Climate Control and Enviromental effects

Started by Psyckosama, September 22, 2014, 10:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psyckosama

I was looking at the old early build examples of the game, you know, back when it was called Eclipse Colony and I always found the Oxygen mechanic interesting. I appreciated the additional level of challenge it brought to the table. Though I can see why you got rid of it, it's kind of annoying and forces your hand somewhat. But if did give me an idea.

One that could be useful for making colonies in regions with more extreme climates more unique beyond just having the differing terrain.

That idea is climate control. The game is about survival in extreme conditions, this could add another element that would be interesting depending on your biome and could add more random events. Temperature could become something other than a little notation on the world map. It could affect the physical abilities of your colonists and their mental state. Heat waves could drain them of their energy and force them to rest more often. Or make them to consume more water (water as a resource to keep in mind would be interesting IMHO). Cold could force their metabolic rate by making them eat more to stay warm. In both cases clothing choice becomes something other than cosmetic.

In all cases being too hot or too cold could make them unhappy or even affect their health and/or happiness.

Dealing with the heat could be interesting. In hot environments you might choose to sleep during the heat of the way to get through the worst of it. In cold environments you might always have a fire near by. This would advance with technology to adding room heaters and "wall" air conditioners or even central air conditioning units to your colony at the most advanced level.

In fact it could also be used to somewhat discourage deep bunker colonies by making it so if you go too far away from an outlet (door or vented wall) that opens to the outside without something to circulate the atmosphere, the air might become stale and cause loss of happiness and health problems.

I know this is a complex suggestion, and even if you like it probably wouldn't come about any time soon, but it's maybe something to think about later on in development as the game becomes more refined.

Endoric

I am hoping for the ability to colonize worlds with toxic or no atmosphere.  Maybe make power suits or something similar that has an air supply.  Then your colony can be one one with buildings that can simulate a mars or moon colony (minus the gravity).  Even gravity can be simulated by some global modifier to walk speed, happiness, getting tired faster on heavy grav worlds,walking faster of light grav worlds ect.  Then maybe include gravity plating floors to create normal gravity and keep colonists happy with a comfortable environment.

Environmental controls would be great.  I know most of us would just use it to turn up the heat on prison cells and enjoy the show.

I am sure this is all late development stuff but it sure would be fun.