over 1300 points if you had checkmarked only the colonist point thing.

Anyhow, bedtime.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Kelian

Quote from: EdB on November 13, 2014, 08:53:25 PM
Quote from: Kelian on November 13, 2014, 07:59:46 PM
Can we get an installation guide? I just got rimworld two weeks ago, this is my first mod. How do I enable this?

Take a look at this thread:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6223.0

Thank you very much!

mastergub

Great mod !
Exactly what I was looking for ;)

The wiki is not up to date regarding Backstories.
As you pull list of childhood/adulthood stories to customize colonist, I believe you have access to all the information related to it.
Would it be possible to get it to:
- work on a colonist/team planner tool ?
- maybe update the wiki ?

Thanks.

Once again, great mod !

EdB

FYI, I've removed the mod attachment from the original post due to a forum issue that was resulting in a 404 error when trying to download.  Looks like there's something wrong with the forums that is preventing a new upload, so for the time-being, you'll need to use the dropbox link to download.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=7549.msg76056#msg76056