On the subject of Mortars

Started by ParagonTerminus, September 30, 2014, 12:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ParagonTerminus

Worthless in Colonist hands, OP in Raider hands. How?

Well, when recently besieged, I sent out my two best sharpshooters to man an Incendiary and Explosive mortar of mine to kill off the raiders, who had their own mortars. Out of at least 20 shots, only one of ours landed and barely scratched one of the raiders.

Meanwhile, their two Mortar gunners were flawlessly destroying my homes, my generators, power conduits, etc. This needs to change, heavily.

Either improve colonist accuracy with Mortars or seriously nerf Pirate accuracy with mortars. I'll be happy with either.
Hi there! I hail from the Sky9, FTL, and Katawa Shoujo forums, so if you're on any of those, I (might) know you.

Now carry along, I'm sure the guy below me has something interesting and contributive to say.

Matthiasagreen

keep in mind two things

Your base is probably bigger than theirs and, therefore, easier to hit.
Shooting skill, if I am not mistaken, does not affect mortar ability.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Darth Fool

Also, keep in mind that the AI is particularly stupid and will launch mortar fire at your closest colonist, so if you send a colonist out in the direction of the enemy mortars, not in range of bandit snipers, and away from your valuable buildings, they will uselessly attack the individual.  Hopefully this will change in the future, but for now, it is trivial to prevent Enemy mortars from being a serious threat.

ParagonTerminus

Quote from: Darth Fool on September 30, 2014, 01:37:58 PM
Also, keep in mind that the AI is particularly stupid and will launch mortar fire at your closest colonist, so if you send a colonist out in the direction of the enemy mortars, not in range of bandit snipers, and away from your valuable buildings, they will uselessly attack the individual.  Hopefully this will change in the future, but for now, it is trivial to prevent Enemy mortars from being a serious threat.

Never said they were anything but trivial, but it is quite annoying to have to rebuild walls and power conduits when you have no idea they were destroyed.

Anyways, in the end they got bored of camping it out and attacked, and were thusly arseraped by my defense.
Hi there! I hail from the Sky9, FTL, and Katawa Shoujo forums, so if you're on any of those, I (might) know you.

Now carry along, I'm sure the guy below me has something interesting and contributive to say.

RemingtonRyder

Mortars are most effective against siegers when there's a decent crowd of them to hit.  If they don't have snipers, your best best may be to move in and pick them off from range.

Also, there's nothing stopping you from building three or more mortars to give you more chances to hit.