Easter Eggs with World Seeds

Started by Terramorphus, September 28, 2014, 09:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terramorphus

This may not be the best suggestion but i think it would be cool to have Easter Eggs involving the world generator. This is something i see happening way down the line, but i think it would be cool to have certain codes generate the planets from books or movies.

The idea came to me as i was messing with the generator, and i thought i would try and find a code that would generate a planet such as that of Arrakis or Dune, from one of my favorite sy-fy novels. I typed in both names for the planet, but ended up with worlds dominated mostly by forest and jungle, unlike the planet that is dominated by desert and arid land :'(. Halo actually generated a world with a mostly circular continent :D, but no planet i found was dominated by snow and ice such as Hoth, or dessert such as Tatooine, or large forests like Endor. I would like to see easter egg worlds such as these when a certain code is typed in, that captures their likeness.

Again, this is not something that is a priority, but just a fun little idea i thought of, and i am sure others have as well. ;D

TheXIIILightning

Yeah, I can see this as a nice little thing that could be added later for fun.
Like entering the code "Earth" to generate... well, Earth!

Though I assume that it'd be a bit tricky to create specific Worlds for specific Seeds. From what I've seen from my attempts, the generator relies on a set code in order to give a 'realistic' world for the player to use. You rarely see the same continents or a specific set of land with the same temperature and rainfall. I tried entering codes composed out of many numbers, letters and such, but found zero bugs and no 'familiar' maps.

It kinda reminds me of the new game "No Man's Sky", where a worker's telephone number is supposedly 'the key' to generating an endless universe of randomly generated planets... Hey! Just like Rimworld with its 'World Seeds' and landing zones! No two areas are the same in this game! :D

Johnny Masters

I think this could be obtainable with some kind of slider at world generation, there'd be a range between 0% to 100% occurrence/quantity of several factors, such as how many % of some type of biome the world will possess, how much water, mountains, etc.

If it were possible to "slide" a single map, things could go even more specific, you could check how much % is composed of rocks, trees, minerals, grass, dirt, flora, fauna... Pretty much anything, perhaps even deciding enemy presence (more raiders, more mecha, monsters?). Then, hopefully, it would be sent to generate in a plausible form. I don't know how hard that would be or how it would integrate with the current seed method.

Terramorphus

Maybe he will eventually make a world creator we could mess with, and then we could make any planet we like! :D
(Unless there is one already? :o)
Super excited for No Man's Sky by the way! ;D

Johnny Masters

Quote from: Terramorphus on September 29, 2014, 12:05:22 AM
Maybe he will eventually make a world creator we could mess with, and then we could make any planet we like! :D
(Unless there is one already? :o)

world creator *-*