Traders need more silver or barter

Started by darkrage000, January 11, 2015, 10:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkrage000

Seriously, traders never have much more than a couple thousand silver...
so when i make a 'normal' gold sword, its valued at 12k from a 'cheap' trader, which means the normal price would be at least 20k
Problem is that no trader can ever buy it from me unless he is carrying a bunch of cybernetics to offset the price.... which never happens since a weapons trader wont carry any cyber stuff.

so it leads to the question of 'whats the point?'
Your art and weapons are worth more than any trader will ever carry making the whole aspect crafting seriously diminished.
it would be nice to see more random amounts silver from traders... or a general trader that sells and buys everything, but with limited quantities (at random) so we at least have a CHANCE to sell my art and such.

or even a bartering system where i can offer to take a lesser price for stuff they can afford
Like saying 'ok, i'll take the 2305 silver for my 50k golden sculpture just to get it out of the way'
otherwise its just clutter

TheSilencedScream

If nothing else, I definitely agree that we should be able to sell for less, possibly with a little bonus experience to social.

A general goods trader would be nice, though.
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

Malcom347

Give me a bit and I can whip up a modded trader for you if its that much of an issue.

My guess is that traders have limited cash for some obvious reasons. Silver can get you anything in the game. It reduces a lot of pressure off of your pawns for getting supplies. Low on steel? Bulk Goods Trader to save the day! It's an attempt to prevent you from acquiring some rare materials (Gold) and producing decent or better art/arms and selling them for exorbitant money so that you can just buy out the other merchants.

My suggestion, barring modding or changing the game, is to sell your Golden Sword to Who-ever will take it. (Probably Exotic and Weapons) and purchase some quantity of goods from them, IE; Lots of pistols, rifles, grenades. And continue to re-sell those to other weapon merchants. It's not perfect and you'll lose money in bartering but it's the best solution otherwise.

Diplomatti

What about having a trader just for art? Called an Art Dealer, carries more silver than other dealers becuase of the expense of art.

Malcom347

Here's a simple mod for you attached;

Black Market Trader (18k-24k)
Buys/Sells: Weapons, Armor, Slaves, Stolen Art (Expensive Art), Body-Parts

Art Dealer (25k-30k)
Buy/Sells: Art only

[attachment deleted due to age]

Listy

Quote from: Malcom347 on January 11, 2015, 12:09:35 PM
My guess is that traders have limited cash for some obvious reasons. Silver can get you anything in the game. It reduces a lot of pressure off of your pawns for getting supplies. Low on steel? Bulk Goods Trader to save the day! It's an attempt to prevent you from acquiring some rare materials (Gold) and producing decent or better art/arms and selling them for exorbitant money so that you can just buy out the other merchants.

Yeah I can see that but once the colony reaches a certain point you can just hammer traders. And that point is always going to exist.

Ahh hello Mr trader, here I've made 50 Parka's brand new, that'll be 12K please.

At which point the Dev's would decrease the cost of the parka's, and making 100 isn't that much harder.

Malcom347

It's an issue of the objective you set for yourself.

Bearing in mind that the current 'end-game' goal is to build a ship and get your colonists back to a regular inner-world planet. There's a few phases to go through:

Landing > Shelter > Sustain > Produce > Research > Escape

Now, most people probably stop at the 'Production' Phase. Base is established, food is stable, defenses are set, etc. So you produce goods to get money for luxury things. Better rooms, safer defenses, upgraded armor and weapons, etc. Everyone tries to get their colony to Last. And I think that's contrary to the sort of 'determined' goal of Escaping. So you end up producing a ton of goods and you need to off load them and it's an odd spot for sure.

milon

^ This.  I'm guilty of it too.  After putting in the time and energy, I don't want it to just unceremoniously end. So I try to make it last.  And I try to produce way to much of everything.  An ideal solution would be more variety in long-term goals.  Not sure what that would look like, though.

Coenmcj

^ Seconded, I'll try and last as long as possible, only against overwhelming odds will I pull back my remaining colonists to a ship waiting in a nearby valley.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Malcom347

In my first play-through where I made building a ship and escaping my primary goal, I was able to have 10 colonists successfully evac via ship. It... felt like a very minor accomplishment. The settlement wasn't tested by any gigantic raids and there were 0 casualties. (except for tail.  :'( )

But I had been preparing for launch. I had made a ship out of steel, loaded it with wood, medicine, weapons, food, clothes and armor. When I was all set, I realized that the ship pieces had to actually be touching... and it sort of ruined the whole feeling for me.

'What?' I said to myself, 'My colonists fly away on a gigantic tube strapped to an AI and a generator with engines?'

Late game; I'd like to see the ship building fleshed out more. I'm not entirely sure how to go about this. But I know there are modded vent systems which equalize temperature. So either using some multi-room detection like this to determine the ships worth, or another system.

It'd be neat if you got a final score based on how many people escaped (and in what condition), what material the ship was made out of, how large the ship is and all of the materials stored within it.

Some alternate scenarios could include;
>Re-paying debt for utilizing a Barons land after you crash-land. (Or he shoots you down.)
>Researching high-level cloaking tech to escape through a war-zone
>Hunting a Rare or Mythological alien or Mineral to buy your way off the planet
>A Brave New Home: Colonists decide to stay; Sustain food for x Months
>Transcendence: Man was made for so much more; Fully cyberize X colonists
>Supremacy: Eliminated the other planet's occupants completely. (Via Diplomacy, strike forces, or direct control)

darkrage000

Quote from: Malcom347 on January 12, 2015, 02:37:18 AM

>Supremacy: Eliminated the other planet's occupants completely. (Via Diplomacy, strike forces, or direct control)

ah now..  that last one  I would love to see implemented. You generated this whole planet to play on and your world is confined to this little 400x400 chunk of it and thats all...  yea.. depressing isnt it?
It would be great if you could actually get out there and make raids on other colonies and try to eliminate them or conquer them (hey, they do that to you, right?)
would expand playability immensely

I would love to see more with the mechanoids as well. maybe trade with factions of them, or such.

darkrage000

Quote from: Malcom347 on January 11, 2015, 02:49:15 PM
Here's a simple mod for you attached;

Thanks malcom, this helps a lot in cleaning up my colony and actually makes an use for my stuff.
Much appreciated