[1.0] EdB Prepare Carefully - v1.0.13 (28 Jul 2019)

Started by EdB, September 21, 2014, 12:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdB

Quote from: Igabod on December 16, 2014, 07:19:48 PM
you can safely ignore that warning. It's just to let you know that the backstory is one created by a player who bought into that tier of the game. It usually will have pronouns like She and He that can't be changed based upon the sex of your colonist. So you will have a male colonist with a backstory that says She in it a lot or something like that. No big bug or anything.

Quote from: Mozleron on December 16, 2014, 06:54:31 PM
How do i determine what is wrong and correct it, or is this more of a warning that I can safely ignore?

Right, you can safely ignore this.  I might rewrite the warning to make it a little more clear.  Like Igabod says, the problem is that some of the back-stories are intended to match up with a specific, unique character.  Those stories are sometimes written with a specific name and gender hard-coded into them.  I added the warning so that you wouldn't think it was a bug in the mod that the names and genders in those descriptions don't match the name and gender that you choose for your colonist.  There's no good way for me to change the descriptions to match.

EdB

Quote from: Ramsis on December 15, 2014, 11:07:11 AM
So my big request for the next major patch with this mod, is a scenario button that lets us choose from a bunch of scenarios that impacts our starting group, their resources, biome, etc.

Is it a big task, sure.... but is it one that RimWorld as a whole would enjoy, oh without a doubt.

I don't have any plans to do this.  I agree, it sounds like a really interesting feature, but you're right--it's a really big feature and too much for me to sign up for.

Quote from: Iwillbenicetou on December 16, 2014, 07:45:38 PM
...Also, how do we put bionics on a person without starting the game (now let's make an invicible soldier)

You can do this now.  Click the apparel layer category button above the colonist portrait and select "Body Parts."  You can attach whatever bionics that you want to from there.

Niknud

I am not sure if this is just a problem on my end but whenever I delete and add new colonists they spawn in naked.  Does your point system account for this? 

SimpleBear01

Just wanted to say thank you for this mod. Instead of clicking randomize over and over and over and... (You get the picture) Now I can set my people up right. It's well balanced also. Good job!

EdB

Quote from: Niknud on December 17, 2014, 12:33:47 PM
I am not sure if this is just a problem on my end but whenever I delete and add new colonists they spawn in naked.  Does your point system account for this?

The point system does try to take this into account.  In Alpha 8, whether or not colonists are wearing clothes seems to be partially tied to how cold the starting biome is.  You'll notice that sometimes you'll have as many as 1500 points available to spend and sometimes you'll have less than 500 points available--sometimes you'll even start with negative points.  This is largely due to the market value of clothing and variations that you get with what the starting colonists are wearing.

It was much harder to balance the point system with Alpha 8 because of this--and because clothing and crafted goods are generally much more expensive than uncrafted goods (especially ranged weapons).  I'm not sure that it feels as balanced as it felt in Alpha 7.  I consider what's there now as a first pass that I may adjust later.  Ultimately, I feel like some of that balancing needs to happen in the vanilla game, so I might just wait to see what happens with Alpha 9.

john pretzel

Edb thanks for the mods you've put here. GReat work! It really adds to the game.

I'd like to report an incompatibility I found:

If you mind checking this post, https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=7869.msg82602#msg82602 so that I don't spam the same thing. Thanks! I wasn't sure where to report this, so it will be for both.

BajtMe

That's odd.  :o I run both mods fine together. Are you sure it's not a load order problem?

Edit: Never mind me. I just read your other post again and i can't say for sure i don't have that problem, even if i haven't encountered it yet.

john pretzel

EdB

Quote from: john pretzel on December 18, 2014, 12:21:27 PM
I'd like to report an incompatibility I found:

If you mind checking this post, https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=7869.msg82602#msg82602 so that I don't spam the same thing. Thanks! I wasn't sure where to report this, so it will be for both.

Looks like Carnov put out a new release that fixes the Prepare Carefully problem (which I think was a missing color generator definition).  I should still probably try to handle that problem more gracefully in case it happens in the future.

The switched order of the character tab buttons is an issue in my Interface mod.  I change the order of those buttons, but I think I might only change it for human characters.  The Jaffa is defined as a separate race in that mod--I have to take a look at my code to remind myself what I'm doing, but I think that's why.  I'll take a look at it.

EdB

I've released a new version, 1.5.1 that includes the following:

• Rebalanced point calculations.  It feels a little better to me now, but let me know what you think.
  • Hover over the point total number to see a simple breakdown of the point costs by category.
  • Right-click on an item in the equipment and resources screen to open the info dialog for it.
  • Tweaked the way that your color selections are remembered as you browse through apparel and accompanying material selections.
  • BUGFIX: Added non-cloth materials back to the character customization options.
  • BUGFIX: Apparel without a color generator no longer crashes the character customization screen.

EdB

Did something dumb in the 1.5.1 release that made the math add up all wrong.  Fixed it in a new 1.5.2 release.

EdB

Quote from: Ramsis on December 15, 2014, 11:07:11 AM
So my big request for the next major patch with this mod, is a scenario button that lets us choose from a bunch of scenarios that impacts our starting group, their resources, biome, etc.

Just an FYI that even though I initially said that I would not be doing this, I have actually started working on this idea.  I expect to have an initial version to put out there for some feedback sometime around the new year.  I really like how it's turning out!

Andouce

Great mod and essential in my opinion. Been using for past builds and A8. Thank you for providing us with this and your other mods which I also consider an essential, EDB!

A suggestion though, not really major just a minor one. You think you could somehow link in a way for us to choose our colonists Birthdays ?

Would be a nice little addition and just add more customization.

(Everytime I start a new game, I always just manually edit the file and change them all haha)

EdB

Quote from: Andouce on December 22, 2014, 06:02:06 PM
A suggestion though, not really major just a minor one. You think you could somehow link in a way for us to choose our colonists Birthdays ?

A couple of people have asked for this.  It's something that I will look at.  It's a little unusual to me as a customization option just because months in the game don't have the same number of days as they do in the real world, so you wouldn't necessarily be able to assign your own birthday to a colonist for example, but it seems like a reasonable addition.  I just need to figure out where to put it in the user interface.

kenobi87

Hello, love the mod. Had a quick question. In the vanilla game colonists always have one or two traits and I noticed with the mod I can give my colonist 3 traits. Is the game able to handle this, like I don't know how to say this but is it safe to give my colonists 3 traits and not have any issues?

What is the 3rd trait slot for in the vanilla? (if anything)