fix friendly fire please

Started by d0ntclickme, September 23, 2014, 11:43:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keylocke

Quote from: Dr. Z on September 24, 2014, 03:47:08 PM
The problem is that the AI doesn't decide to shoot at one of your own guys but the bullet misses and the path it takes can randomly lead into a friendly. And even if it would, imagine a tough fight against a bunch of raiders and your guys would refuse to shoot because they could hit a friendly. The raiders would shoot at you while you are busy positioning your people so all of them can shoot which would lead to your men to be shot down.

^ agree with this.

also, i don't want to remove friendly fire completely. otherwise, i'll just spam grenades while sending in my melee for stun-lock, etc.. removing friendly fire just leads to so many exploits.

as for hunting, i only use one hunter at a time, and i just rotate my hunters based on who has the lowest shooting skill. (this hopefully helps trains them enough to be useful for battle)

Dr. Z

Quote from: Anarak on September 24, 2014, 04:03:16 PM
True, but from my experience its much easier to deal with positioning than dealing with friendly fire.
Another compromise would be allowing to override or avoid FF with a button toggle. If its on, you'd get a red X icon over your pawn if there's another one of you guys in the front, so you can move him. By overriding you'd accept the consequences/benefits of the risk

(sorry for the double post)

The point is, that you would have to reposition them while the raiders are shooting at you, because as long as they are not there, you have no target and the game can't tell you if your guys going to FF. And repositioning while fighting can mean game over because the AI knows to shoot at the persons without cover. This thought just gave me the idea of a covering fire function, but I will open another threat for it.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Darth Fool

I don't think that the shooters should stop shooting because someone is in the way.  I think it would be better to have non combatants (those not drafted) automagically avoid moving into the cones of fire of anyone who is in combat or firing a weapon(including  non-drafted hunters).  This would prevent odd effects like haulers running off to pick up something just beyond where pirates just landed.  It could be extended to animals so that packs of Muffalo would move away from the guy firing at them.  It would then even be possible to herd Muffalo in this fashion...

Johnny Masters

I partially agree/disagree, IMO getting someone shot at the back by a friend is just as bad as moving out of cover while re-positioning. But everyone has its particular experiences and play styles.

Anyway, i was addressing hunting in particular, as per OP thread, i suggested a few other things as well, feel free to comment.

OldVamp

Friendly fire is my biggest hair puller currently  :'( .
I send out a hunting party and come back with more injuries than meat.
Or something is inside the base and people walk into the fire to fix building hit by stray bullets.
It may be working as intended, but
what was intended is not working.

Eleazar

Quote from: Darth Fool on September 25, 2014, 11:21:58 AM
I don't think that the shooters should stop shooting because someone is in the way.  I think it would be better to have non combatants (those not drafted) automagically avoid moving into the cones of fire of anyone who is in combat or firing a weapon...

That would be more ideal, but I think it would also be more complicated to implement and computationally expensive. (I have no idea if it would be noticeably so).

For what it is worth hunting and drafted combat are very different things. As you imply, I think that pawns don't have to operate under exactly the same rules in each situation.  This makes sense in a simulation and game mechanic perspective.

Professor Cupcake

Not a bug.
Be more careful next time.

Although the hunting logic is something that really needs some tweaking...

Eleazar

Quote from: Professor Cupcake on January 11, 2015, 10:02:28 AM
Not a bug.
Be more careful next time.

Although the hunting logic is something that really needs some tweaking...

This is the suggestions subforum-- nobody is claiming friendly fire is a bug.

And this may be over complicated, but I would find friendly fire more understandable from pawns with really bad shooting skills.

DarknessEyes

This is not a bug? If this is not a bug its bad AI...

If you go hunting will you walk between another hunter and the prey?

Most of my guys injuries happen while hunting...
De Surgeries
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=18976.0
Adds 26 new surgeries to Rimworld.

Enjoyment

It's not a challange- or hardcore-survival thing. It's pathfinding issue. The problem that the haulers don't perceive hunters as a threat. But they must. There's must be a zone between hunter and his target (and military conflicts too) that will have very very low priority to route a path. Only If there's no other ways... And this can resolve most of problems with friendly-fire.

And the hunters pathfinding is wierd sometimes too - a hunter with m24 at zone with many small rocks could take his imaginary ideal position for shooting for ages. I once had a guy who died from starvation, while didn't even single shot to his furious enemy - a boomrat. Thats was funny. But that's sad at the same time. Only manual hunting by now.
English is neither my native lang nor my strong side...

Shinzy

one hunter with a shotgun makes it very unlikely to give you any casualties on your own colonees. Especially if you make sure not to hunt creatures inside your base

Short range, single shot, not too long cooldown it's the perfect weapon for "safe" hunting =P

SuperCaffeineDude

It's defiantly something you currently have to organise, but once you minimise the risks (shotgun, 2 hunters, hunt away from base) it's not really an issue. Ideally I would like colonists to contemplate shots, but it sounds like an expensive process to implement.

MagnAxiom

I can't tell you how many times I have had colonist walk in front of an actively firing turret!  I've had plenty killed by hunters as well... It's just stupid... the AI SHOULDN'T have people just saunter into an active fire area... Sure, maybe there could be some perception/intelligence check to see if they realize there is a field of fire, and sometimes accidents happen... but right now it's just silly how often people on gather jobs kill themselves... be it turret or hunters..