Blank Screen Startup Mac OS X 10.9.4 and 10.9.5

Started by jotapeh, October 01, 2014, 11:56:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stefanstr

Mac-using developers at that... ;)

I am not a professional developer but I know a fair bit about programming and am doing it as a hobby. (Nothing publicly released to show for it, though.)

asciiface

Quote from: Mystic on October 07, 2014, 10:41:28 AM
I may be talking through my hat here, but I thought I'd read something that indicated Unity had an API method for returning the native resolutions supported by a display.  I don't know if that API exists, or if it works correctly on Macs or not, but if it does, I wonder if it might be possible for RimWorld itself to query that information and then change to a/the natively supported resolution immediately before attempting the switch to fullscreen?  Could that possibly address this issue without a Unity patch?
[/quote]

I suppose the same could be said for most software development, of course ... anything implemented without thought and care is asking for trouble.  :)  I'm sure Tynan would give it the thought required beforehand.  At least it would be worth trying, because I suspect that waiting for a fix from the Unity developers might be a long, long wait (based upon things I've read elsewhere).

You're in the software development business too, then?  As am I (for over three decades now).  From what I am seeing, there's no shortage of technical know-how in the RimWorld user community ... it must be the type of game that appeals to other developers.
[/quote]

TechOps technically (devops+sysadmin). I am more of a systems/linux guy, but I do write a lot of tooling! I think it is the style of game that attracts, in the same way as RTS's and similar.

asciiface

Quote from: stefanstr on October 07, 2014, 02:56:16 PM
Mac-using developers at that... ;)

I am not a professional developer but I know a fair bit about programming and am doing it as a hobby. (Nothing publicly released to show for it, though.)

I started using mac for work because of the native command line and compilation capability. I primarily work with Linux so it made sense to have a native interface (WINE and puttySSH can ***k a ***k), in the end I just ended up enjoying it more and tend to sacrifice playing some games I really want to play to help support the mac gaming community by being involved in testing + bug hunts.

Arcfault

I realize that the issue is moving into a possible Unity bug, but I just wanted to post that I was experiencing the same issue as well. Black screen, can hear the audio and see the cursor but nothing else. Switching to windowed mode works fine. Currently running a 2009 15" MBPro, 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB running 10.9.5. I'm running the latest Alpha Build.

Eck

It looks like Rimworld isn't the only game suffering from this problem.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/black-screen-after-game-start-on-mac-os.224820/

Apparently, starting the game in full screen on a Mac in a non-native resolution can cause the black screen for some mac users. It looks like the bug may have been fixed in Unity 4.5.4.

From the log files I saw earlier, it looks like Rimworld was still using 4.5.3 which is where other people were having the problem too.

I hope this helps. :)

- Eck

Mystic

Quote from: Eck on October 20, 2014, 05:03:08 PM
It looks like Rimworld isn't the only game suffering from this problem.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/black-screen-after-game-start-on-mac-os.224820/

Apparently, starting the game in full screen on a Mac in a non-native resolution can cause the black screen for some mac users. It looks like the bug may have been fixed in Unity 4.5.4.

From the log files I saw earlier, it looks like Rimworld was still using 4.5.3 which is where other people were having the problem too.

I hope this helps. :)

- Eck

Yeah, that looks very, very promising ... great find.  It would be nice to hear whether Tynan has any thought of moving up to Unity 4.5.4, either for a patch release or (at least) for Alpha 8.

Eck

In the mean time, you can probably get the game to run by running it in windowed mode. Or if you are able to specify the resolution of Rimworld in the config files, set it to your native screen resolution and that might do the trick.

- Eck

Mystic

Quote from: Eck on October 20, 2014, 06:19:22 PM
In the mean time, you can probably get the game to run by running it in windowed mode. Or if you are able to specify the resolution of Rimworld in the config files, set it to your native screen resolution and that might do the trick.

Yes, I've been running Alpha 7 in windowed mode for now.  As detailed earlier in this thread, I can also run Alpha 7 in fullscreen mode as long as I go back to Alpha 6 to actually set the fullscreen mode in the first place ... that way Alpha 7 sees the full native window resolution in fullscreen mode at startup and sidesteps the problem.  But it's a pain to do that, so for now I'm just going with windowed mode.

Also as seen earlier in this thread, a good deal of effort was put into trying to update config files, without success, unfortunately.  Read back through the thread to see much more detail on those efforts.

I'm just glad to hear it is a Unity bug that has been fixed, and now am hoping to hear that RimWorld will be capitalizing on that fix soon.

Mystic

Based on Tynan's change log from today, it looks like this issue will most likely be resolved with the next alpha:

• Updated to Unity 4.5.5.

beast

I'm getting a similar error; instead of the blank start-up screen, whenever I try to load my colony I get a wierd color-distorted loading screen, but I can still hear the sounds of the game I'm just stuck in the loading screen. Game version is Alpha 8f unmodded and I created my colony in the same version, also always playing in windowed mode. I'm playing on a macbook pro OSX Yosemite v10.10. Here's my Unity player.log https://www.dropbox.com/s/wuy41uqfdv3iffl/Player.log?dl=0

Tynan

Quote from: beast on January 20, 2015, 12:41:31 PM
I'm getting a similar error; instead of the blank start-up screen, whenever I try to load my colony I get a wierd color-distorted loading screen, but I can still hear the sounds of the game I'm just stuck in the loading screen. Game version is Alpha 8f unmodded and I created my colony in the same version, also always playing in windowed mode. I'm playing on a macbook pro OSX Yosemite v10.10. Here's my Unity player.log https://www.dropbox.com/s/wuy41uqfdv3iffl/Player.log?dl=0

You're not playing unmodded. The log says, "<li Class="battlestations.newSelectorThing">", which is not a class from the main game.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

beast

Quote from: Tynan on January 20, 2015, 01:44:36 PMYou're not playing unmodded. The log says, "<li Class="battlestations.newSelectorThing">", which is not a class from the main game.

Hmmm, I removed that mod from my rimworld mods folder quite some time ago, could that be why the game is starting to glitch? I also have removed all mods loaded in the "mods" menu.

EDIT: Nevermind, creating a new colony without any mods works okay, removing that mod a while ago must've corrupted the save.

stefanstr

I think the problem originally described in this topic has been solved with Alpha 8. I am not running into any problems at least.