Cabin Fever issue!

Started by shmooe, September 25, 2014, 10:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shmooe

Ok i get that if you dig into a mountain and wall yourself in your guys will get cabin fever. But, when i wall in a section thats almost half the map size and everyone lives outside in a extremely large protected area full of grass and flowers and still have sever cabin fever the games just broken. how about a perk like peace of mind or something for being protected outside with a wall....like any normal person would. pretty sure if i was in a hostel area. i would want walls around my place instead of anyone just walking in and killing me in my sleep. find this to be kind of a game breaker. Hopefully this new locked doors will fix this. i see no difference if its a wall or a locked door they cant go through. Think cabin fever should be limited to being locked in doors not in a protected outdoor area.   

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

keylocke

perhaps, cabin-fever should only pop out if under a roofed area for too long?

off-topic :

octagon. y u not square? (joke)  ;D

Riveter

Maybe cabin fever is too specific for the number of ways you can be cut off from the outside, but it serves the purpose of describing the worry that you are essentially trapped in an enclosed area with no way out. Imagine being locked in a coliseum with a hungry tiger. If you know there is no way out, it's not much comfort to have all that room to run around in.

Kagemusha

Cabin fever is by definition something that occurs whilst being confined indoors.
This also tends to only manifest in Winter when people are forced to be confined indoors, often in isolation. The problem is that the game considers any enclosed space as indoors. I personally think this should only occur with prisoners who are confined in a single room for too long. Living underground should not give cabin fever. But, implementing this into code is always another matter entirely.

Hence the Spacious Interior bonus as well. Don't see anybody complaining about that :P

I do think that a 'Feel Secure' buff could be a nice thing to see in the game. Not sure how it would be calculated. Maybe the easiest would be implementing a new 'defensive wall' tile that cannot be used to create rooms but is just for creating a formal barricade. An impassable sandbag essentially. And if a space is enclosed by said walls then that space has the 'Feel Secure' mood boost.

fraz

I agree, cabin fever is currently not well implemented. Any spacious area open to the sky (i.e., no roof) should relieve cabin fever. Going outside the colony's perimeter wall should not be necessary, and the current requirement to do so is really just a nuisance.

C. Fenderson

Agreed.  You don't hear many reports of medieval people getting cabin fever from being in their castle walls, just being inside of their home for too long.
Alternate note, what about a dwarf trait/story that makes them immune to this?  Or maybe make people who have a backstory involving mining immune to cabin fever.  I think this'd be a pretty nice feature.

RawCode

IMHO

this is by design and expected to prevent player from walling in, if there is no "path" to any edge of map, cabin fever should trigger

Matthiasagreen

I can see why the OP fees like it shouldn't cause cabin fever in the example. However, as the game is how it is ATM. The easiest way to fix the OP's problem would be to cut a single hole in the wall. Not only would it remove the cabin fever, it will help direct incoming areas to a single area, which makes it easier to defend.

To be fair, people in prison, even with a yard area, still go a bit stir crazy at times with the same environment over and over again. Even ifyour colonists don't ever go past your wall, the thought that they have the option is what gives them comfort.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

shmooe

Quote from: keylocke on September 25, 2014, 11:45:51 PM
perhaps, cabin-fever should only pop out if under a roofed area for too long?

off-topic :

octagon. y u not square? (joke)  ;D

Octagons are cool man lol

shmooe

Thank you for your support on the subject everyone! Glad im not the only one that thinks this needs to be tweaked a bit.

shmooe

Quote from: Matthiasagreen on September 26, 2014, 10:19:10 AM
I can see why the OP fees like it shouldn't cause cabin fever in the example. However, as the game is how it is ATM. The easiest way to fix the OP's problem would be to cut a single hole in the wall. Not only would it remove the cabin fever, it will help direct incoming areas to a single area, which makes it easier to defend.

To be fair, people in prison, even with a yard area, still go a bit stir crazy at times with the same environment over and over again. Even ifyour colonists don't ever go past your wall, the thought that they have the option is what gives them comfort.

Ok but in a prison everything inside is trying to kill you, in my case everything outside the wall is. So again i feel a buff is in order. I only walled it off to try and make another colony that wouldn't run across the map to the 1st one i had on the same map. currently there is no way to have multiple colonies. I find during a large attack I can better defend if i can flank the enemy with other colonies I have made because the AI colonies just wonder around and dont help you fight half the time. This is due to the fact they always just run to your base and not at the enemy you are fighting...sigh

shmooe

Quote from: C. Fenderson on September 26, 2014, 06:37:39 AM
Agreed.  You don't hear many reports of medieval people getting cabin fever from being in their castle walls, just being inside of their home for too long.
Alternate note, what about a dwarf trait/story that makes them immune to this?  Or maybe make people who have a backstory involving mining immune to cabin fever.  I think this'd be a pretty nice feature.

Nice comment I agree with this.

ApexPredator

To be fair we don’t have many reports about anything from that time let alone scientific reports on psychology. The only time people would be confined to a castle/fort is during a siege by an army. I am sure peasants being confined to a castle  for days/weeks while an army waited for them to run out of food or destroy the wall  to go kill them all was less than an enjoyable time and they probably exhibited symptoms of cabin fever before it was a thing.
As for the OP, I see no problem with the current game mechanic. By walling yourself in (with no opening) you are exploiting the game so that most threats cannot get to you or are not triggered. I see the cabin fever as a way to overcome this. However, I would like to see social reduce the impact on cabin fever but one thing at a time.

shmooe

Quote from: ApexPredator on September 27, 2014, 04:26:04 PM

To be fair we don�t have many reports about anything from that time let alone scientific reports on psychology. The only time people would be confined to a castle/fort is during a siege by an army. I am sure peasants being confined to a castle  for days/weeks while an army waited for them to run out of food or destroy the wall  to go kill them all was less than an enjoyable time and they probably exhibited symptoms of cabin fever before it was a thing.
As for the OP, I see no problem with the current game mechanic. By walling yourself in (with no opening) you are exploiting the game so that most threats cannot get to you or are not triggered. I see the cabin fever as a way to overcome this. However, I would like to see social reduce the impact on cabin fever but one thing at a time.

Really... is that why this works just fine and is way way more cheater then? Please explain the game being fine again i missed something because here i am walled in like crazy and decided... hmm im just gonna dig off the map and make an opening (on the right side of map). cabin fever cured!!! and everything gives up before they can do anything. even mechs get killed by visitors, enemy attacks, insane animals, all before getting to me. i just sell out when the wall gets bad and rebuild it with all the loads of rock i have from digging. But its fine right? (Yes alot of this base was made with the dev tools to show my point quickly, it has been months with no issues)even broke this guys thoughts... he starved

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Rahjital

To be fair, you broke so much of the game by this approach that cabin fever is not really important anymore :P