How to bring the colonies out into the open again?

Started by stefanstr, September 27, 2014, 04:49:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaxxa

Quote from: obuw on October 20, 2014, 07:16:25 PM
1- The raiders dropping right on top of you event is extremely annoying, and this alone is the reason I moved from a half-outside, half-underground base to a completely-underground base. I think this needs to be removed altogether.

A bit of self promotion, but I think it is relevant:

The recent version of my mod, Enhanced-Defence, has a shield that can intercept Droppods
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6636.0

While Shields can not stop DropPods as they to weapon, because of their increased Mass, they can make certain that they cant stop it. It can overload the Avionics system, causing the decent rockets not to fire so that the DropPod slams into the ground at terminal Velocity.

Practically this means that instead of drooping off people they will now hit the ground with a bang.

Arcfault

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on October 19, 2014, 07:19:00 AM
I think you mean "plethora" of options, not "dearth." But yeah.

Ugh. That's what happens when you post late at night.

Also, I do want to point out that I build numerous DF type colonies and when the inevitable raid hits, those mortars of theirs destroys rooms and stuff in my colony, in the mountain. I don't check the roof type so it could be a difference between thin versus thick here, but mortars being setup isn't automatically negated by building into a mountain.

ShadowDragon8685

Quote from: Jaxxa on October 20, 2014, 07:23:32 PM
1- The raiders dropping right on top of you event is extremely annoying, and this alone is the reason I moved from a half-outside, half-underground base to a completely-underground base. I think this needs to be removed altogether.

The recent version of my mod, Enhanced-Defence, has a shield that can intercept Droppods

While Shields can not stop DropPods as they to weapon, because of their increased Mass, they can make certain that they cant stop it. It can overload the Avionics system, causing the decent rockets not to fire so that the DropPod slams into the ground at terminal Velocity.

Practically this means that instead of drooping off people they will now hit the ground with a bang.

No offense, but...

Trading "Raiders drop in the middle of your base, kek" for "Raiders kamikaze into the middle of your base explosively" doesn't seem like it's a very good deal, I'll be perfectly honest. It's like bargaining the mob who've come to break both of your legs and kick your teeth in for late payments of debts down to breaking one of your legs and kicking you in the crotch until you can't feel your johnson anymore.

It's better than getting both legs broken and all your teeth knocked out, but it still ain't exactly great.
Raiders must die!

Jaxxa

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on October 21, 2014, 04:53:05 AM
No offense, but...

Trading "Raiders drop in the middle of your base, kek" for "Raiders kamikaze into the middle of your base explosively" doesn't seem like it's a very good deal, I'll be perfectly honest. It's like bargaining the mob who've come to break both of your legs and kick your teeth in for late payments of debts down to breaking one of your legs and kicking you in the crotch until you can't feel your johnson anymore.

It's better than getting both legs broken and all your teeth knocked out, but it still ain't exactly great.
I don't find it too bad. It is the same as incendiary mortars, so it only starts a fire and one of the other shields have a fire suppression mods, you can use. But feel free to play test and give balance suggestions on the thread, I may remove it if people don't like it.

Geokinesis

Annoying in what way? If it is due to having enemies bypass your killbox or w/e an easy solution is to have defenses inside your base.

If this event occurs in my outdoor colonies, there'll be maybe a few turrets in range, very little decent cover for the people dropping in AND seeing as it's rather centralised I can draft my colonists and make them shoot from doorways/alleyways.

In general I find the event pretty easy, although the raiders do still have a chance to mess up my base and hurt my colonists which is good. It isn't some insurmountable problem, but a challenge that can be overcome and have fun knock on effects.

TrashMan

Multiple, simoultaneus, devastating drop pods assaults.
We shall call this manuver STEEL RAIN!

SimpleLogician

I have an idea that I've been kicking around for a while and I think it is applicable to this issue. Food is great and all, but what about water? I was thinking of adding water pumps that would need to be built with at least a little bit of metal (though you could build wood or stone based ones) and have to be built next to water. I'm not sure about pipes or anything like that, but the pump would need to be powered electrically and would fill sinks, or fountains with gallons of water that your colonists would need to drink. They would require far less but would need it far more often and would die much faster from not having it. You could have a bill added to a fountain to create bottled water which could be stored and carried as gear and bottled water would sell for very cheap ($.50) and water tanks that would store excess gallons from the pump(s). This means that your colony would be required to have and protect water pumps outside of the mountain or you would have to buy a lot of water all the time or both. Even better, an extra bill could be added to utilize berries or other foods to make flavored drinks. These would make the colonists thirsty faster, but would grant a mood boost.

Redclaw

I have no idea if it's possible but a oxygen system meaning further into the mountain you get it's more difficult to breath, Air vents would fix this but not be around early on, just a thought.
The best Bait for visitors is a place to eat.

stefanstr

Quote from: Redclaw on October 22, 2014, 12:33:29 AM
I have no idea if it's possible but a oxygen system meaning further into the mountain you get it's more difficult to breath, Air vents would fix this but not be around early on, just a thought.

I like it much better than the water idea. Drinking water would add another action colonists would have to take (plus bring water to prisoners and patients) which would add more micro and exacerbate problems with exploring big maps.

A ventillation system on the other hand - would be semi-automated (you would have to set it up but it would be a passive modifier.) I think it could be easily tied to the health system. If you don't get enough oxygen, your immunity is going to suffer. Or we could have asphyxiation as a separate condition. Building air vents would add some additional cost to mountain colonies (material- and power-wise) without being too annoying. (Which would even out the costs of mountain colonies and outdoor colonies.)

Also, if vents were a researchable item, it would delay dwarfing and add some challenge to the early game.

What do you guys think?

BTW. I usually don't use mods, but if somebody was to make a mod with air vents, I think it might be the first mod I would actually use for longer than one game.

EarthyTurtle

Quote from: stefanstr on October 22, 2014, 04:28:50 AM

I like it much better than the water idea. Drinking water would add another action colonists would have to take (plus bring water to prisoners and patients) which would add more micro and exacerbate problems with exploring big maps.

A ventillation system on the other hand - would be semi-automated (you would have to set it up but it would be a passive modifier.) I think it could be easily tied to the health system. If you don't get enough oxygen, your immunity is going to suffer. Or we could have asphyxiation as a separate condition. Building air vents would add some additional cost to mountain colonies (material- and power-wise) without being too annoying. (Which would even out the costs of mountain colonies and outdoor colonies.)

Also, if vents were a researchable item, it would delay dwarfing and add some challenge to the early game.

What do you guys think?

BTW. I usually don't use mods, but if somebody was to make a mod with air vents, I think it might be the first mod I would actually use for longer than one game.

Tbh I'm not a fan of oxygen ideas myself. Perhaps certain risks revolving around atmosphere y
eah, but other than that I don't like it simply for the idea that mining would take a lot longer to complete in a mountain.

stefanstr

Well, I think that mining *should* take longer than it currently does. It is bordering on absurd that you can mine a chamber in about the same time that you would need to build a wooden shack of the same size.

Noobshock

I understand where people are coming from with the mining but I really don't think changing mining speed would prevent players from just turning on mining on all their colonists to expedite the work and still tunnel in the mountain.

The higher combat lethality and the harder it is to replace colonists, the more people will value safety above all. As far as combat is concerned I think the big range weapons are the primary culprit: it's just borderline stupid to even try and get close for "interesting tactics" in an overwhelming amount of combat situations just because you have m24s taking potshots at whatever you're doing from a mile away. And then there needs to be new ways to recruit colonists, migrants that want to join you, visitors you can talk into joining through negotiation or if you impress them enough, more slave ships, open to ideas here.

Once more weapons and tactics are open that can "deal with" range (or range is nerfed), and once we can replace colonists a little easier than now (99% tribals, lol), people will be less focused on impenetrable defense and killboxes.

obuw

Quote from: Jaxxa on October 20, 2014, 07:23:32 PM

Actually I'm playing TTM, which I think includes a version of your mod. Nice work indeed. =)

In the end I just constructed a roof over my entire outdoor area. I add a no-roof zone around my orbital beacon when I want to sell stuff, and remove it when I'm done selling. Problem solved, no more raiders armies dropping right in the middle of my base all the time.

EarthyTurtle

Lets not nerf more, lets encourage more :).

Actually I just started a creative building thread if anyone feels like joining in the fun.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=7061.0
Hope you don't mind me posting this here.

Coenmcj

Quote from: TinnedEpic on October 22, 2014, 06:53:25 AM
Quote from: stefanstr on October 22, 2014, 04:28:50 AM

What do you guys think?

Tbh I'm not a fan of oxygen ideas myself. Perhaps certain risks revolving around atmosphere y
eah, but other than that I don't like it simply for the idea that mining would take a lot longer to complete in a mountain.

I'll just point out that Tynan has previously stated that Oxygen is something that will not be returning.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite