[Suggestion] Nests - Spawns for pests

Started by Matty, November 05, 2013, 08:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matty

You've got a nice farm going, protected from raiders, plenty of metal.. but what's this? A small hole has developed outside near your farm.
1 or 2 squirrels or boomrats come out per day, nibble on your potatoes and scurry off.

What to do?
Well, you could research pesticides to stop this from happening.
You could also assign a worker to destroy the hole
Or you could wall the nest in, creating a home for your would-be pets (or target practice)

giannikampa

Resurrecting this because I was to make a similar one: Nests

Now we have many small animals that could fit this, i'm thinking of rats in particular, but other could exist as well.

"Small animal nests" could spawn as a neutral incident allover the map or in walls/vents too. No need for the message letterbox.
(Tom&Jerry.jpg)
Hungry small animals could spawn on a regular basis, nothing terrific, except those in your base walls and vents because they could drastically reduce your food and add plenty of dirt until eradicated.
And maybe growing zones could have higher chance to trigger a nest in them.
On nest destruction random 0 to 3 manhunting could spawn.
Nests in walls means the wall tile gets destroyed and has to be rebuilt.
As already suggested elsewere small animals could consider these nests and vents as passable. (This maybe unnecessarily complicated to code)
A specific nest-only animal could be created in addition to the existing small animals: i'm thinking of cockroach: very weak and very prolific.
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

Third_Of_Five

Quote from: Matty on November 05, 2013, 08:29:37 PM
You've got a nice farm going, protected from raiders, plenty of metal.. but what's this? A small hole has developed outside near your farm.
1 or 2 squirrels or boomrats come out per day, nibble on your potatoes and scurry off.

What to do?
Well, you could research pesticides to stop this from happening.
You could also assign a worker to destroy the hole
Or you could wall the nest in, creating a home for your would-be pets (or target practice)

+1

This would make pest-hunters like cats and foxes more useful. Also perhaps they could not  only spawn in crop fields, but inside of bases as well? I could imagine a burrow appearing inside your fridge, with rats coming out to steal some of your food.